Quantcast
First Time Truck Buyer Suggestions - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: First Time Truck Buyer Suggestions

My Ride
    Silverado

Just one problem with the RAM

https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/395...ght=Douche+bag

Kidding though. In reality all 3 make great trucks.
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 08-03-2018 at 07:44 AM.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 01:53 PM.

I was a first time truck buyer a couple of years ago. I ended up going with Ford mainly due to how nice it drives. I was actually initially leaning toward the Tundra due to its reputation until I test drove it. It drives like a big heavy truck that doesn't handle well, the design is outdated, and the giant driver side mirror gets in the way of my vision of looking at what I am driving into every time I made a 90 degree left turn. It just felt like hard work driving the Tundra. The Tundra is pretty thirsty on gas by today's standard... something like 18L/100km in the City whereas I can get about 15L/100km in summer time with the F150 without even trying to save fuel. The good thing about the Tundra is its high resale value and the slide down back glass window on the Crewmax. As for the other trucks, I have not driven them but it is well known that the RAM has the nicest interior in terms of material (less hard plastics than the Ford and Toyota for sure).

I recently changed company trucks and my new one is a 17 SLT Sierra 5.3. Truck gets great mileage, tons of space compared to the older model GMs. I love the wireless phone charging pad, interior is way beyond what they used to be, and it pulls nicely. My last truck was a 2014 F150, and its a toss up for me as both of these trucks are great and neither really does something way better than the other. Mileage was ok with the 3.5 Ecoboost, but not as good as the 5.3. The rear seating area in the F150 is like a coach bus, its massive, and even with my seat all the way back, I never heard anyone complain about leg room in the back. If you want a solid every day driver with decent mileage, great comfort and ease of use, either the F150 or Sierra/Silverado would be a solid choice. If you want reliability, and DGAF about mileage, get a Tundra. They may not be up to par on interior materials, looks, etc. but you cant beat the reliability and resale.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ford makes the nicest commuter truck in terms of ... gas mileage.
    You're on crack. All testing shows that the gm v8 trucks get better mpg loaded or unloaded (but ESPECIALLY when loaded, turbos need a lot of fuel when loaded).

It's an unfair comparison though, as the ecoboost makes way more power than the 5.3L. If you compare the ecoboost to the 6.2L, then I'd agree, but they are different engines for different purposes IMO. And there is no comparison between the 5.0L vs the 5.3L, 5.3 hands down.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Agree it's unfair. The power under load of the Ecoboost is amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    You're on crack. All testing shows that the gm v8 trucks get better mpg loaded or unloaded (but ESPECIALLY when loaded, turbos need a lot of fuel when loaded).

It's an unfair comparison though, as the ecoboost makes way more power than the 5.3L. If you compare the ecoboost to the 6.2L, then I'd agree, but they are different engines for different purposes IMO. And there is no comparison between the 5.0L vs the 5.3L, 5.3 hands down.
    My 5.0 walks all over my friends 15 5.3 in every aspect.

I've had 3 Duramax trucks, 2004, 2007, 2012 - IMO you really need to drive the trucks OP. I found the front seats in the Duramax/GM trucks to be not that great for me, but this is completely subjective, but a very important facet of a truck, as you'll be sitting in that seat quite a bit - so, drive all of them and see what fits you best.

I don't see what's wrong with looking at the somewhat smaller trucks like the Tacoma, Tundra, Nissan, and even the Honda - you may find you really like them, so explore that option.

We recently bought a new ZR2, I owned a mid 90s GM ZR2, it was a great truck back then, and the new one is fantastic as well, but I drove everything, and I mean every single competitor out there before deciding on it, over a dozen new and used trucks from every brand. I suggest you do the same. Lots of great advice here about skipping the 2007 to 2013 GM 1500 if you can, I'd absolutely try and get a 2014+ or a Ford/Dodge of an earlier year if that fits your budget better.

Also, make sure you get "mud guards" if your truck you buy doesn't have them, as per the thread about the mud guard/flap ticket recently, this is something that LE can and will bust you for if they are in need of making that ticket quota. Most trucks don't come with flaps from the factory, and while the law is technically "mud guards" and not "mud flaps", it's a relatively cheap thing to add to your truck and will ensure it's something you don't get a "grey area" pop/ticket over. It'll also save others on the road near you from eating rocks you toss into their windshields.

