Quantcast
School me on the Audi TTS MK2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: School me on the Audi TTS MK2

Default School me on the Audi TTS MK2

I have always liked these cars, and they seem to be in a price range now that I feel comfortable buying one for a toy. It would be more of a weekend toy, and get lots of use in the winter. Is the TTS worth the extra money, or should a guy just go with a TT and get a Stage 2 tune? I know they have better suspension, and other goodies, but I am leery of Magnetic Ride replacement cost if something goes wrong. The looks alone on the TTS are nicer to me, but they are harder to find, and pull considerably more money.

Is there anything to look out for as far as buying a used one? I have only ever owned 1 Audi before, and it was a brief 4 month period in a A4 S-Line.

Can I get the servicing done at VW dealership, as we do not have an Audi dealer here, and I don't know of any independent Euro shop here. Major work I could take it to Calgary if it needed any.

My Ride
    LNF

Watch out for shitty skid plates and missing bolts!

My Ride
    Blue boy

Quote Originally Posted by mzdspd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Watch out for shitty skid plates and missing bolts!

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

I'm interested in one too, after 2009, it was only the TTS that still came in manual correct? Although I wouldn't be opposed to getting the DSG either.

Quote Originally Posted by NissanFanBoy View Post
    I'm interested in one too, after 2009, it was only the TTS that still came in manual correct? Although I wouldn't be opposed to getting the DSG either.
    Good to know, I would look at either. I've been going back and forth between a TTS and an S4. S4 is much easier to find what I want in the 2010-2012 range, but I love the lines on the TTS more.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by NissanFanBoy View Post
    TT-RS did as well. My buddy is looking to sell his soon. 2012ish sepang blue.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    2011 Audi TTs

Couple things to watch out for....

- TTs has a timing belt, not a chain, make sure it's been replaced if the mileage is getting up there, the engine is not entirely identical to the standard TT which uses a chain and can have issues with chain tensioners
    - The TTs only comes with audi mag ride struts, they have a tendency to die after 7-8 years, may require replacement or change to aftermarket (2 of mine are leaking fluid but are still functional, if you look online, you'll see a lot of people having the same issue regardless of mileage). this is one of the pricier parts of maintaining the car. the cost of going to a full set of KW V1's is less or equal to going with a pair (2) replacement struts from Audi.
    - Carb buildup can be an issue depending on mileage and if it's been maintained well (pretty common theme with any 2.0T direct injection engine), catch cans, seafoam treatments, or intake manifold cleanings can help mitigate this. PCV valves can go bad over time too because of this
    - Maintenence wise, just make sure all the fluids have been changed regularly, including the DSG service.
    - If you're going for the ragtop, make sure the top seal is still good, mine needed a new seal to get the edges to stop leaking when going through car washes.
    - Keep in mind that this model year doesn't have bluetooth streaming and the RNS-E media system is relatively dated and the GPS is pretty awful. I changed mine out shortly after it was out of warranty.
    - The doors on these cars are heavy and long, watch out for any damage if it's an older car on the hinge and how the door sits when closed and opened.
    - seat sag, hasn't happened to mine but if you look online, sometimes the leather can sag on the bottom of the driver seat over time.
    - cam follower should be inspected if it hasn't been replaced.
    - if its an older mk2, it may have an older diverter valve, check to see if you have the newer revision, the old ones had a higher rate of failure.
    - minor other issues with misfires can happen if the ignition coils/spark plugs need to be replaced.

Ultimately think of it as if you're buying a Golf R or GTI, the platforms are similar in many ways, so as long as you maintain it like you would one of those cars, you'll be safe. I've had mine since 2011 and other than the aformentioned oil change issue up at Jiffy Lube, I've had no serious issues. I had a stage 2 tune done up at Concept 1 and get all my servicing done there, they are GREAT at what they do. I've heard good things about TuneDub as well. I run mine year round with a good set of winters, it handles extremely well in the snow, keep in mind that the TTs is 10mm lower than the standard TT from factory, so if you're running it year round, make sure you have another option on the days that the roads aren't plowed.

If you're curious about the potential of the car, watch this series, they went pretty nuts with it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=melO...5F9DA72E992086
    Last edited by soupey; 07-21-2018 at 03:49 PM.