Quantcast
Sand blasted driveway - any major downsides vs a typical concrete one? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sand blasted driveway - any major downsides vs a typical concrete one?

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Quote Originally Posted by gcoap View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sandblasting is likely around $1.00 per sqft. Removal and replacement your looking closer to $14.00 per sqft. It's surprising they are even offering it. I'm not a big fan of blasting a driveway that has surface issues. To me it looks like a worn driveway. Some people like the look but to me it looks like what it often is which is someone trying to take the easy way out.
    Agreed, sandblasted looks like a really old worn down driveway IMO. Sidewalk in front of our office that is 30+ years old looks like its sandblasted where there is high pedestrian traffic.

Contractor is obviously offering it because it looks 'ok' to some people and way cheaper for them. You also don't have to deal with getting your driveway removed, setup, re-poured and then no parking on it for a month, etc etc. Its a pain in the ass.

Outta curiosity, anyone know the difference in cost between sandblasting and remove/repour? I would expect a repour is several thousands more?

Quote Originally Posted by nagooro View Post
    Outta curiosity, anyone know the difference in cost between sandblasting and remove/repour? I would expect a repour is several thousands more?
    Look up 3 posts, your answer is there thanks to @gcoap
    Will fuck off, again.

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Look up 3 posts, your answer is there thanks to @gcoap
    oops somehow overlooked that, thx.

Bump..hoping to get some more input.

So last year we were given the option to either sandblast or re-pour the whole driveway, we chose repour, however we were told we would have to wait until the next summer (now) as we were too late in the season. They also took 4-6 core hole samples last year to get lab tested. I don't recall if they had the lab results before they agreed to doing a re-pour. There was no hesitation with doing a repour last year, we were told it would get fixed, they just had to figure out who was going to pay for it (concrete supplier, concrete installer/company, builder)

A few weeks ago they emailed saying they are no longer going to re-pour the driveway as the lab results came back fine, and are giving me two options:
    1) sand blast and seal the driveway
    2) do a top coat on the current driveway

As expected, the spalling/pitting is worse than last years pics, and it also has one new crack (image below).

My concrete knowledge is very limited, so my questions are:
    - Between sandblasting vs a top coat, is one a better option than the other?
    - If sand blasted, I would have to maintain it by sealing it every few years going forward?
    - Should I be pursuing a re-pour still?

They say the core samples meet required specifications, so hoping the entire slab isn't compromised and its just the top coat. My main concern is I don't want to choose an option and be having the same issues 1-2 years down the road again.

https://i.imgur.com/EDwv5xc.jpg

My Ride
    dad van

Given the choice of sandblast or topping I'd do a sandblast. You really should reseal the slab every few years regardless of finish.

I'd still push for a re-pour.

Also with that crack it looks like it is between the driveway and the walk to your front door. it's super common to crack off corners IE the inside corner on the outside of the slab and the outside corner where it meets the wall. With how wide that crack is I would be worried about a lack of brackets on the sidewalk to the front door or if there are brackets they might be covered in base material and washing out which would cause that section of the slab to drop.

Quote Originally Posted by gcoap View Post
    Given the choice of sandblast or topping I'd do a sandblast. You really should reseal the slab every few years regardless of finish.

I'd still push for a re-pour.

Also with that crack it looks like it is between the driveway and the walk to your front door. it's super common to crack off corners IE the inside corner on the outside of the slab and the outside corner where it meets the wall. With how wide that crack is I would be worried about a lack of brackets on the sidewalk to the front door or if there are brackets they might be covered in base material and washing out which would cause that section of the slab to drop.
    Thanks..I think between the two, we're likely leaning towards a sandblast as well.

For what its worth..here's a few pics of the cross-section of the slab after they took samples. The holes have since been filled up with sand.

https://imgur.com/a/aUvOnU5

My Ride
    Fremont

push for repour, and show up with a slump cone.

so lazy, just throw sand in and ran away.
    At the very least they can mix up a simple mix with sand, cement + water to fill the void. Takes a few more minutes to do up a quick batch in a bucket.
    Now you have rebar exposed where they cored it. Piss poor.

what did the "lab" test? They probably don't have documented answers.
    -compressive strength?
    -measure the height of concrete, depth of slab?
    -count voids for air entertainment?
    I don't see the point of doing lab tests anyway when it looks like surface deficiencies due to excessive water, bad finishing job, or pouring when the surface is susceptible to freezing.

Seems like they're trying to pin the material as the culprit, but I'd guess workmanship lacking, workers cutting corners and rushing the job.
    -

Not sure what they tested. It was done by an independent third party company, "They found no issues with the concrete and it meets the required specifications." I'm guessing they are referring to the subsurface, and the top layer is the issue?..

Its a brand new house, everyone's driveway up and down the street looks perfect...were the odd one out. The builder has been great rectifying other issues we've had, which have been minimal.

I will be asking them to properly fill the core holes.

My Ride
    *The First*

Consider doing the re-pour yourself (pay someone) and then sue the builder in small claims.
    This should be close to a last resort, but it's an option.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Consider doing the re-pour yourself (pay someone) and then sue the builder in small claims.
    This should be close to a last resort, but it's an option.
    Or get 3 quotes (average them out) then get a lawyer to send the builder a letter stating that if they dont pour it then your taking them to small claims court and doing it yourself.

