Quantcast
Rupture achiles heels - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Rupture achiles heels

My Ride
    K20A2

Default Rupture achiles heels

I rupture my achiles heel playing volleyball. Went to get the ball them I felt my left leg give out. Was in a half cast now I'm in a air boot. Decide not to do a surgery and go with the air boot instead. It's been two weeks. I'm traveling to Europe in Sept 12 and doing a meet with my ortho on Sept 5. Has any one travel with a air boot before and any tips. I'm bored as fuck at home not doing to much. Want to heal as fast as possible. Any tips would be be appreciated.
    Built with Chopsticks

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Take your time! Had a buddy rupture his and he pushed it too quickly and it popped again a couple/several months later... back to step 1 all over again. Not fun.

My Ride
    K20A2

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Take your time! Had a buddy rupture his and he pushed it too quickly and it popped again a couple/several months later... back to step 1 all over again. Not fun.
    Definitely not fun I never used a crutches and that is so hard to use. Its the simple things I miss the most like going to bathroom. Gong to bathroom is a like 5 min process when it should only be like 1 min
    Built with Chopsticks

Quote Originally Posted by 95EG6P View Post
    Definitely not fun I never used a crutches and that is so hard to use. Its the simple things I miss the most like going to bathroom. Gong to bathroom is a like 5 min process when it should only be like 1 min

Yah I'd definitely be careful, my buddy ruptured his again last year. Rushed back to sports and didn't think physio was worth it. He paid for it.

Also have you looked into getting one of these if you hate crutches a bunch? (ton of different options)

https://www.amazon.com/Drive-Medical...DS84ZBEDQTR72M

My Ride
    K20A2

Quote Originally Posted by colinxx235 View Post

Yah I'd definitely be careful, my buddy ruptured his again last year. Rushed back to sports and didn't think physio was worth it. He paid for it.

Also have you looked into getting one of these if you hate crutches a bunch? (ton of different options)

https://www.amazon.com/Drive-Medical...DS84ZBEDQTR72M
    Yeah I was thinking of renting one for 89$ a month
    Built with Chopsticks

You'll get stronger. In a week or two, you'll be able to hop around your whole house without putting your foot down. Body is resilient.
    Ask about compression stockings if you can actually get those on without too much pain specificially for the flight. Also worth paying for the extra leg room upgrade this time around.

From what I know, surgery long term success rate isn't any better on your injury compared to resting it. So good choice.

My Ride
    K20A2

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    You'll get stronger. In a week or two, you'll be able to hop around your whole house without putting your foot down. Body is resilient.
    Ask about compression stockings if you can actually get those on without too much pain specificially for the flight. Also worth paying for the extra leg room upgrade this time around.

From what I know, surgery long term success rate isn't any better on your injury compared to resting it. So good choice.

Thanks fir the tips I will into compression socks for sure
    Built with Chopsticks

My Ride
    17 M3 ZCP + 18 X3M40

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post

There are a lot of factors that play into this. The type of tear (partial vs total) and the amount of gap (if total) and the patient (amount of activity) are all factors that need to be considered. I have generally always operated on these but lately there is a lot of literature coming out to support conservative therapy (CAM boot). I have had two recently done conservatively, one in just a CAM boot who closed a giant total tear and another that was a high level pro athlete with a CAM boot and stem cells.

OP - "want to heal as fast as possible" and going the conservative route are not two things that go hand in hand unfortunately.

My Ride
    K20A2

Quote Originally Posted by Red@8 View Post
    There are a lot of factors that play into this. The type of tear (partial vs total) and the amount of gap (if total) and the patient (amount of activity) are all factors that need to be considered. I have generally always operated on these but lately there is a lot of literature coming out to support conservative therapy (CAM boot). I have had two recently done conservatively, one in just a CAM boot who closed a giant total tear and another that was a high level pro athlete with a CAM boot and stem cells.

OP - "want to heal as fast as possible" and going the conservative route are not two things that go hand in hand unfortunately.
    you sound like a doctor. if you are i got a question i recent bought a knee scooter and used it for about 20 min. now it is sore and hurts pretty bad called my doctor and they said it should be ok and when i take a tynol it is ok. i am icing it 3 times a days just hope i did not rupture it again. i switch from Tylenol to advile oday and it feels much better then the Tylenol. this injury is the worst i ever had in my live. one day it feels good then next day it hurts, it take a toll on you personally. any tips on how to make it feel better would be appreciated
    Built with Chopsticks

My Ride
    17 M3 ZCP + 18 X3M40

you sound like a doctor. if you are i got a question i recent bought a knee scooter and used it for about 20 min. now it is sore and hurts pretty bad called my doctor and they said it should be ok and when i take a tynol it is ok. i am icing it 3 times a days just hope i did not rupture it again. i switch from Tylenol to advile oday and it feels much better then the Tylenol. this injury is the worst i ever had in my live. one day it feels good then next day it hurts, it take a toll on you personally. any tips on how to make it feel better would be appreciated
    I am a doctor. Unfortunately the best I can do online is offer General tips. To be honest I'm not sure I completely understand your question. Is your knee hurting or your Achilles?

My Ride
    K20A2

I am a doctor. Unfortunately the best I can do online is offer General tips. To be honest I'm not sure I completely understand your question. Is your knee hurting or your Achilles?
    I was using the knee scooter and when I was going over the the sidewalk I think it was not smooth so it was bouncy. I took advil and Iced it yesterday and I dint feel the pain no more. Just wondering what can I do so make it faster healing wise. I ice it 3 times a day should I do more or less of it. Thank you
    Built with Chopsticks

My Ride
    17 M3 ZCP + 18 X3M40

I was using the knee scooter and when I was going over the the sidewalk I think it was not smooth so it was bouncy. I took advil and Iced it yesterday and I dint feel the pain no more. Just wondering what can I do so make it faster healing wise. I ice it 3 times a day should I do more or less of it. Thank you
    There is not much you can do to make it heal faster on your own other than follow the instructions your doc gave you. Depending on the type of splint that is on there in some cases we will have patients ice 5-10 minutes every hour for the entire day post operatively. I would check with your doc to see what he or she wants you to do for ice.

My Ride
    K20A2

There is not much you can do to make it heal faster on your own other than follow the instructions your doc gave you. Depending on the type of splint that is on there in some cases we will have patients ice 5-10 minutes every hour for the entire day post operatively. I would check with your doc to see what he or she wants you to do for ice.
    I'm in a air cast no splint. The Ortho surgern was not really informative. Asked if I want surgery or not. I chose no surgery then gave me air cast and said see you in a month. Most of tips i asked the nurse or internet like you tube.
    Built with Chopsticks

My Ride
    17 M3 ZCP + 18 X3M40

I'm in a air cast no splint. The Ortho surgern was not really informative. Asked if I want surgery or not. I chose no surgery then gave me air cast and said see you in a month. Most of tips i asked the nurse or internet like you tube.
    I am sorry to hear that.

Do you have a heel lift in the CAM boot? If not take a look at that online.

My Ride
    K20A2

I am sorry to hear that.

Do you have a heel lift in the CAM boot? If not take a look at that online.
    Yeah I got a 3 of the insert in right now in the air cast
    Built with Chopsticks