Quantcast
Curious if anyone has successfully fought and won against tinted window tickets? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Curious if anyone has successfully fought and won against tinted window tickets?

My Ride
    '91 NA1 ADVAN'D

Question Curious if anyone has successfully fought and won against tinted window tickets?

It's been about 7 years since I had a tinted window ticket, unfortunately just got one tonight.

It's for the front driver's and passenger side windows being tinted. Not for speeding or any other reason to be pulled over. Was heading southbound on Shaganappi. and was several car lengths behind the officer. Made the turn onto the overpass to merge onto Crowchild South (right turning late) and the officer was in the left lane to circle back up to Shaganappi North. Pulled me over as I was existing the ramp to get onto Crowchild by crossing 3 lanes of traffic and darting in front of other cars. Ironically, the vehicle I was beside at the lights was a F150 w/ tinted front windows too, but not sure why that guy wasn't pulled over as well.

The last time I had the ticket, I went to the JoP to get the ticket reduced, but that was it.

Curious to know if anyone has successfully fought and won, and under what grounds?

The officer's reasoning for not allowing tint in the front windows was "the tint" would keep the glass together in a roll-over which would make it impossible to extract you from the vehicle. Personally I think this is a bs reason, as it should actually be easier to remove the glass without injuring someone if it was in one piece.

My Ride
    Silverado

Yes its illegal. Yes you can talk to the jp. Yes they can reduce it. But it sounds like this isnt your first tint ticket so they probably wont.

Pay to play

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

Kind of off topic, but what is the point of front tint anyways.. every time I see it I just think of '90s gangbangers.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by NissanFanBoy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kind of off topic, but what is the point of front tint anyways.. every time I see it I just think of '90s gangbangers.
    So you don’t get sunburnt left arm and face on long drives.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

I have it on my Audi and vw, not a excuse as it is against the law but I get migraines and they are occasional triggered by bright lights. I think I’m 35% or something not dark at all. If I start getting tickets again I’ll consider peeling t off. Been ticket free for 18 years or so.

My Ride
    Silverado

I thought vehicle class protected against uvb

My Ride
    '91 NA1 ADVAN'D

dirtsniffer - Not the first ticket for having the windows tinted, however it's not even a dark tint at all, so the obstructing the vision argument is out the window. I have the tint on there to filter out light for which my eyes are extremely sensitive to. That said, I've driven past plenty of other officers in AB, BC, Montana etc. with the same vehicle and same tint w/o any issues.

NissanFanBoy - it's the front two windows on a vehicle with 7 windows (excluding windshield). It's for light sensitivity, heat reduction inside the vehicle as well as security. It's saved me before from having to clean-up all the glass fragments from an attempted break-in, was able to take the smashed window out without pieces going everywhere.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

What is your definition of "not dark tint" ? Some people think 10% is 'ok' because its not 5%. If your face isnt visible in broad daylight, thats their tip off that the tint is too much.

Also, driving around in a ricer car will make you much more of a target.

I've had 35-40% on the front sides and 15-20% on the rear. Never an issue and I've had this for about 20 years now in 3 cities and 2 provinces like this.
    Last edited by revelations; 08-02-2018 at 09:47 PM.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

I love this part

Not for speeding or any other reason to be pulled over.
    You knew damn well what you did was not legal so that immediately puts you in the zone OF to be pulled over.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    What is your definition of "not dark tint" ? Some people think 10% is 'ok' because its not 5%. If your face isnt visible in broad daylight, thats their tip off that the tint is too much.

Also, driving around in a ricer car will make you much more of a target.

I've had 35-40% on the front sides and 15-20% on the rear. Never an issue and I've had this for about 20 years now in 3 cities and 2 provinces like this.
    For whatever reason, I think it depends on the district you're driving through. I've only gotten 2 tint tickets in my car over 10 years - both were in McKenzie Towne. The second of which (technically not a ticket), the officer issued me an order to have it removed within 90 days, have it verified by him when it's done, or risk getting ticketed.

I get it removed and consult an officer in one of the downtown offices about whether I should have to go down to the district precinct to have it verified. I just don't want to have to drive all the way to the deep south if I don't have to. The officer tells me it shouldn't be a bother since I can't get pulled over for another tint ticket if I clearly don't have tint. Lo and behold, 90 days later I receive a ticket from the officer and I have to go down to the JP with my removal invoice to get it cancelled.

Meanwhile, I lived downtown and drove by hundreds of police in that time and none of them have ever batted an eye at the tint on my fronts.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    So you don’t get sunburnt left arm and face on long drives.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but don't all windows in vehicles have UV coatings that stop that? It's one of my gripes with my prescription glasses. They have the transitions coatings on them that are activated by the UV rays in sunlight. They don't activate inside any of the vehicles I have had since I had them unless the window is rolled down, which is defeats the purpose of tint on the window anywyas....
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but don't all windows in vehicles have UV coatings that stop that? It's one of my gripes with my prescription glasses. They have the transitions coatings on them that are activated by the UV rays in sunlight. They don't activate inside any of the vehicles I have had since I had them unless the window is rolled down, which is defeats the purpose of tint on the window anywyas....
    Just the windshield. Side windows allow UV. I didn’t realize how bad it was till I started driving the B this summer. That car wasn’t tinted and my arms have been burning on road trips, which is pretty much every weekend this summer. Too cheap to tint it now since it’s getting returned in a couple months. Resorted to wearing long sleeves and cranking the AC haha.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    '19 GTI

The full wording on Section 70(1) for tint states "Install" tint... I've never tested this challenge in court, nor am I a lawyer.

But wouldn't the officer need to prove you installed the tint? If he writes the ticket to the driver, and the driver can prove he didn't install it, rather "xyz shop" did, wouldn't you have a case?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

If you want to burn in hell, I have a friend that tells the cop when he gets handed the ticket thanks, and it’s worth every penny not to go through skin cancer treatment again. 100% success rate in getting the ticket thrown out on the spot.

I’ve got 35% UV tint all around in all my cars, only got ticketed once in the Yaris. We all know how that turned out.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Find a eye doctor to give you a note saying you have eye sensitivity to bright sunlight and thats why you got tint. :P
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    Find a eye doctor to give you a note saying you have eye sensitivity to bright sunlight and thats why you got tint. :P
    Doesn’t work. Another beyonder had a note for that, cop DGAF and peeled off the top to force them to remove it.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Doesn’t work. Another beyonder had a note for that, cop DGAF and peeled off the top to force them to remove it.
    Lets say someone goes even further than a note, and has medical testing and results done to prove light sensitivity. Ticket would be thrown out right?Asking for a friend
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    Lets say someone goes even further than a note, and has medical testing and results done to prove light sensitivity. Ticket would be thrown out right?Asking for a friend
    I'd guess the counter-argument would be that the driver could use more extensive personal protection gear like the blind-man sunglasses, or that if he is in fact that sensitive that he shouldn't be driving at all.

Just a guess.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Regardless for all of the bullshit reasons the cops give you why it's illegal (and they are all bullshit), the law says film. Not tint. So even transparent is technically illegal.

The loophole to that is smoked glass. People have avoided tint tickets by installing aftermarket glass that is smoked at the factory. It's more money but if you are really that concerned about a tint tax, it might be the way to go.

I just tint and be done with it.

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

Do cops have the right to peel it off??

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast