Quantcast
NAS Recommendation - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: NAS Recommendation

My Ride
    2011 Ralliart SB

Turning on and off mechanical hard drives isnt great, why cant you leave it running?

Yeah I guess I can leave it running, it just seems wasteful and possibly an increased security risk?

My Ride
    is broken

Quote Originally Posted by The_Penguin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    robocopy.
    Just to clarify. Robocopy is a built in windows tool to copy, paste and clone stuff. Works great. You can also try Teracopy if you want a more GUI approach.

Also most NAS will spin down the drives with inactivity, idling with a few watts. That'll cost you pennies over the year so just leave it running. You could shut it down properly but its really unnecessary savings.

For others shopping around the DS918+ is awesome, no HDMI for media but otherwise is a perfect little box. Software is very easy to use.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by FixedGear View Post
    Yeah I guess I can leave it running, it just seems wasteful and possibly an increased security risk?
    Synology has built is power options that you can enable to spin down the drive when not in use. But you need data, expect a 5-20s wait for it to spin up. But really, it's only 2 drives and probably 20-30w draw at most.

As for security issue, it's just like any electronics. Pick a good admin password and keep it on automatic OS update to stay at latest version to make sure there isn't any vulnerability.

And who else is going to be on your home network hacking your NAS?
    Last edited by Xtrema; 09-11-2019 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Synology has built is power options that you can enable to spin down the drive when not in use. But you need data, expect a 5-20s wait for it to spin up. But really, it's only 2 drives and probably 20-30w draw at most.

As for security issue, it's just like any electronics. Pick a good admin password and keep it on automatic OS update to stay at latest version to make sure there isn't any vulnerability.

And who else is going to be on your home network hacking your NAS?
    I don't think anyone will be hacking from within my home network, but can people hack in from outside? (sorry if that sounds silly, I'm an idiot!)

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Your biggest threat to ANY storage device on a network, in 2019, is loss of data due to: flood, fire, theft or ransomware. I dealt with the last 2 just recently. Offsite backups are absolutely crucial.

A state sponsored hacker, or script kiddies, should not even register for the average home user.

Also, disable spin down on all NAS' Thats why you have gold series drives - designed to run for 200 years, but not with 10,000 s/s cycles.

If you're just using the NAS for pure storage, you might consider just getting a Blackblaze subscription and be done with it. Then you have nothing to worry about, and you don't even have to remember to back up your stuff - it's all completely automatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If you're just using the NAS for pure storage, you might consider just getting a Blackblaze subscription and be done with it. Then you have nothing to worry about, and you don't even have to remember to back up your stuff - it's all completely automatic.
    I've had a Backblaze subscription for years, but it's just for my laptop and I didn't think you could get it to backup network drives? (I read that you used to be able to mount the drive in Windows and Backblaze would see it as an attached drive, but apparently MS disallowed that with a patch, so it no longer works).

If you mean just storing things on Backlaze, yeah I don't think that would work for us, since we're using this mainly to stream media

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Your biggest threat to ANY storage device on a network, in 2019, is loss of data due to: flood, fire, theft or ransomware. I dealt with the last 2 just recently. Offsite backups are absolutely crucial.

A state sponsored hacker, or script kiddies, should not even register for the average home user.

Also, disable spin down on all NAS' Thats why you have gold series drives - designed to run for 200 years, but not with 10,000 s/s cycles.
    thanks

How do I disable the spin down? I can't seem to find that option in the online command centre thingie

EDIT: I found an option to "Enable advanced HDD hibernation...", does unchecking that box disable the spin down?
    Last edited by FixedGear; 09-11-2019 at 07:09 PM.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by FixedGear View Post
    How do I disable the spin down? I can't seem to find that option in the online command centre thingie

EDIT: I found an option to "Enable advanced HDD hibernation...", does unchecking that box disable the spin down?
    It should under the POWER settings - disable all modes of power saving, including that one.

It should under the POWER settings - disable all modes of power saving, including that one.
    Thanks, I turned that one off, but didn't see any other power options that I could turn off.

I've noticed a few times that my drives seem to be spinning down randomly, then spin back up when we try to access it. I've turned off everything I can see in the power options. Anyone know of any instructions for DS218+ o turning off spin down? I can't figure it out!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3