Quantcast
Prescription Sunglass Lenses? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Prescription Sunglass Lenses?

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Default Prescription Sunglass Lenses?

Anyone have a suggestion on where to get prescription lenses for sunglasses? Got a pair of Ray-Bans during Prime Day and want to try and get my prescription fitted into them. First choice was to go to Costco who looked at them and just said "No". Other places I've been to have ranged from $260 for a simple tinted lens all the way up to $640.

My Ride
    CAEB, 6G72

I used to buy Ray-Bans prescription sun glasses from Sears Optical, so they might be worth a try.

My Ride
    Toyota

isnt sears out of business?

i went to hakim optical when they had a sale 50% off lenses they were able to fit my wayfarers with prescriptions.

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

What specifically are you looking for? Tinted or polarized? Also, Ray-Ban makes their own RX sunglass lenses now. But the RX range is rather narrow.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Quote Originally Posted by HiSpec View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What specifically are you looking for? Tinted or polarized? Also, Ray-Ban makes their own RX sunglass lenses now. But the RX range is rather narrow.
    Polarized and maybe mirrored if cost is right. Require a high index lens too cause of my prescription. For just polarized alone I was getting quotes of anywhere between $340 to like $500 which sounds crazy to me when I paid $180 for my regular glasses with transitions.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by cyra1ax View Post
    Anyone have a suggestion on where to get prescription lenses for sunglasses? Got a pair of Ray-Bans during Prime Day and want to try and get my prescription fitted into them. First choice was to go to Costco who looked at them and just said "No". Other places I've been to have ranged from $260 for a simple tinted lens all the way up to $640.
    Basically any "premium" or high end outlet will be able to do this.

I bought a pair of Gucci sunglass frames two years ago that I think look amazing from a Sunglasses Hut and then got lenses made, however, the protective coating randomly decided to melt off one day?!

Was quoted $400 for new lenses that were the thinnest possible, all the add-ons, etc. This place was in Red Deer and certainly isn't "low end" for a glasses shop.

$640 they are just screwing with you. But the thinnest lenses do cost a pretty penny.

My Ride
    CAEB, 6G72

Quote Originally Posted by samo147 View Post
    isnt sears out of business?
    Oh damn! Yea it looks like they are. I guess I haven't been in there for a while.

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Polarized and maybe mirrored if cost is right. Require a high index lens too cause of my prescription. For just polarized alone I was getting quotes of anywhere between $340 to like $500 which sounds crazy to me when I paid $180 for my regular glasses with transitions.
    If you want, you can PM me your RX. I know a few people in the local optometry business and see if those numbers are out to lunch. Also, it is common for sunglass lenses to cost more than regular lenses (even with transitions).

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Does RayBan do the stupid shit that Oakley pulls?

Oakley will only put Oakley prescription lenses into their frames... and they are huge $$$$$.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Optik in Sunridge can make those for you.

I'm sure you've thought of this already but have you considered contacts? I started off with prescription sunglasses but for me personally it was more of a hassle than it was worth and I just switched to contacts so I could buy any sunglasses I wanted. Similar benefits if you ever do any snorkeling or scuba or ever have to wear anything on your head/face basically. I keep a regular pair of glasses around for travel / lounging around still though.

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    Does RayBan do the stupid shit that Oakley pulls?

Oakley will only put Oakley prescription lenses into their frames... and they are huge $$$$$.
    Nope.
    You don’t need to get Oakley lenses for their ophthalmic frame. Only for their sunglasses.

However it does make sense to only let Oakley to put Oakley sunglass lenses into their sunglasses. It is very difficult for generic sunglass lenses to match the curvature and bevel placement of Oakley’s frame. They have their lens edging software programmed to tailor each lens blank to each frame model.

I do agree their pricing is quite ridiculous. I had a pair of Ferrari Carbon Blade RX sunglasses made and it costed me a little over $800.

My Ride
    LNF

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I'm sure you've thought of this already but have you considered contacts? I started off with prescription sunglasses but for me personally it was more of a hassle than it was worth and I just switched to contacts so I could buy any sunglasses I wanted. Similar benefits if you ever do any snorkeling or scuba or ever have to wear anything on your head/face basically. I keep a regular pair of glasses around for travel / lounging around still though.
    I think it depends how much you want to wear contacts... I switched to prescription sunglasses and only wear daily contacts when I snorkel or need a helmet.

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

I have Frogskin & Frogskin Lite prescriptions. Even with friends at Oakley, they indeed they were $$$$.
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

Quote Originally Posted by mzdspd View Post
    I think it depends how much you want to wear contacts... I switched to prescription sunglasses and only wear daily contacts when I snorkel or need a helmet.
    For sure - very much personal preference. Some people can't even wear contacts because they can't stand touching their eye.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    Basically any "premium" or high end outlet will be able to do this.

I bought a pair of Gucci sunglass frames two years ago that I think look amazing from a Sunglasses Hut and then got lenses made, however, the protective coating randomly decided to melt off one day?!

Was quoted $400 for new lenses that were the thinnest possible, all the add-ons, etc. This place was in Red Deer and certainly isn't "low end" for a glasses shop.

$640 they are just screwing with you. But the thinnest lenses do cost a pretty penny.
    Yeah, $640 was high index, with polarization and a mirror finish. No idea what type of lens it was using though. I actually had some places tell me to try Walmart or Superstore...

Quote Originally Posted by HiSpec View Post
    If you want, you can PM me your RX. I know a few people in the local optometry business and see if those numbers are out to lunch. Also, it is common for sunglass lenses to cost more than regular lenses (even with transitions).
    Thanks, but I'd rather not waste your time cause from the sounds of it I'm going to be looking at something like $350+ to get polarized lenses at a minimum. Way more than I'm willing to pay for a pair of sunglasses lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I actually have contacts but I basically only wear them when I'll be doing something active or have a party to go to or something. These would basically be driving sunglasses-so a nice to have.

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Thanks, but I'd rather not waste your time cause from the sounds of it I'm going to be looking at something like $350+ to get polarized lenses at a minimum. Way more than I'm willing to pay for a pair of sunglasses lol.
    All good! Feel free to DM me if you happen to change your mind. Good luck with the purchase!

My Ride
    2011 Audi TTs

it really depends on your prescription, and how curved the lenses are.

they might be saying no if it's too high of an Rx. pm me with details and I can tell you if its possible at my shop. If you're ok with non-polarized it could get done for a decent price usually.
    Last edited by soupey; 07-30-2018 at 06:35 AM.