Garage epoxy floor DIY - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Garage epoxy floor DIY

My Ride
    Lease

@shadowz . That is a sexy garage.

My Ride
    ute

When I change my winter/summer wheels, my floor jack invariably drags a looks pebble across my concrete garage floor. No much damage, but a scratch/abrasion type thing. Can this stuff hold up to that type of abuse?

My Ride
    KTM

@killramos They just role it up the wall. From what I have seen you cut in the pony wall and edge of floor first, then finish the wall. Im 100% tackling this myself, will post pics couple weeks out still for sure.

@shadowz Looks really good. I think the going rate if you shop around is about 5$ give or take..... did they grind yours? I was quoted $4.50 today with the grinding done.

My Ride
    14' 435i

Quote Originally Posted by craigcd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    @shadowz Looks really good. I think the going rate if you shop around is about 5$ give or take..... did they grind yours? I was quoted $4.50 today with the grinding done.
    from where!?

My Ride
    UCF20/R35

@killramos They just role it up the wall. From what I have seen you cut in the pony wall and edge of floor first, then finish the wall. Im 100% tackling this myself, will post pics couple weeks out still for sure.

Thanks, and yes they did grind mine

Originally posted by rage2
    Can someone who speaks brown please translate this for me please?

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

What sealer are you planning to use? Rustoleum sells a sealers also......
    I'm going to northland concrete and having them recommend something. I got some from there for my driveway and it was way better than the home depot stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Asian_defender View Post
    I'm going to northland concrete and having them recommend something. I got some from there for my driveway and it was way better than the home depot stuff
    im looking to get some sealer for exposed driveway...they have stuff there?

I purchased a 100% solids kit, flakes, tools from Polymer Science in the SE. My garage is 1100sqft and cost for product and tools was a little over $1000 which should cover 1200sqft. Base coat, tint, 50lb box of flakes and clear top coat. Knowledgeable and nice staff and handy that they have quality tools available for purchase for reasonable cost. https://polymersciencecorp.com. I had initially bought 5 kits from the costco sale but didn't like that there is no clear coat on top of the flakes. This is a professional product.. we'll see how DIY it is. Floor is being diamond ground, concrete 12 months old.

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

Quote Originally Posted by rach View Post
    im looking to get some sealer for exposed driveway...they have stuff there?
    Yes they do

My Ride
    KTM

Quote Originally Posted by martincc View Post
    I purchased a 100% solids kit, flakes, tools from Polymer Science in the SE. My garage is 1100sqft and cost for product and tools was a little over $1000 which should cover 1200sqft. Base coat, tint, 50lb box of flakes and clear top coat. Knowledgeable and nice staff and handy that they have quality tools available for purchase for reasonable cost. https://polymersciencecorp.com. I had initially bought 5 kits from the costco sale but didn't like that there is no clear coat on top of the flakes. This is a professional product.. we'll see how DIY it is. Floor is being diamond ground, concrete 12 months old.

When are you planning on doing it?

Its going down now.. but I ended up paying someone to do it. Will end up between $5-6/sqft.. so DIY fail. The concrete prep was too ineffective and slow to do with a 110v rental floor grinder I had so ended up paying someone to come prep it properly and at that point I had them apply the epoxy while at it since its the same product they use and my timeline is tight before headed out of town for a few weeks. So no feedback on DIY.. other than plan to do the prep professionally for best results, or rent a large enough machine and have 220v power available. I did do the home depot style kit on our old house and it looked OK for a few months but even after acid washing as per instructions it peeled pretty quick and was a waste of money. Seeing the amount of prep a professional does and equipment required I now know why. Also would need to pick up a few new tools to properly apply DIY..but would save a couple $/sqft in labor.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Craigcd you ever get around to this?

Thinking about doing it myself as well.

My Ride
    KTM

Quote Originally Posted by JfuckinC View Post
    Craigcd you ever get around to this?

Thinking about doing it myself as well.
    @JfuckinC I still plan to but my timeline has been pushed out. The builder ended up busting out my garage floor and then re-poured it. Unfortunately that means it should cure for at least three months...... they did in September. So come spring I will have to rent a grinder and get it done. I watched the neighbor across the street have his done professionally- they were in and out in 5-6 hours and it looks awesome, I am certain I can get the same finish.

In retrospect I should have grabbed his contact info and offered him 500$ to do mine if I supplied everything!

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

@JfuckinC I still plan to but my timeline has been pushed out. The builder ended up busting out my garage floor and then re-poured it. Unfortunately that means it should cure for at least three months...... they did in September. So come spring I will have to rent a grinder and get it done. I watched the neighbor across the street have his done professionally- they were in and out in 5-6 hours and it looks awesome, I am certain I can get the same finish.

In retrospect I should have grabbed his contact info and offered him 500$ to do mine if I supplied everything!
    They must have been able to blame their concrete guys hahah. That would have been crazy $$$ to remove and pour again.

My Ride
    KTM

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    They must have been able to blame their concrete guys hahah. That would have been crazy $$$ to remove and pour again.
    Ya it was the concrete guys fault. If it wasn't such a hassle I would post a pic, it looked like wavy lake and was terrible.
    I think the total cost was about 7-8 k. A guy came in and cut it into pieces, removed with a bobcat, loaded into bins, then the concrete guy prepped and re-poured the floor. I actually would have settled for cash(less than 7-8k) or some other smaller concrete work but it didn't go that way.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Why the 3 month cure? we didn't power trowel mine, so i don't think it will need to be ground down as it is fairly coarse. I'll probably just wing it and slap some shit down haha.. gotta look into it more.

My Ride
    KTM

@JfuckinC it has to cure for three months to get the moisture out. I think if we were in a warmer climate or mid-summer you could likely get away with doing it sooner. With regards to grinding the top I was told this was important in order to get the top finish off of the concrete and make the finish last(100% solids). Even the Rustoluem kit(50% solids I think) uses an acid etch.

The grinder is cheap-ish to rent but its heavy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2