Quantcast
Let's talk Flair Airlines - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Let's talk Flair Airlines

Default Let's talk Flair Airlines

Flair is new in the airline space in Canada. Low fares, everything a la carte. A model that has worked elsewhere in the world, to be tested here in Canada, especially in the face of stiff competition that's come with Swoop. They also have to make the numbers work to stay afloat, but that's a them problem, not an us passengers problem.

Over the weekend I flew to Vancouver on Westjet on the outbound and Air Canada on the inbound. I had other friends that also flew there, but we all flew different flights/airlines around the same time (Air Canada, Air Transat, Westjet, Flair.)

Being the snob that I could be (eww Flair?) and also being late in buying tickets, I did miss out on the $79 each way that Flair offered and paid about $320 roundtrip.

Here are my findings based on third person account from friends that flew Flair, including off hand comments:
    - Planes are old (they have 737-400s which are first generation 737s)
    - Fares are really cheap
    - Flights were on time
    - Only one personal item is free to carry as long as it fits under the seat in front
    - Weird logic with paid checked luggage being less expensive than paid carry on luggage
    - Tolerable for short distance flights such as Vancouver
    - Felt like being on Greyhound

Overall, it was a simple ride with good timings and best of all, great fares.

I have yet to fly them but here are my thoughts:
    - Any airline that brings about $79 one way tickets to Vancouver consistently is an airline we should support. I even see $69 fares right now, with daily promos that range from 5% off to $xx off each way. As of late I have seen Air Canada and Westjet offering similar or slightly higher fares on flights that depart around the same times as Flair
    - Aircraft and crew are regulated by Transport Canada, so unless there's a lapse (which could happen with any airline, really) I'm not concerned
    - A personal item, from third party experience, includes a backpack. The rule is that it is at most 7kgs in weight and must fit under the seat in front of you. I have traveled through Europe with a backpack that's under 7kgs for a couple of months, it's doable for a weekend trip to Vancouver

What are your thoughts? Have you flown Flair and if so, how was your experience?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Most of those super cheap fares are sold out. The cheapest YYC -> YVR round trip for usable dates (ie weekend getaway) on Flair sits at $238 total. On Air Canada's lowest fares (Economy Basic) it's at $260.

It feels WAY cheaper during booking though, as Flair adds taxes and fees at the end. Air Canada's site presents the actual cost with taxes and fees on the first page. The cheapest combo I found is $89 departure and $69 return, $158 all said and done if you don't mind flying out in the middle of the week.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by ee2k View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    - Aircraft and crew are regulated by Transport Canada, so unless there's a lapse (which could happen with any airline, really) I'm not concerned
    AAAhahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha....inhales...hahahahahahahahahahahah

If only I had the time to properly reply to this on my phone right now. I'll just say that TC is a hilarious joke of a regulator who have been so underfunded the past decade or so, that they have been forced to remodel themselves to do as little as possible and put all the onus on (and trust in) the companies themselves, and that they are complying with what their books say they are doing. They barely take action until an actually accident happens. We have a ex TC inspector working for us now, the stories he tells... there's several airlines I will never be flying with. Flair is one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post

If only I had the time to properly reply to this on my phone right now. I'll just say that TC is a hilarious joke of a regulator who have been so underfunded the past decade or so, that they have been forced to remodel themselves to do as little as possible and put all the onus on (and trust in) the companies themselves, and that they are complying with what their books say they are doing. They barely take action until an actually accident happens. We have a ex TC inspector working for us now, the stories he tells... there's several airlines I will never be flying with. Flair is one of them.
    Well ... if your response is what we should go by we should avoid all air travel.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

I've flown Flair as a chartered flight before... a few times. They're alright. Haven't experienced a normal flight with them tho. I'd probably use them for a flight to Kelowna or Vancouver.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

Swoop doesn't fly out of Calgary, will they ever?
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by ee2k View Post
    Well ... if your response is what we should go by we should avoid all air travel.
    If that's the logic you go by, I'm going to avoid all the advice you post.

My Ride
    LNF

My parents flew with flair from Edmonton to Halifax last summer. It was a direct flight and the only issue they had was that their flight home got delayed by 1 day because they did not have enough people on it. Not an issue with my parents but it could be an issue if you were on a deadline or had to get back.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Its basically a market demand system. If you crash, as a small airline, its game over. Therefore the onus is to not crash.

As long as the airline is not owner/operated by Michel Leblanc (numerous failed airlines in Canada) it may have a chance of succeeding. I know some mechanics would not even fly on Royal Airlines back in the day it was around.

Quote Originally Posted by mzdspd View Post
    My parents flew with flair from Edmonton to Halifax last summer. It was a direct flight and the only issue they had was that their flight home got delayed by 1 day because they did not have enough people on it. Not an issue with my parents but it could be an issue if you were on a deadline or had to get back.
    One day? That's quite incredible. I wonder if there's any Transport Canada rules governing such a situation?
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    LNF

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    One day? That's quite incredible. I wonder if there's any Transport Canada rules governing such a situation?
    Yes, at the time Flair was only doing one flight per day from Halifax to Edmonton. So they were told the flight was cancelled and they would fly out the following day at the same time. They were given like 24 hours or more notice about it.

We have a ex TC inspector working for us now, the stories he tells... there's several airlines I will never be flying with. Flair is one of them.
    Can you tell us who else you wouldn't fly with? Or who are the best? I too would like to avoid the shady carriers.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Can you tell us who else you wouldn't fly with? Or who are the best? I too would like to avoid the shady carriers.
    You’re safe on AC and WS. Not that the others are dangerous, but if that’s your concern, you’ll be just fine on the big 2 and their subsidiaries. (Except Air Georgian.)

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    if that's the logic you go by, i'm going to avoid all the advice you post.
    ok

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    IMO carriers that I personally would not fly with, Transat, Air Georgian, Enerjet, Canadian North and Flair. I also try and avoid flying with Encore, but for professional reasons, not that I've heard anything sketchy about them.