Quantcast
Gophers, bloody gophers!!! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gophers, bloody gophers!!!

Default Gophers, bloody gophers!!!

I need help. Part of my acreage is overrun by these little pieces of crap. They create mounds that become unsightly and are a pain for myself and my sons to constantly go rake. They make my lawn look like crap. How do I get rid of these. Ive tried poison, a couple of trap, they all kinda help but nothing really gets rid of these.
    2016 Tesla Model X
    2018 Lincoln Navigator
    2016 Porsche GT3 RS

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

it is a never ending battle to be honest unless all your neighbours get in on it too. They are not really territorial and just spread pretty much anywhere they can dig with short grass so your lawn is the perfect target.

I would buy a higher FPS air gun (over 500 fps and you need a licence) and plink em as you see them. spend a few hours a day on your decks for the first week to get the majority of them, and then a few hours a week after keeps them thinned out enough to be somewhat manageable.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

Myself and some friends can assist you with that.
    PM me and we can drop by sometime to help you

Get your sons a few air rifles and have at it! :P

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Dogs are pretty good at gopher control... one good shake and it’s lights out

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

I'm going to disagree with the air rifles. If he's going to go through the hassle of getting his PAL why not get a .22

Buying a condor, outfitting it not to mention scuba tanks
    Cheaper to go .22

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    it is a never ending battle to be honest unless all your neighbours get in on it too. They are not really territorial and just spread pretty much anywhere they can dig with short grass so your lawn is the perfect target.

I would buy a higher FPS air gun (over 500 fps and you need a licence) and plink em as you see them. spend a few hours a day on your decks for the first week to get the majority of them, and then a few hours a week after keeps them thinned out enough to be somewhat manageable.
    Yes, the pellet guns we have now have limited effectiveness. I can't believe I'm actually saying this, but whats involved with me getting a gun license? I am interested in buying a powerful pellet gun. Does it take very long?
    2016 Tesla Model X
    2018 Lincoln Navigator
    2016 Porsche GT3 RS

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Should take you about 3 months from the day you take the course to license in hand. It's a one day course, then a 28 day wait period and then they'll process your application. $60 fee if you only go for your non-restricted license, $80 and a second day course if you get your restricted. I have the book still if you wanted to get a jump on it, but the course is still mandatory.

In the meantime, if you want, I can drop by and you can take crack at them with a .22
    Last edited by FraserB; 07-19-2018 at 07:57 AM.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    '08 Audi A6 4.2L S-line

I have this same problem. Lots of them (50+) behind our house in an open field. They are super annoying (noise) and they are already under my neighbours GARAGE PAD IN THE FRONT. I picked up a sniper style pellet gun and ive probably killed over 25 since the start of the year. Unfortunately they breed like fire and since last year the population has at least tripled. I would recommend poison but it has to be done quite early in the season (before they awake from hibernation). Its quite satisfying to watch them drop after a hollow tip pellet gets them though.

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

Quote Originally Posted by VWEvo View Post
    Yes, the pellet guns we have now have limited effectiveness. I can't believe I'm actually saying this, but whats involved with me getting a gun license? I am interested in buying a powerful pellet gun. Does it take very long?
    At minimum you'll want a condor but keep in mind you still have to equip it (scope, bipod, air tanks etc) the air tanks are a bitch
    https://www.airgunsource.ca/en/airfo...-loc-tank.html

for a cheaper price I would suggest a ruger SR10/22
    https://www.cabelas.ca/product/67104...w-muzzle-brake
    those go for about 830ish, you'll still need a scope etc

Then get a bucket of .22 for $40 bucks. That'll give you 500 rounds and you'll be able to shoot gophers all season long. No need to worry about air tanks or anything, just clean the gun regularly

I can bring the Ruger for you to try out first if you want

My Ride
    13 AUDI A4, 14 TUNDRA SR5, 12 VW GOLF TDI

I probably had about 10+ gophers in my property and I can't never get rid them completely because of my neighboring properties doesn't care. It does the job and it gives me about a month of piece lol. Until others migrate from adjacent properties.

https://www.amazon.com/Sweeneys-S600...70_&dpSrc=srch

FYI, I don't recommend poison.
    Had my dog die from a gopher that was poisoned.
    Gets into the food chain and you have no idea what it'll kill after the gopher.

If you can't kill them with pellet guns, you are doing it wrong. Used to be able to get them with slingshots when I was a kid.

We use giant destroyer in their holes, supposed to be completely harmless after.

How big are your pellet guns? We have a 495fps .22 pellet gun, has no problem and no licence needed obviously

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

My $0.02, don't use anything more than a pellet gun. Where you are in springbank, if you start cracking off .22 bullets, you are gonna have the cops on you pretty quick as your neighbours are not that far away.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Got a shitty old vehicle around? Attach a hose to the tail pipe and gas the little fucks in their holes. Works well. We've gassed hundreds of them like that. Unfortunately our neighbors don't give a fuck and no matter how many we kill they just get replaced from next door.
    '08.5 Mazda 3
    '90 Laser RS-T
    '07 Yamaha R6

My Ride
    2010 S4

My $0.02, don't use anything more than a pellet gun. Where you are in springbank, if you start cracking off .22 bullets, you are gonna have the cops on you pretty quick as your neighbours are not that far away.

.22 don't carry far noise wise or the actual rounds. If it's actually an issue,which I doubt, you can always get short rounds.

Edit: added quote
    Last edited by dubhead; 07-20-2018 at 10:22 PM.

My Ride
    2010 S4

I know the best thing that worked for us, even though it's very specific to the situation, was to bring our donkeys into our small pasture for a couple months. This would allow the badgers back into our big field, The badgers would then make quick work of the gophers. Rinse and repeat as needed.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by dubhead View Post
    .22 don't carry far noise wise or the actual rounds. If it's actually an issue,which I doubt, you can always get short rounds.

Edit: added quote
    a couple of his neighbors are >/= 100 meters away. Shooting off live rounds like that with people in that kind of proximity is never a good idea. even .22 rounds.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

a couple of his neighbors are >/= 100 meters away. Shooting off live rounds like that with people in that kind of proximity is never a good idea. even .22 rounds.
    I agree with you. I think given my proximity to neighbors and a major roadway it probably would end with a visit by the cops. Will likely stick to pellet guns
    2016 Tesla Model X
    2018 Lincoln Navigator
    2016 Porsche GT3 RS

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

I recently purchased a 495 FPS .22 pellet gun (that shoots 565fps out of the box for some reason). Let's have a Beyond meet at your place and we can all plink gophers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast