Quantcast
Pmp study group - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Pmp study group

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

Default Pmp study group

I recently finished my pmp class requirements, but summer and work got in the way of writing in July. I was wondering if anyone on here would be interested in doing a pmp study group in the evenings or weekends?
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    TL

Quote Originally Posted by finboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I recently finished my pmp class requirements, but summer and work got in the way of writing in July. I was wondering if anyone on here would be interested in doing a pmp study group in the evenings or weekends?
    i recently started studying, living in edmonton though so in-person study group wouldn't work.

Went through joseph phillips udemy videos, now going through practice exams on pmtraining.com. Going through the pmbok book slowly trying to jot down and figure out relationship between different processes. it's a lot of material, i was hoping to write it in october but hoping my momentum can push me to end of august/early september.

what's your study plan?

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

I did my PMP last fall. I don't need the study group but I can suggest that about 1 month of concentrated studying is what I did before writing the test, passed first time. I probably spent 2hrs/night, with a few nights off, but also a few longer evenings, including writing a simulated 4hr exam at home.

I wrote on version 5 so I'm not overly familiar with the changes for V6, but I'd say that if you can focus on studying for 1 month regularly, that should be plenty of time.

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

Thanks for the input, I took the I of course course so I have quite a few practice exams to work with. I was hoping to work with others on quizzing trouble areas for memorization, by far my biggest weakness is understanding all the inputs and outputs, which seems like a straight memorization exercise. I can work with the formulas, but I still have to memorize those so I don’t reference the book.

Thankfully my coworker in Vancouver teaches for pmi, but he has said the hardest part for him as well was remembering all of the stuff that needs to be brought up verbatim.

My Ride
    TL

Quote Originally Posted by finboy View Post
    Thanks for the input, I took the I of course course so I have quite a few practice exams to work with. I was hoping to work with others on quizzing trouble areas for memorization, by far my biggest weakness is understanding all the inputs and outputs, which seems like a straight memorization exercise. I can work with the formulas, but I still have to memorize those so I don’t reference the book.

Thankfully my coworker in Vancouver teaches for pmi, but he has said the hardest part for him as well was remembering all of the stuff that needs to be brought up verbatim.
    someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't know if memorizing ITTOs is necessary. it's really more useful to understand how the processes are connected, i.e. output of perform integrated change control is direct and manage work. and knowing what process the scenario PMI puts you in. That is what i'm learning from doing practice exams.

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

Dandia, I think it's 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other. If you memorize all the ITTO, you probably grow to understand them. But again, it's what you want to get out of the process.

I looked for patterns and was satisfied with learning about 60-70% of the inputs or outputs. I just focused on key ones, that were unusual or seemed significant. There are things like PM Plan that are inputs into almost everything, so I just ignored that. I looked for the differences, or key issues, IE, that Integrated Change Control is the only one that has APPROVED DCRs as an output, which is fairly critical. Another example is where everything under the Planning process group has a plan as the first input. IE under Scope, scope management plan is an input into all the other scope activities. That sort of thing. Patterns saved my butt.

Oh, and I forgot to add that I wouldn't spend a ton of time on formulas unless they changed things up majorly for v6. Myself and the 4 other people who wrote within a month of me had maybe 5 calculation questions each, and I didn't need a calculator for any of them. They were very straightforward.

Anyway, I don't want to distract from OP of getting a group together, so good luck to you guys!

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

Update, I wrote yesterday and passed first time. Study group was really helpful in keeping me committed to studying, and the pm prepcast with practice exams made me feel really prepared going in.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Congrats!
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Congratulations.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Pushbroom

What the hell is a PMP? Are you missing an I in there?

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

Thanks all, doing the prosci mid month, then factoring in next steps

Congrats, prosci is a breeze.