Quantcast
Prime day 2018 - anyone snag any good deals? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Prime day 2018 - anyone snag any good deals?

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Damn thats expensive!!! $940. You can get cheaper Danby ones from Costco @ $399-499 when on sale
    It's never sold for that, it was $511 before prime day and about $675 for many months before that. They raised the price JUST before prime day, which is the typical scam.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    Thinking about this 14,000 btu portable a/c:
    Haier HPNFD14XCT 14,000 Btu Portable Air Conditioner, Small, Black/Silver https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B071D42VZC/..._PCstBbG2W1XVP

Anyone have any experience with Haier appliances?
    So, I actually have a bit of experience with portable AC units as I've bought two in the past year.

All online reviews pointed to the LG1217GSR being the one to buy. Amazon has had them as low as $399.99, but that is extremely rare according to CamelCamelCamel. Instead, home depot has them in stock for $449.99. I just bought one.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.1...001036782.html

My only complaint is the noise of it, I think all testers are lying sacks of crap or have no idea how to use a soundmeter. 53db my ass, maybe with the fan on low and no AC compressor running? Its not LOUD, but I certainly wouldn't want it next to my bed.

Edit-
    For those who don't know, use this site: https://camelcamelcamel.com/

If you watch things you want, you can see sometimes you can get extraordinary deals for no real good reason. I've probably saved a thousand dollars in the past year over instore and even amazon prices by having alerts setup.

Costco has these 2 on sale this week
    Name:  20180716_125511-Medium.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  88.2 KB
    Name:  20180716_125522-Medium.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  85.5 KB

images from cocowest.ca

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Ring Pro going for $174. Normally $299.
    Hmm, that's pretty tempting.

My Ride
    13 AUDI A4, 14 TUNDRA SR5, 12 VW GOLF TDI

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

bought 3 of these to replace all the locks in the house. Pretty good deal I think..

I picked up a Ring Pro this morning

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Ring Pro going for $174. Normally $299.
    That's pretty neat. We've been wanting a video doorbell for all the solicitors in the area.

Has anyone had theirs stolen?

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    That's pretty neat. We've been wanting a video doorbell for all the solicitors in the area.

Has anyone had theirs stolen?
    Ring apparently replaces it for free if it gets stolen, if you're worried about that.

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    Damn thats expensive!!! $940. You can get cheaper Danby ones from Costco @ $399-499 when on sale
    i think it was $400 yesterday... guess the deal is done now. But yeah don't think anyone has ever actually paid $940 for this thing

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    So, I actually have a bit of experience with portable AC units as I've bought two in the past year.

All online reviews pointed to the LG1217GSR being the one to buy. Amazon has had them as low as $399.99, but that is extremely rare according to CamelCamelCamel. Instead, home depot has them in stock for $449.99. I just bought one.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.1...001036782.html

My only complaint is the noise of it, I think all testers are lying sacks of crap or have no idea how to use a soundmeter. 53db my ass, maybe with the fan on low and no AC compressor running? Its not LOUD, but I certainly wouldn't want it next to my bed.

Edit-
    For those who don't know, use this site: https://camelcamelcamel.com/

If you watch things you want, you can see sometimes you can get extraordinary deals for no real good reason. I've probably saved a thousand dollars in the past year over instore and even amazon prices by having alerts setup.
    any idea how the 12,000 btu compare to 14,000? wonder if it's worth the extra money

My Ride
    Silverado

My guess is it's about 17% better.

My Ride
    V8s

any idea how the 12,000 btu compare to 14,000? wonder if it's worth the extra money
    It's only $100 more. If you keep this thing for 10 years, the incremental cost is $10/yr. That's nothing. If you think for a second that 12k but might not be enough, just get the bigger one.

Also, they say how many ft^2 they're good for on the tag, maybe judge based on that?

I have both 12,000 and 13,000 BTU air conditioners, I don't really notice any difference in their power. They both can cool a bedroom really well, neither of them can cool anywhere near their rated sq footage. Portable air conditioner square footage ratings are VERY VERY over stated. They are basically bedroom coolers, don't go in thinking you can set them up in a 400-500sq ft area and keep it at 20C during the hot summer months - especially if you have a concrete condo, or if you have windows facing the evening sun.

I have LG single hose units that evaporate all the water out the hose so I don't have water to deal with, I love them. They do pressurize the room a bit though, where as the 2-hose designs are much bulkier but provide more of an equal pressure.

Where are you planning on putting it?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

I do not. If in a shaded room, they say you can bump up the ratings 10% (so a 12k btu unit in a room with shades/not a long of windows is like a 13.5k btu unit). The problem you have to be careful with going BIG is that they unit (in theory) may be louder. There are some highly rated 14k units, but they are all pricier than the LG.

https://airconditionerlab.com/best-s...iews/quietest/

The LG is the quietest by a long ways. And as I mentioned, its already louder than I care for it to be, I actually have it in the living room and have it cool off most of the condo, I wouldn't have it next to my bed/in my room. For an idea of how loud 70db is, a youtube video does tow testing of new trucks. Doing max load towing up a mountain pass, most trucks are around 70db at max RPM towing 7klbs up a 8% incline. 70db in a quiet building is fairly noisy.

Edit-
    Mitsu is right, but with a proper setup, it can do a decent job. I'm cooling about 600sqft with mine (as I keep the doors to the bathrooms, 2nd bedoom, and laundry room closed) and its adequate, I'm trying to knock temps down to 20-21*C. I have it on a wifi outlet that auto turns it on before I get home, the LG "remembers" its settings and auto starts if power is lost, so it works perfectly by killing the outlet power. I have it on a schedule, but if its a 30*C+ day like today, I kick it on early.
    Last edited by HiTempguy1; 07-17-2018 at 03:30 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I've spent a few hours looking and the only really good deal I saw was a Seagate Ironwolf Pro 7200rpm 12TB drive for $202. Everything else is just a decent price, nothing crazy. If you look at historical price charts, most of this stuff goes on sale for the same or less many times throughout the year.
    Is it over? Can't find it that low now.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Is it over? Can't find it that low now.
    Yup it's over. Probably the only actual 'deal' I came across that wasn't just an everyday sale price at other times of the year. They're back up to $650 now unfortunately.

I've been monitoring all the RFD forums and it's amazing how many people are losing their minds over $5 discounts thinking they are getting 50% off thanks to Amazon's scammy discount calculation process. They must make a killing on days like this.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 07-17-2018 at 03:40 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Yup it's over. Probably the only actual 'deal' I came across that wasn't just an everyday sale price at other times of the year. They're back up to $650 now unfortunately.

I've been monitoring all the RFD forums and it's amazing how many people are losing their minds over $5 discounts thinking they are getting 50% off thanks to Amazon's scammy discount calculation process. They must make a killing on days like this.
    I'm surprised that nobody use CamelCamelCamel to see if the price is a prime day scam.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

I'm surprised that nobody use CamelCamelCamel to see if the price is a prime day scam.
    I used it for every deal I was interested in. Things like the Ring Pro were by far the cheapest they have ever been, while others were at their lowest by twenty bucks or so.

Yeah you'd think RFD enthusiasts would know about 3camel but most seem to not. I've been using it for years, it saves me so much time and money because I buy almost everything from Amazon these days. Only thing you got to watch is third party price alerts from companies with no feedback, but Amazon covers you up to $2500.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Was waiting for a good deal on a Roomba and I think this may be it.
    Got the Roomba 671 and can't wait to try it out to lower the 3-4x I vacuum everyday from 2 shibas.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast