Quantcast
Seat Belt Usage - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Seat Belt Usage

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Default Seat Belt Usage

How does the seatbelt requirement apply to someone who is improperly wearing their seatbelt?

For example, I have a scar in the middle of my chest that, on bad days, can get easily agitated. A standard 3-point seatbelt runs right across this scar which can get pretty uncomfortable. As a result, I sometimes don't wear a seatbelt, or I wear it with that part under my armpit so that it doesn't run across my scar.

The reason I ask is I recently got a seatbelt ticket where the officer was on the sidewalk and pulled me over when he looked into my car, saw that my seatbelt was off and pulled me over. In this particular case, I just forgot to put it on so I'm not pretending like I don't deserve it. But it occurred to me that when I wear it under my arm, it looks as though I'm basically not wearing a seatbelt.

I'm wondering what would happen in the same scenario, but it's a bad scar day so I'm wearing the seatbelt under? Can I be ticketed for an improper use of the seatbelt?
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Pushbroom

From a safety standpoint, you’d probably be better off just not wearing it at all. I imagine in an accident with it under your armpit, you’d sustain sim pretty nasty injuries.

My Ride
    2011 Ralliart SB

Ball out and get a 5 pt harness and proper harness bar?

Poorly used seatbelts are bad too.

My Ride
    Trucks

You can get a doctor’s note if you have a legitimate medical reason. My stepfather use to have one after he had a kidney transplant due to where they stick the third kidney.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You can get a doctor’s note if you have a legitimate medical reason. My stepfather use to have one after he had a kidney transplant due to where they stick the third kidney.
    Even with a doctors note I can't see them actually allowing you to NOT wear a seat belt properly. That just seems super sketchy.

Why not get a seat belt pad for the chest area? Or have one made.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

^^ i think a pad would be a simple solution.. the seatbelt would slide within the pad sleeve and shouldn't bother you
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

Another +1 on a pad would be an easy fix. I would say it’s your life do what you want but if you drive a new car your chances of surviving a bad collision without a seatbelt or with an improperly worn seat belt is much higher. But you’ll be mangled if you do survive...

Don’t even consider the ghetto 16 year old special back breaker harness if you were entertaining the idea of a harness haha. Nothing says I don’t understand basic physics like a harness tied to the lower rear seatbelt clip.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Quote Originally Posted by Thaco View Post
    ^^ i think a pad would be a simple solution.. the seatbelt would slide within the pad sleeve and shouldn't bother you
    The pad is ultimately the same thing, which is pressure/rubbing on the scar.

It's not like a consistent problem, but every once in awhile it's really sensitive and that's when the seatbelt poses a problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    Another +1 on a pad would be an easy fix. I would say it’s your life do what you want but if you drive a new car your chances of surviving a bad collision without a seatbelt or with an improperly worn seat belt is much higher. But you’ll be mangled if you do survive...

Don’t even consider the ghetto 16 year old special back breaker harness if you were entertaining the idea of a harness haha. Nothing says I don’t understand basic physics like a harness tied to the lower rear seatbelt clip.
    I'm not worried from a safety perspective. Just from a legal perspective, I'm wondering if I can get a ticket for an improperly worn seatbelt?
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    toyotas, mitsu, and a ford

TLDR, Yes

exact wording for alberta.

Seat belts required Sect 82

(2) If a motor vehicle is being driven and it has a seat belt
    assembly
    (a) in the driver’s seat position, the driver shall wear the
    complete seat belt assembly, and
    (b) in the passenger seat position, the passenger shall wear the
    complete seat belt assembly.

3) A person shall not drive or operate a motor vehicle that has a
    seat belt assembly in the passenger seat position unless the
    passenger in the seat is wearing the complete seat belt assembly if
    the passenger
    (a) is 6 years old or older but under the age of 16 years, or
    (b) is a child who weighs more than 18 kilograms.

(4) A person who is required to wear a seat belt assembly under
    subsection (2) or (3) shall wear the seat belt assembly properly
    adjusted
    and securely fastened.

Also clearly states what is required for exemption if you are not one of the exempt vehicles and try the medical route.

Special exemptions
    88(1) Section 82 does not apply to a person if a duly qualified
    medical practitioner has signed a letter certifying that the person,
    (a) for the period stated in the certificate, is unable for
    medical reasons to be secured in a child seating assembly
    or seat belt assembly, or
    (b) because of size, build or other physical characteristics,
    cannot be secured in a child seating assembly or seat belt
    assembly.
    (2) A letter referred to in subsection (1) must
    (a) be written on the letterhead of the medical practitioner,
    (b) include the name and address of the person exempted and
    the reasons for the exemption, and
    (c) state the dates on which the exemption begins and ends.
    (3) An exemption under subsection (1) must be for a period of not
    more than one year.
    (4) The driver of a motor vehicle carrying a person who is
    exempted under subsection (1) must have a copy of the letter
    referred to in subsection (1).