Not a cheap fix ether way but pretty bush league for the builder/trade to back out of repouring after they stated they would. Which builder? Name and shame.

My Ride
    *The First*

Might not be Small Claims court the more I think about it. Is that capped at $5k? Driveway is likely closer to $10k

Yeah I think small claims is capped at $5K...hoping not to resort to that. If a top coat or sandblast will maintain the same quality over time as a re-pour would do, im fine with that. I just don't want to be at square one a year or two from now if it turns out to be a "bandaid" fix.

A house a few doors down from us was in the same situation, broom finished, but then had to have it sandblasted for whatever reason. Going to check their's out this evening to see how its holding up.

Another option would be to possibly have them guarantee the work in writing, if it spalls/pits again after a sandblast/top coat, they repour the whole thing. I can understand the added cost to them for repouring a driveway, however its not a cost I want to incur in the near future.

My Ride
    Treg/B7

Small claims is 50g max.

My Ride
    dad van

Quote Originally Posted by LLLimit View Post
    push for repour, and show up with a slump cone.

so lazy, just throw sand in and ran away.
    At the very least they can mix up a simple mix with sand, cement + water to fill the void. Takes a few more minutes to do up a quick batch in a bucket.
    Now you have rebar exposed where they cored it. Piss poor.

what did the "lab" test? They probably don't have documented answers.
    -compressive strength?
    -measure the height of concrete, depth of slab?
    -count voids for air entertainment?
    I don't see the point of doing lab tests anyway when it looks like surface deficiencies due to excessive water, bad finishing job, or pouring when the surface is susceptible to freezing.

Seems like they're trying to pin the material as the culprit, but I'd guess workmanship lacking, workers cutting corners and rushing the job.
    The test would likely be compression test and likely air entertainment. A driveway will be at 32MPA, most of the suppliers will over shoot that number so that if the finishers do over slump they will still hit the strength numbers. With a core hole out like that I would be checking slab depth as they can sometimes be not as deep as they should be.

Surface de-lamination can be from a number of things from air being to high to finishers using to much water.

My Ride
    *The First*

When I worked concrete the first thing the boss did was tell the driver to "jazz it up" and add at least 5gal to drive it up to a 120 slump. It made the work WAY less difficult and got everything done quicker. We always did a good job but I knew the strength was compromised. Plus, he never chaired rebar - we would just lift it after screeting and it always seemed like it would stay high but I'm sure it sunk like... Like steel while the concrete was getting floated and brushed.
    Concrete workers like paycheques and meth. I like my new job better. It's just too easy to cut major corners in concrete and no one will ever know. And to be fair, even properly installed concrete often cracks due to forces out of their control.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Bump..hoping to get some more input.

So last year we were given the option to either sandblast or re-pour the whole driveway, we chose repour, however we were told we would have to wait until the next summer (now) as we were too late in the season. They also took 4-6 core hole samples last year to get lab tested. I don't recall if they had the lab results before they agreed to doing a re-pour. There was no hesitation with doing a repour last year, we were told it would get fixed, they just had to figure out who was going to pay for it (concrete supplier, concrete installer/company, builder)

A few weeks ago they emailed saying they are no longer going to re-pour the driveway as the lab results came back fine, and are giving me two options:
    1) sand blast and seal the driveway
    2) do a top coat on the current driveway

As expected, the spalling/pitting is worse than last years pics, and it also has one new crack (image below).

My concrete knowledge is very limited, so my questions are:
    - Between sandblasting vs a top coat, is one a better option than the other?
    - If sand blasted, I would have to maintain it by sealing it every few years going forward?
    - Should I be pursuing a re-pour still?

They say the core samples meet required specifications, so hoping the entire slab isn't compromised and its just the top coat. My main concern is I don't want to choose an option and be having the same issues 1-2 years down the road again.

https://i.imgur.com/EDwv5xc.jpg
    You are getting F&cked over my friend. The top coat will be chipping away within 3 years. nI would continue to insist on a repour.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

After posting on a few forums, I think a top coat is out.
    Either push for a re-pour, or sand blast+seal, but get them to guarantee the work. If it starts falling apart a year or two later they do a re-pour cause obviously the slab below the top layer isn't up to par as the tests showed.

Edit: a bit off topic, but how are exposed aggregate driveways in the winter for shoveling and slipperyness? Seems like shoveling would be a pain as it's not as smooth as a broom finish?
    Last edited by nagooro; 06-07-2019 at 06:03 PM.

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Edit: a bit off topic, but how are exposed aggregate driveways in the winter for shoveling and slipperyness? Seems like shoveling would be a pain as it's not as smooth as a broom finish?
    Shoveling is fine. Not much different than non-exposed...maybe occasionally catch a stone edge with the shovel blade at the worst. I find it’s more of a pain to sweep versus non-exposed. So I just used the blower or pressure washer more.

Slipperiness will depend on what it’s sealed with.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Does anyone recommendations for a sandblaster?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast