Quantcast
Planting trees and/or shrubs on Utilies, Registered Utility Right of Ways, ETC - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Planting trees and/or shrubs on Utilies, Registered Utility Right of Ways, ETC

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Default Planting trees and/or shrubs on Utilies, Registered Utility Right of Ways, ETC

Looking for some feedback on the following conditions on whether you are legal allowed to plant trees on/in the following conditions.

- Can I plant small trees in a legally registered utility right of way along the street/curb? This right of way basically comes half way up my front yard (its 3.5m wide).

- Can I plant small trees on top of the utility connections from the public utilities that are connected to my house? Ie: the gas line that is buried from the street to the side of my house. Can I put a tree on top of or near those utilities?

- Can I plant shrubs (in place of trees) in either of the utility conditions noted above?

- Can I put a massive boulder/rock in the registered ROW along the street curb?

I 100% understand that *if* a utility line needs to be repaired or dug up that my tree(s) are coming out but that chances of that are small and I'm willing to risk it. There is vague information online that states shrubs are allowed over on site utilities but shrubs aren't much different then small ornamental trees. Not much information about planting in a registered URW along the curb.

Thoughts? Best practices? YOLO and do what I want?

City of Calgary says no trees only flowerbeds and shrubs in the utility ROWs.

I don't think they would ever enforce this unless they need access, and it sounds like you are prepared for that unlikely event so... YOLO!
    ---

My Ride
    Treg/B7

When you go to sell what will show up on an RPR? Shrubs or minimal landscaping is likely ok. Trees likely not ok and will be flagged. Will a purchaser care? Who knows.