My Ride
    Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by ShermanEF9 View Post
    My 5.0 walks all over my friends 15 5.3 in every aspect.
    Definitely like that 5.0 for sure. Im surprised more people dont buy them. Do you have the new 10 speed? Hopefully they work out in the long run cause i want my next truck to have one

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    Definitely like that 5.0 for sure. Im surprised more people dont buy them. Do you have the new 10 speed? Hopefully they work out in the long run cause i want my next truck to have one
    i do not. 2016 with the 6 speed. it has served me well so far.

I haven't read much on anyone talking about the diesel trucks (duramax, etc), how are they in terms of reliability and maintenance? They seem to be really good on gas, at least on paper.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Had a ‘13 EB... if you’re coming from a car, I wouldn’t recommend it for the hwy. if you set cruise any higher than 130km/h that thing sucked back fuel. I have never used so much gas unloaded before in my life! 165L tank and I was on fumes before making it even to Moose Jaw! ...computer said 28L/100kms at one point

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by phubu View Post
    I haven't read much on anyone talking about the diesel trucks (duramax, etc), how are they in terms of reliability and maintenance? They seem to be really good on gas, at least on paper.
    Diesel trucks are amazing, but high intital costs offset any fuel savings. Not sure on reliability.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Quote Originally Posted by phubu View Post
    Reliability - Most people won't put enough miles on a new one to wear one out.
    Maintenance - Oil is probably more expensive and they take more of it than a gas motor. Cummins fuel filters are expensive. No big differences other than that.
    Mileage - I have a 2017 GMC 2500 with a 6.0 and a 2017 GMC 3500 with a 6.6. The diesel is 5-8l/100km better, but diesel is more expensive. Just on mileage alone it would take 120-220,000km for the fuel savings to pay for the cost of the diesel.
    Driveability - Having 910lb-ft at 1600rpm is nice.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

The torque is amazing and addictive. If you can afford it, do it.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by mzdspd View Post
    It is a nice feature for the 2014+ but on the 2007-2013, it caused lots of issues with oil burning.
    $250 will buy you a AFM disabler that stops this problem (and keeps all 8 cylinders on all the time). I just bought a '11 Avalanche with the 5.3 and over 200,000 kms on it. Installed the disabler, and towed 6000 lbs over 3000 km and didn't lose any oil the whole trip.

Quote Originally Posted by civicHB View Post
    Avalanche look too bulky for my needs. I'll stick to a 1500 for now.
    It's smaller than a 1500 crew cab. Same width and height, but shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    Had a ‘13 EB... if you’re coming from a car, I wouldn’t recommend it for the hwy. if you set cruise any higher than 130km/h that thing sucked back fuel. I have never used so much gas unloaded before in my life! 165L tank and I was on fumes before making it even to Moose Jaw! ...computer said 28L/100kms at one point
    IF you watch engineering explained... alot make sense that especially with low octane fuel, the motor's knock sensor will not only retard timing BUT also dump more fuel in under load if it suspect it could knock.

In a truck application where load is significant when going uphill, with "regular" I can completely see how and why the F150 ecoboosts just aren't matching V8's for fuel economy (again under load)...

With Premium, it makes significant enough difference plus a tad more "power" though Ford never officially released how much, but its premium.

The torque difference however is night and day... boost controlled power is so much more consistent over the entire band.

Recently drove a 5.3 2015 1500 with the same trailer I pulled back to calgary, and man... it can't touch my 14' Ecoscrew for uphill power (I use premium when towing)... I could only imagine how the new limited is going to be like.

Also, any HD non-diesel is anemic... period. You already suffer the ride of a HD, don't suffer the power (well also the oil burners do weigh more and as such have a bit better ride).

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

I just ordered a 2018 F150 Lariat - so my 2011 F150 Ecoboost (FX4, Max tow, leveled w/Bilstein 5100s, 34" BFG KO2s) with 116k kms will be up for sale. Given what I've said in this thread - not sure you'd be interested. lol
    Last edited by CLiVE; 08-07-2018 at 11:20 AM.

My Ride
    E90

Quote Originally Posted by CLiVE View Post
    I just ordered a 2018 F150 Lariat - so my 2011 F150 Ecoboost (FX4, Max tow, leveled w/Bilstein 5100s, 34" BFG KO2s) with 116k kms will be up for sale. Given what I've said in this thread - not sure you'd be interested. lol
    lol thanks but 2013/2014 and up is what i'll likely be getting.

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Quote Originally Posted by civicHB View Post
    lol thanks but 2013/2014 and up is what i'll likely be getting.
    Figured. Lol. Mine has a ‘14 timing chain though. Haha.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast