Quantcast
Solidworks on a Surface Pro? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Solidworks on a Surface Pro?

Thanks! I guess the 17" will become the book keeping computer.

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

Quote Originally Posted by legendboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    BIM and all the different ACAD's will run but Revit won't afaik. My older N56VZ I use to work from home with using Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2019 with most work being done in IV. Just copy back and forth my unpublished iparts and project folder, anything that is mapped to the project. Works great.
    I'm not talking about AutoCAD, I'm talking about Solidworks, Tekla Structures, actual 3D design programs with heavy models.

My Ride
    4x4

In the same line of questioning... I've heard the i5 8mb version with the better graphics card - can run fusion 360 at a tollerable speed? Anyone have experience?

Not doing big huge models by any means, mostly small quick and dirty sketches - just roughing out a base idea often in a meeting.

But yeah Im not going to have 2k+ to drop on a surface pro any day soon so, figured I'd ask what the weaker versions can manage

It depends if you are talking about the U series or the H series mobile processors.

In the U series, the 8th gen i5's are 4c/8t just like all the i7's (previous gen i7's were largely 2c/4t) which is a huge boost in value. With the i7's you get a little bit more cache and a little bit higher turbo frequency depending on the model but performance is quite similar. There is less to gain by going i7 within the U series.

In the H series, the 8th gen i5's are still 4c/8t but the i7's move up to 6c/12t which is an enormous boost for multi-threaded workloads provided the laptop can cool it reasonably well.

If your Fusion 360 program likes cores, then if you're talking U series, there is little difference between i5 & i7. If you're talking H series, there is a theoretical 50% increase moving up to the i7.

If the program is mostly single threaded, then you aren't going to notice much difference at all as long as the single core turbo frequencies are similar.

Also you probably mean 8GB of RAM. The U series i7's have 8MB cache, the i5's have 6MB. The H series mostly have 9MB and 8MB respectively.

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

Quote Originally Posted by Jlude View Post
    I'm not talking about AutoCAD, I'm talking about Solidworks, Tekla Structures, actual 3D design programs with heavy models.

I was wrong, just read up on it. I think Inventor runs better than Solidworks on surface! I may buy one soon
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

Quote Originally Posted by legendboy View Post
    I was wrong, just read up on it. I think Inventor runs better than Solidworks on surface! I may buy one soon
    I haven’t done it yet, I’m waiting for the next surface/surface book to be released next year.

Well after some delays in getting things rolling, I think I am close now to having the work to sustain some much needed upgrades. The Solidworks rep (Hawk Ridge systems) sent me a list of recommended systems. On it was Lenova Thinkpad P52, Dell Precision 5530/7530, and HP zBook 15 G5. All with NVIDIA Quadro P1000 4 GB Graphics Card, Intel Core i7-8750H Processor, 16GB Ram, and a min 256 SSD. I see dell has a significant discount on the 7530, how does this machine line up against the cheaper XPS 15. Is it worth the extra $800?

Name:  Precision 15.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  24.2 KB

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I assume the precision’s have workstation gpu’s Rather than gaming gpu’s which should theoretically be better optimized for CAD.

Whether they are 800 dollars better optimized is up to you.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by s_havinga View Post
    Well after some delays in getting things rolling, I think I am close now to having the work to sustain some much needed upgrades. The Solidworks rep (Hawk Ridge systems) sent me a list of recommended systems. On it was Lenova Thinkpad P52, Dell Precision 5530/7530, and HP zBook 15 G5. All with NVIDIA Quadro P1000 4 GB Graphics Card, Intel Core i7-8750H Processor, 16GB Ram, and a min 256 SSD. I see dell has a significant discount on the 7530, how does this machine line up against the cheaper XPS 15. Is it worth the extra $800?
    Compare Solidworks benchmarks on a 1050Ti 4GB and a Quadro P1000 4GB - ideally the exact processes you use, if that information available. Then decide if the performance difference (if there is one) is worth the price difference to you.

'Gaming' GPUs are better at productivity tasks than Quadro GPUs are at games, if that factors into your decision at all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2