Quantcast
Ireland becomes world's first country to divest from fossil fuels - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Ireland becomes world's first country to divest from fossil fuels

Default Ireland becomes world's first country to divest from fossil fuels

or meanignless becasue they still use it?

First country sounds impressive though
    https://www.theguardian.com/environm...m-fossil-fuels

My Ride
    Bicycle

Nah, your boy Trump will make coal great again.

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

LOL - $300mm

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Bill passed by parliament means more than €300m shares in coal, oil, peat and gas will be sold ‘as soon as practicable’
    What a load of bollocks..

I too announce that I will sell my petrol guzzling SUV as soon as it becomes practicable ..

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I too announce that I will sell my petrol guzzling SUV as soon as it becomes practicable ..
    Well you didn't expect Gestroll to post anything intelligent or thought provoking, did you?
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Well you didn't expect JRSC00LUDEtroll to post anything intelligent or thought provoking, did you?
    fixed

I laughed to. But its a start and implies they at least wont be buying new perltrol guzzling suvs i guess

Im impressed to read about there development of clean energy industry.

There was a globe article talking about what if canada had spent the same 200 billion on wind and solar instead of albertas oil sand hand outs since 1999. Lobby is interesting

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
    I laughed to. But its a start and implies they at least wont be buying new perltrol guzzling suvs i guess

Im impressed to read about there development of clean energy industry.

There was a globe article talking about what if canada had spent the same 200 billion on wind and solar instead of albertas oil sand hand outs since 1999. Lobby is interesting
    It is interesting... and I am keen to know how one can produce plastics and paint from Solar and Wind...
    Energy is one byproduct of oil.

Take the world cup as another example. In England during half time, a lot of people put the kettle on to make a cup of tea. This causes a spike in energy used. Engineers have to plan for this and generate more energy. Fire up a another power station..
    How will you make more wind and sun in the same scenario..?
    If its nighttime and its not windy... Where is the energy going to come from...?
    The issue for green energy is the storage of energy.. This problem is not being addressed on a industrial scale.

My Ride
    Bicycle

It is interesting... and I am keen to know how one can produce plastics and paint from Solar and Wind...

Take the world cup as another example. In England during half time, a lot of people put the kettle on to make a cup of tea. This causes a spike in energy used. Engineers have to plan for this and generate more energy. Fire up a another power station..
    If its nighttime and its not windy... Where is the energy going to come from...?
    The issue for green energy is the storage of energy.. This problem is not being addressed on a industrial scale.
    Well,

You have to pay double to have more solar, and wind (right now anyway, some regions closer to equator is on par to have solar at $0.03/kwh which rival coal generation).

Then pay double again to have more battery to store them to use at night and when wind dies down.

Then you have to upgrade all the substations to handle the extra load generated by EV.

Then you have to upgrade all the grid to be smart so you can shut down any excess home generation that may blow the grid out.

Once those are done, I'm pretty sure you electricity bill will either doubled or being offset by government dollars to reduce impact to consumers. End of the day, someone's gotta pay.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 07-12-2018 at 12:47 PM.

My Ride
    ute

Name:  abae6.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  41.0 KB

Clean energy is a start. Plastic from plants and waste works, but beside the point really. Only children talk of all or none scensrios. Reality is we can slash dirty energy by half or more quickly

Power scaling i dont see as a issue. When my generator runs a tv in the rv its lower speed and load. Turn on the toaster microwave and it kicks up. . Same as the alternstor in my car. It can spin at 2500 rpm and make 2 amps or 150 amp. Pretty simple weve had that covered for a 100 years. Lets not pretend to turn a ant hill into mount everest. If the design is so bad engineers to to plan for normal fluctuations months in advance, it needs to be scrapped.

Solar and wind storage possibilities are almost infenite. Besides battereis, they have undergroubd steam storage, or they like Cresent Dunes use solar heat to melt salt and store it molten, then use it to make steam when needed. It stores molten for months. Then there are low tech things like use the energy to pump water up into a reservoir and use a damn to generste when needed or compressong various gases and storing them Hydrogen gas generation and hydrogen cells. Then there are MITs liquid metal batteries. Theres still flywheels and such.

Alternatives are doing as a favour and allowing innovation and creativity. Its very cool to see the progress and ideas so simple. Easy Oil has made us stupid and turned us into negative nellies
    Last edited by Gestalt; 07-12-2018 at 01:21 PM.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

I don't frame the argument as a all or none scenarios. I find its the other way around actually.
    Oil is framed as energy to the issue of power. Oil is not just energy. Its byproducts support many other industries and jobs.

Green energy is nothing new. It just get's re-marketed to the new generation of people who have not fully understood how the world works. Right now its called 'Alternative energy'. Give it another ten years and the greens will be calling it something else.

Your argument about alternatives doing us a favour is nothing new. I liken it to someone only just discovering that you can buy sliced bread and telling the whole world about it.

Sure there are alternatves as you have mentioned. But there is other variables. Does Alberta have the geography to support Hydro electric dams? Im not fully sure about solar. I was at a BBQ yesterday and I was speaking to someone who works at a small energy company. He does not see Solar in Alberta on the scale like we do in hotter climates. I mean what does one do when there is a snow storm?
    Sure you can get

Power scaling is a issue. Lets take the pathetic example you listed. The simple variable in you example is that it uses oil. Oil has stored energy that is very dense and mobile.
    We have engineers, people with PHD trying to address this issue and your telling me you think its is solved? What a load of verbal wank. I can imagine the headlines. World energy crisis solved by Canadian making sunday toast to have with his tea.

Green energy is not just the answer. It has to be taken with the geo political reality, our economic resources and out place in the world.
    Here is a prime example. Im from a country that has fuck all natural resources. It is placing sanctions on Soviet Russia for a variety of reasons. But here is the fucked up part.. the UK has to buy its gas from Russia. What a dumb situtation to be in. That is the prime incetive to where green energy should be flourishing. But its not. If it can't take off there. How will it take off in Alberta a place where there are oil reserves bigger than Saudi Arabia..?

Im all for green energy. Until the greens stop hijacking the sustability issue and really put thier resources into addressing the REAL engineering problem of storing the energy. Its just a load of wank. This 'progress' Its just to make us feel good.

You have a lot of misinformed beliefs

Alberta is exceprional for solar. I have never seen a day bad enough where my solar drops to zero.

There are tons of high tech and low tech storage options. Some are miliseconds to scale.

You have some very old denier and defeatist attitudes and beleifs.

Theres always easy excuses why soemthibg cant be done yet here we are flying in space and eradicating disease.

Alberta is exceprional for solar. I have never seen a day bad enough where my solar drops to zero.

There are tons of high tech and low tech storage options. Some are miliseconds to scale.

Theres always easy excuses why soemthibg cant be done yet here we are flying in space and eradicating disease.
    I honestly thought he was approaching you with a very open mind and approach and here you are being a useless again.

I don't see a single source of information to counter his comments

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 01:47 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Don't worry about Solar Gestalt.

Trump's new EPA head is making coal even cheaper that solar and wind won't matter.

https://earther.com/the-former-coal-...m.w4qeyprq44lp