Quantcast
Trouble with 2013 CRV Cariable Timing Control (VTC) Actuator? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Trouble with 2013 CRV Cariable Timing Control (VTC) Actuator?

My Ride
    Indian Scout

Default Trouble with 2013 CRV Cariable Timing Control (VTC) Actuator?

My wife bought a 2013 CRV just before we met. Several months ago, it began making an obnoxiously loud sound from a cold start that sounds like a bunch of marbles being shaken in a can. I can best describe the sound as a combination of very loud grinding and crunching of metal. The vehicle makes the sound for a few seconds and then operates normally.

My sister-in-law has an older Accord (2005-2010ish) that makes the same sound when started and we were in a parking lot last week and heard the same godawful sound coming from a civic so this is clearly a common issue with Hondas.

We booked the vehicle into Village Honda and were advised that it was "more than likely" a problem with the Variable timing Control (VTC) Actuator. The tech told us they could keep it for the day and confirm 100% but they had to take the engine apart to confirm the issue which would be a diagnosis charge of several hundred dollars. We opted to take a quote for the repair of what they expected was the problem (VTC) which came in at $1,269 broken down as follows:

$220.98 // VTC Actuator Part Cost
    21.98 // PKG Head Cover
    31.92 // Seal Spark Plug T x 4 @ $7.98
    14.75 // Hazmat
    68.88 // Shop Supplies

$850.50 // Labour
    274.88 // Parts
    84.63 // Misc.
    60.45 // GST

They've advised that if the timing chain, chain guides, and sprockets are also required, the total cost will increase by about $300 to $1,550 + GST

Has anyone had this issue before? Alternative shop recommendations? Long term implications if not immediately repaired?

Quote Originally Posted by Isaiah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My wife bought a 2013 CRV just before we met. Several months ago, it began making an obnoxiously loud sound from a cold start that sounds like a bunch of marbles being shaken in a can. I can best describe the sound as a combination of very loud grinding and crunching of metal. The vehicle makes the sound for a few seconds and then operates normally.

My sister-in-law has an older Accord (2005-2010ish) that makes the same sound when started and we were in a parking lot last week and heard the same godawful sound coming from a civic so this is clearly a common issue with Hondas.

We booked the vehicle into Village Honda and were advised that it was "more than likely" a problem with the Variable timing Control (VTC) Actuator. The tech told us they could keep it for the day and confirm 100% but they had to take the engine apart to confirm the issue which would be a diagnosis charge of several hundred dollars. We opted to take a quote for the repair of what they expected was the problem (VTC) which came in at $1,269 broken down as follows:

$220.98 // VTC Actuator Part Cost
    21.98 // PKG Head Cover
    31.92 // Seal Spark Plug T x 4 @ $7.98
    14.75 // Hazmat
    68.88 // Shop Supplies

$850.50 // Labour
    274.88 // Parts
    84.63 // Misc.
    60.45 // GST

They've advised that if the timing chain, chain guides, and sprockets are also required, the total cost will increase by about $300 to $1,550 + GST

Has anyone had this issue before? Alternative shop recommendations? Long term implications if not immediately repaired?
    I highly recommend Hu's Garage. Independent Honda shop, Ryan is great and very resonable. I have had several 2002 CR-V's over the years that he has serviced along with an Odyssey. We service our 2012 Sienna with Ryan as well.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

+1 For Hu's Garage.

Ryan is reasonalble and very down to earth. He's been serving my Zonda for the past five years and knows his stuff.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

General issues with the vtec system is due to lack of oil maintenance. Timing chains rely heavily on good oil changes.

Was the oil religiously changed? Even running it low for too long can cause damage.

The 2013 Crv has a timing chain with (I believe) hydraulic tensioners. My guess is the tensioner is gone causing chain rattle until you build up oil pressure, probably starving your VTC mechanism at start up as well until it can build pressure back up

I wouldn’t let it go too long. Potential problems with leaving it? - timing chain jumps grenading your valve train

My Ride
    Indian Scout

The oil changes were done at standard 5,000 intervals. The dealer advised that this is a known issue that is normally covered under warranty. Unfortunately for us, our warranty expired 30k ago.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The 2013 Crv has a timing chain with (I believe) hydraulic tensioners. My guess is the tensioner is gone causing chain rattle until you build up oil pressure, probably starving your VTC mechanism at start up as well until it can build pressure back up

I wouldn’t let it go too long. Potential problems with leaving it? - timing chain jumps grenading your valve train
    Good to know. I'm guessing that's probably a worst case scenario but still good knowledge to have; thanks.