I think the cops would tell you either to deal with it (i.e. maybe use padding or find something that works for you) or find a different mode of transportation until it heals. Both are inconvenient but neither are unreasonable IMO. It's definitely an inconvenience either way and I realize it would suck but I don't see how being injured would allow you to side step the laws. Just thinking from their perspective.

Or just drive without it and keep an eye out for cops Even ghost cars stick out like sore thumbs so you can spot them a mile away and toss the shoulder strap back on. I very rarely see cops on the road while driving, and even fewer that appear to be paying attention to anything around them. If it's that uncomfortable, maybe a ticket or two before it heals is not a bad price for comfort.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 08-15-2018 at 04:58 PM.

I use seat belt clips. You can get them cheap at crap tire. http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/au...-0372603p.html

I like to keep my belt a bit loose. first cuz I'm a fat bastard. Second I don't like to wrinkle my shirts.

And S-Type = extra HP

Calgary Transit doesn't require you to wear a seatbelt and your purse can just rest in your lap.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    Calgary Transit doesn't require you to wear a seatbelt and your purse can just rest in your lap.

But seriously, I can't see how they can ticket you for not wearing the upper part when there are vehicles that drive around to this day with only lap belts.

Also, seatbelt tickets are tickets of opportunity, it's pretty damn hard to see inside a moving vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post

But seriously, I can't see how they can ticket you for not wearing the upper part when there are vehicles that drive around to this day with only lap belts.

Also, seatbelt tickets are tickets of opportunity, it's pretty damn hard to see inside a moving vehicle.
    Isn’t the law that you can’t disable or render useless safety features equipped by the manufacturer?

It seems to makes sense, I get what you’re saying but the law is consistent in this regard (IMO).

Personally I used to cringe when every boy racer at BS nights pulled the airbag on their street car because sick detachable momo steering wheel bro.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

If the lap belt is original to the vehicle then its 100% legal. You cannot take 3 point belt and convert to a lap belt LEGALLY.

So modifying OE equipment NOT standard to the vehicle could result in a fine.... like you know... tinting your windows or not running mud flaps

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    If the lap belt is original to the vehicle then its 100% legal. You cannot take 3 point belt and convert to a lap belt LEGALLY.

So modifying OE equipment NOT standard to the vehicle could result in a fine.... like you know... tinting your windows or not running mud flaps
    I find it very, very hard to believe a cop would give someone a ticket for not wearing the belt 100% properly.

While my other thread may make it seem like I've lost faith in the police, as I said, I can only see this being done as a ticket of opportunity, or an additional nailing while you are breaking the law in some other way (speeding).

But yes, I do agree, strictly from a legal standpoint, if you did get a ticket, you wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

Just the chance of getting one is so impossibly small, it really shouldn't be an issue. I'd gladly pay $300 a year in tickets if it is as uncomfortable as he says, not like it has demerits or affects your insurance rates.

Edit-
    I also would like to say I didnt say convert. If the shoulder belt is behind you, you haven't altered it in any way. If cops are giving tickets for HOW You wear the seatbelt (a completely subjective argument), I'd be interested in seeing that stand up in court.

I find it very, very hard to believe a cop would give someone a ticket for not wearing the belt 100% properly.

While my other thread may make it seem like I've lost faith in the police, as I said, I can only see this being done as a ticket of opportunity, or an additional nailing while you are breaking the law in some other way (speeding).

But yes, I do agree, strictly from a legal standpoint, if you did get a ticket, you wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

Just the chance of getting one is so impossibly small, it really shouldn't be an issue. I'd gladly pay $300 a year in tickets if it is as uncomfortable as he says, not like it has demerits or affects your insurance rates.

Edit-
    I also would like to say I didnt say convert. If the shoulder belt is behind you, you haven't altered it in any way. If cops are giving tickets for HOW You wear the seatbelt (a completely subjective argument), I'd be interested in seeing that stand up in court.
    You haven’t altered it but you have rendered it ineffective which is part of the law (I believe that is almost verbatim).

If you think about seatbelt design as well a seat belt system designed with just a lap belt vs a seat belt designed as a lap/shoulder combination but used like a lap belt will absolutely not operate the same.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    Even with a doctors note I can't see them actually allowing you to NOT wear a seat belt properly. That just seems super sketchy.
    ...but allowing people to wear turbans instead of helmets seems like a GREAT idea. If they are able to do that to make themselves more comfortable, I see no reason why someone wouldn't be able to adjust a seatbelt to be comfortable.

(3) An exemption under subsection (1) must be for a period of not more than one year.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    ...but allowing people to wear turbans instead of helmets seems like a GREAT idea. If they are able to do that to make themselves more comfortable, I see no reason why someone wouldn't be able to adjust a seatbelt to be comfortable.
    One is a law and one is not.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast