Quantcast
Anyone use dual sim phones? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Anyone use dual sim phones?

Default Anyone use dual sim phones?

Hey guys,

I'm carrying two phones right now; one for work and one for personal use. It's getting super annoying to carry two phones, so want to try and get a dual sim phone. My personal line is with freedom mobile, and the main/work line is with telus.

I would ideally want to use freedom for data. The crap thing about freedom is their LTE bands are limited.

Are any of you rockin' a dual sim phone? Any recommendations?

My Ride
    an econo box

A lot of Global unlocked variants of popular phones (Galaxy S series, Note series, LG's etc) are available with dual sim capabilities. Easy to get a good phone that's dual sim. I usually buy off of reputable eBay sellers like NeverMSRP.

The problem will be that there aren't many phones that are compatible with Freedom's goofy LTE band (band 66). I believe Freedom is rolling out band 7 LTE soon so that might not be an issue for very long.

Anyway I've used dual sim's phones before but only used the second sim slot while traveling. I've never actually tried it in Canada. My current Android phone (Nokia 8) is dual sim. I should try to pop another carrier's sim into the second slot for fun.
    Last edited by KrisYYC; 08-07-2018 at 01:57 AM.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

I've owned a few. My Asus Zenfone 2 Laser just died and i ordered this yesterday as my new backup/travel phone:
    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07D82MTZL

I'm finding that dual sim phones that work on Freedom are kind of limited but reading the comments say the model sold by JP mobiles works. I can't remember if the sim slots on this are both for voice and data or just voice/data + data though.

I've grown pretty accustomed to having a dual sim phone on hand, even if just for traveling. It's come in handy when traveling to the US and Hong Kong before.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

I have only ever used my phone in dual sim mode while travelling, I have the OnePlus 5. With dual sim you can configure settings like which sim is used for Data, and which ones are used for outgoing calls. You can even have it prompt everytime you call if you want to. It's neat, and I would do it myself as well if i had to carry two phones, what a pain in the ass. Look out for limitations, I don't know if it's still the case, but some dual-sim phones can only do limited functionality or speed on secondary sim.

My Ride
    '91 NA1 ADVAN'D

I used to use a Dual Sim Galaxy S3 while in the M.E.; trying to get my hands on the Dual Sim BB Keyone Black Edition from overseas though.

My Ride
    06 S2000

When I used to be on-call, I popped my work sim into my OnePlus 5 and used that for dual sim. Now that I don't have a work phone anymore, I just leave a US roaming SIM in there for me to activate anytime I go down there.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    WRX LTD / Civic Si /RAV4

I've been on the never ending hunt for the best DUAL SIM phone, and recently gave-up.

My path has been:
    - Previous models had sim2 on 2G network, so you were required to have at least rogers/fido in one simslot.
    - Most models are dual sim standby , rarely do you find one that is ACTIVE, and/or having enough bands for North America
    - List of possible phones i researched are here: http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/dual_sim_4g3g_phones
    - Asus Zenfone 3 - ok phone, crap camera 2G second sim
    - Samsung Galaxy Note 5 - good everything but 2G on second sim (could not run two telus sims)
    - Samsung S7 / S7 Edge : Worked well, was 2G on second sim but after update to Nougat 7.1.2 it had 4G/3G but dual standby. My phone battery didnt last very long so ended up selling
    - Xiaomi Mi5S : worked well, great camera (pixel camera), but missing some LTE bands to maximize speed and connection, no expandable memory. good price.

Almost bought the One plus 5T , and then waited for the 6 reviews. It has almost all the BANDS you want, and clean OS, only downside is the Camera is hit/miss.

But for now I ended up back on the Apple train for now. Running two Apple phones, message forwarded, and call forwarded to one, so I leave one phone at home and carry the other one!

I think the ONE PLUS is your best reasonably priced option if you are ok with Camera compromise, if you want to spend more and have a good camera, then I would say get a S9 Plus DUOS !!

edit... NOTE 9 Duos?!?!
    Last edited by deee_wreck; 08-09-2018 at 02:01 PM.
    --For SALE or Trade--

iPhones
    Maui Jim Sunglasses