Quantcast
in transit permits for out-of-country buyers - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: in transit permits for out-of-country buyers

My Ride
    ute

Default in transit permits for out-of-country buyers

My Cadillac was purchased by a guy from the US who is flying up to get it. He wants to get an in-transit permit from alberta (his state won't allow him to get one until the car is imported).

Can an American, with American insurance on the car (which he already has), get an in-transit permit from an Alberta registry?

My Ride
    SL550, P100DL, F-450, FIAT

Your best bet would be to take 1 minute and phone a couple registry offices.
    Professionally Retired

My Ride
    MR2

I'm a Canadian and had an American car with American insurance on it, and I was able to get a 7 day permit no problem

My Ride
    My wife crazy!

Does he not have a current plate he can put on it? Would save a whole bunch of red tape

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic_Cop View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does he not have a current plate he can put on it? Would save a whole bunch of red tape
    he does. which i think actually would be fine to use to the border. but im not sure if he can use that plate to transit through the US

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    he does. which i think actually would be fine to use to the border. but im not sure if he can use that plate to transit through the US
    Yeah in-transit laws vary from state to state. Last time I travelled through the states with a transit permit, it was from the state in which I bought the bike and I just took my chances through the other 5 states I passed through. Research I did indicated that some states require a permit specific to that state and others just say any permit is good. Got pulled over a couple of times (for other reasons), but it seemed like none of the cops/troopers even really knew the details of the law... all they cared about was that I had a permit of some kind on it.

The in transit from ab registries is only good until the border. He will need an alternative when he crosses

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by dannie View Post
    The in transit from ab registries is only good until the border. He will need an alternative when he crosses
    Do the US authorities check on this?

Depends on the officer. I’ve only ever imported to Canada (personally) and when I did the CBSA officer asked if we had plates or a permit. However, a friend of mine did the same thing the following month and wasn’t asked

My Ride
    ute

I suppose there is nothing preventing him/us from just registering the vehicle, getting an Alberta plate, and then he can jsut toss it when he gets home.

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

I suppose there is nothing preventing him/us from just registering the vehicle, getting an Alberta plate, and then he can jsut toss it when he gets home.
    I would think his lack of Alberta residency would prevent him from registering the car / getting an AB plate, nevermind the insurance required.

As for the "us" part of that... It's up to you, but there's no way I'd put my plate & my insurance on a car for a stranger to drive across the border with...

My Ride
    ute

Us insurance is fine. No I'm just saying I'll help him at the registry

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

When I sold my car two years ago I cancelled my plate and buddy left it on the car and drove away. The registry didn't think that was the best idea, but they said since it was cancelled it shouldn't be a problem. I heard from him after he drove it to California and he didn't mention anything about any issues. Police haven't kicked my door in either.

Edit: this isn't advice because it's probably bad advice, I'm just telling what I did.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by SKR View Post
    When I sold my car two years ago I cancelled my plate and buddy left it on the car and drove away. The registry didn't think that was the best idea, but they said since it was cancelled it shouldn't be a problem. I heard from him after he drove it to California and he didn't mention anything about any issues. Police haven't kicked my door in either.
    I think having a plate assigned to your name, cancelled or otherwise can cause hassle down the road.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

That's what the registry said would happen if I didn't cancel it, but if I did cancel it (or whatever the term is for it) the plate wouldn't be tied to me anymore.

On the other hand, just because a person at the registry told me it would be okay doesn't necessarily mean it is. I don't know, that's what they told me and so far nothing bad has happened.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

There is a prevention for him to register. He cannot. He is not an alberta resident, no legal entitlement and residency. No.
    There is nothing stopping you from registering it. You would require valid inter-provincial insurance in your name to do so. Is this smart? Fuck no.

Even though you come to the registry to cancel the plate, unless you physically hand it in - you are responsible for that plate forever. Since buddy in the US will have it, you're taking a risk in hoping he sends it back. I would never suggest doing this. The risk is far too high and absolutely not worth it.