Quantcast
Oil and Gas engineering salaries - 2018 update. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil and Gas engineering salaries - 2018 update.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default Oil and Gas engineering salaries - 2018 update.

Hey guys, have had some opportunities pop up, and want to be prepared to answer the dreaded salary expectation question.

One in particular is a bit of a step back from my previous roles, but is a good company and a neat role. Besides, it'll be more than I make sitting at home in my underwear posting on beyond.ca.

For the sake of comparison, what's typical o&g producer base salary for a P. Eng. With 5-7 years experience? Would you say this is down from 2015?

Base salary only - I have a good handle on the bonus/rrsp/benefits etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

From what I've heard, they'll show you the compensation package, and it's take it or leave it.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    From what I've heard, they'll show you the compensation package, and it's take it or leave it.
    Yeah, I'd take it. But when they ask you in the interview about your expected salary range, it's helpful to have a number in mind.
    Trust me, I'm not turning down any offers or holding out for some expectation. I'm way past that bullshit.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

I'm not sure they're going to ask you. They're just going to give you "this is what we think your compensation should be" and then you should be appreciative and grovel and perhaps kiss their shoes.

My Ride
    FB6

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post

For the sake of comparison, what's typical o&g producer base salary for a P. Eng. With 5-7 years experience? Would you say this is down from 2015?

Base salary only - I have a good handle on the bonus/rrsp/benefits etc.
    I would say it's between 85k-120k. With 120k for 7 yrs exp being quite rare nowadays. This is what i would expect including all the years of little to no raises and/or pay cuts between 2015 and now.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'm not sure they're going to ask you.
    well, some companies are still asking, because I was recently asked this exact question in an interview.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by realazy View Post
    I would say it's between 85k-120k. With 120k for 7 yrs exp being quite rare nowadays. This is what i would expect including all the years of little to no raises and/or pay cuts between 2015 and now.
    Thanks, that's a very detailed and helpful answer.

Every O&G job I have ever been interviewed for (both major and smaller companies) has asked me salary expectations, and every job I have ever had in O&G has had a very negotiable salary/comp package. This includes 2015 - 2018. I've had multiple prior work colleagues who have also changed jobs since 2015 and it was the same for them, not "take it or leave it".

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

5-7 years total, or 5-7 years as a P.Eng?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Every O&G job I have ever been interviewed for (both major and smaller companies) has asked me salary expectations, and every job I have ever had in O&G has had a very negotiable salary/comp package. This includes 2015 - 2018. I've had multiple prior work colleagues who have also changed jobs since 2015 and it was the same for them, not "take it or leave it".
    How many jobs have you had in the past three years?

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 02:03 PM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

People are still 100% asking salary expectations, doesn’t mean you will get it but the question gets asked. But hey my anecdotal evidence is as good as anyone else’s.

I don’t want to comment on what salary is reasonable, that’s going to vary 100% on where you are interviewing and what you bring to the table. I am sure lots of people are being hired for 50k a year and yet some are still being hired for 200+. Anything else would just be pulling numbers out of my ass like anyone else.

If anything I would say things have just stagnated the past few years rather than trend in any direction definitively. There are just fewer roles out there.

I realize that isn’t very helpful...
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    5-7 years total, or 5-7 years as a P.Eng?
    I'm more than this, but what I'm saying is 5-7 years total experience.

How many jobs have you had in the past three years?
    Same job as far as I was concerned, but the company merged once and changed owners/management twice in the last 3 years and each time they went through a full interview / salary negotiation process and adjusted staff. During that time I also had 4 interviews with major O&G companies in town, every single one asked for salary expectations. Pre-2015 I have worked for 4 other O&G companies and exact same story - always asked salary expectations and always negotiable. I'm very thankful that I've never been unemployed in my career and I've been through 2 major downturns now. I've had my salary cut before early in the downturn, and that was even negotiable.

From my experience and also every colleague I've ever talked to during the job hunt, being told "Take it or leave it" or not being asked salary expectations would be highly unusual in O&G.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 08-14-2018 at 04:55 PM.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm more than this, but what I'm saying is 5-7 years total experience.
    Ah okay. If that is the case, realazy's range for base is accurate.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

We hired a guy recently and there were a few good candidates that we passed on because their salary expectations were too high.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    '91 NA1 ADVAN'D

ExtraSlow - find yourself a copy of the HAYS salary guide, it'll give you an idea of where the market is. That said, you're definitely competing against folks with more experience (and/or relevant experience).

In my prior experience as the hiring manager and working w/ HR on determining the salary ranges, generally HAYS and Towers were used as guidelines.
    Last edited by JDMMAN; 08-22-2018 at 03:45 PM.

Do you have any friends or prior work colleagues that work in HR? If so, ask them - that's what I did and it was very helpful the last time I switched jobs. They were able to give me a range based on commonly used industry sources, but that is only one piece of the puzzle. Compensation is ridiculously complicated. Some companies just pay more or less. Also you have so many other things that factor into total comp like STIP, LTIP/stocks, RRSP matching, parking, vacation, designated days off or half day Fridays or whatever, health coverage, health spending accounts, etc. that can boost your income immensely - unless you know what those are likely to be, it's even harder to negotiate a fair salary. Usually though my strategy has always been to prioritize base salary - everything else can be taken away more easily if times are tough, and most other compensation is calculated off of your salary.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Been some excellent info in this thread. I've been able to piece together what I need.

Also very clear different people look at this different ways. Some of you work in "engineering firms" while others work at producer companies. Compensation strategy is very different between those.

I've got the answers I needed. Hopefully others also find this topic helpful.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Best of luck Slow, with your level of consideration and dedication I am sure you will be a star candidate.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

For 5-7 years of experience I would expect the salary range to be between $70-$100k.

That said I work at a service company and our salaries are typically lower than producers, but the total comp is usually comparable or higher. The structure is set up this way to allow the company some flexibility in the down times and avoid layoffs.

Best of luck!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast