Quantcast
Oil and Gas engineering salaries - 2018 update. - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Oil and Gas engineering salaries - 2018 update.

Most service companies are feast or famine.
    Producers have a pretty steady salary so when the service company jacks their rates way up based on demand they can afford to pay the increase.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Quote Originally Posted by realazy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would say it's between 85k-120k. With 120k for 7 yrs exp being quite rare nowadays. This is what i would expect including all the years of little to no raises and/or pay cuts between 2015 and now.
    I am sure this is what you mean, Extraslow, when you say you've got your answer because this is pretty much the range of my entire friend group who work at producers. Everyone has 5-8 years experience and their base salaries falls within this range depending on role and producer. To narrow the range a little more I'd even say 95-110k if you've got a proven track record of producing good work with little to no supervision. As you mentioned all of the other benefits vary greatly but for base pay this gets you right in the pocket.
    Last edited by schurchill39; 08-15-2018 at 06:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    2008 Z06

Dang, I thought engineers at E&Ps made way more then what ppl are posting here, but I've only worked on the service/technology/sales side (13 yrs same company).
    Current Cars:
    2019 BMW X3 M40i Stage 2, 12.44 at 110mph
    1972 Chevy Super Cheyenne C10 Pickup 402 big block, 700R4
    2004 GMC 2500HD 8.1L

Past Cars:
    1970 Chevy Blazer, 2wd
    2003 BMW X5 4.6IS Doushmobile, moneypit
    2015 Ford Fiesta ST | Cobb Stage 1, catless downpipe
    2008 Corvette Z06 - 11.39 at 123.8mph
    2002 Corvette Z06 - 12.10 at 116.5mph
    2005 Jeep Wrangler LJ
    1993 5L Mustang - 12.59 at 108mph
    1989 5L Mustang
    1990 Jeep Cherokee
    1991 Acura Integra RS 403Honda

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekliptix View Post
    Dang, I thought engineers at E&Ps made way more then what ppl are posting here, but I've only worked on the service/technology/sales side (13 yrs same company).
    Sales is where the big money is. Well , during good years E&P shares paid out a hell of a lot, but nobody makes money on those these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    TL

I know several people who weren't laid off and continued working with the producer company, easily making $120k-$150k with with 6-8 years exp. It's all the people who've been laid off and getting that post-recession salary. I'd say 5-7 years you should expect 80-100k, any contractor company it could be as low as 65k

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Base salary isn't going to be hugely different between companies. What I found can vary big time is all the other perks, long term, short term, bonuses that can add significantly to the base salary each year.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by dandia89 View Post
    I know several people who weren't laid off and continued working with the producer company, easily making $120k-$150k with with 6-8 years exp.
    If you are talking base salary, that's an outlier, well above average for that age range.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
    Base salary isn't going to be hugely different between companies. What I found can vary big time is all the other perks, long term, short term, bonuses that can add significantly to the base salary each year.
    Yeah, long term incentive can be very significant if your company is hitting it's targets. Oh how I miss those days. . . .
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    If you are talking base salary, that's an outlier, well above average for that age range.

Yeah, long term incentive can be very significant if your company is hitting it's targets. Oh how I miss those days. . . .
    Ya, I think dandia is talking about total or something. No way someone is getting $150k base with that total experience level.

With that said, the ranges can be pretty crazy if we are not talking about base simply due to all the variables involved.

I learned the exact same thing in this thread haha - I thought PEng's at producers with that much experience were making way more (base salary) than is suggested here.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

https://go.hays.ca/rs/855-IQZ-733/im...de-digital.pdf

Resources and Mining starts at Page 168

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

At 5-7 years, you have been a P.Eng for 1-3 years. That's not what I would call huge experience. It is at P.Eng level that at a lot of producers you can start to get extras. Again at Intermediate and Senior levels things change as you get more perks. At leadership levels again things change, the higher up the ladder you go the less the base salary means in terms of your total compensation.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I learned the exact same thing in this thread haha - I thought PEng's at producers with that much experience were making way more (base salary) than is suggested here.
    Not sure why you would think that. Most people at this experience level just begin knowing what they are really doing. However, the total compensation is often times very different from base, which is why I mentioned how base really varies greatly from total.

I have seen total compensation for field engineers over $200k for someone with 7-8 years experience.

My Ride
    TL

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Ya, I think dandia is talking about total or something. No way someone is getting $150k base with that total experience level.

With that said, the ranges can be pretty crazy if we are not talking about base simply due to all the variables involved.
    yeah this was total compensation w/ bonus. should have clarified.

these are big producer companies, a bunch of them did an anonymous survey out to each other.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    https://go.hays.ca/rs/855-IQZ-733/im...de-digital.pdf

Resources and Mining starts at Page 168

I would be cautious about using this as a credible representation of market data. Hays surveys are not commonly used by Calgary E&P companies, and most of their data is likely sourced from their recruitment side and bulked up with regional differentials, which provides a pretty small data set.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Well im in IT and from my point of view those salaries in the survey for IT especially for network positions havent changed in 10 years. I wonder if this is how Telus keeps their employees at the same level for years (imho as a ex telus employee)

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Not sure why you would think that. Most people at this experience level just begin knowing what they are really doing. However, the total compensation is often times very different from base, which is why I mentioned how base really varies greatly from total.

I have seen total compensation for field engineers over $200k for someone with 7-8 years experience.
    I had nothing to go off of except my own assumptions and how much schooling they do vs some other O&G jobs My engineering friends worked WAY harder in school than myself or my other non-engineer friends, I assumed they were compensated better than that (not that it's bad). I don't ask them what they make. At least one other person in this thread learned the same thing today haha. For whatever reason I've always thought engineers (and my only experience is primarily with producers) were compensated better than that. I had assumed the moment you get that PEng designation you would be at $100K++, I really had no idea.

As for the rest of the compensation as far as I know it's often the same company-wide, like STIP, LTIP, benefits, etc. which can be very significant but AFAIK is not normally specific to engineers or any other department for that matter (outside of execs). Every producer I've worked for has had a fairly consistent bonus/benefit plan across departments. Every bonus I've ever got has been a salary percentage, so people who make more naturally get bonused more.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

For every peng making bank, there are 9 others making under 6 figures. The thing is, you dont hear from those 9 others, and they sure don't take salary surveys (which rarely get info from smaller companies).

STIP and LTIP can be good but the share price needs to go up. This is not happening as large investments into Canadian Energy isn't happening.
    Look at the news on Billionaire family and their investment into energy. Where did it go? Chevron, Devon, etc.... all Int'l or US energy.

In a smaller company it's more about hitting the right time of the price cycle.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    For every peng making bank, there are 9 others making under 6 figures. The thing is, you dont hear from those 9 others, and they sure don't take salary surveys (which rarely get info from smaller companies).
    Yeah, I'd say average engineers don't make nearly what people assume. Lots under 100k, even experienced ones.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 02:01 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast