Quantcast
Property Crime in Alberta - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Property Crime in Alberta

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

You need a crack head deterrent system. Water sprinklers with a sensor that spit out ammonia after hours, electrical fences that deliver less than lethal zaps.....etc.

My Ride
    ute

If the cops are too tired to combat crime and the criminal justice system is too ineffective to bring these people to proper justice, then I ask:

why are the cops not too tired to prosecute someone who beats the shit out of someone breaking into their home? Why are they not too tired to prosecute someone who used a firearm to defend their farm/acreage?

I don't see a bunch of exhausted cops when they are complaining about vigilante-ism.

Sorry, haven’t forgotten this. Just haven’t had time.
    ---------------------------------------------------

Any writings in this forum are my personal view and all opinions expressed should be taken as such; there is no implied or direct opinion representative of anything but my own thoughts on various subjects.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If the cops are too tired to combat crime and the criminal justice system is too ineffective to bring these people to proper justice, then I ask:

why are the cops not too tired to prosecute someone who beats the shit out of someone breaking into their home? Why are they not too tired to prosecute someone who used a firearm to defend their farm/acreage?

I don't see a bunch of exhausted cops when they are complaining about vigilante-ism.
    Ah but one is breaking the law, and the other is taking the law into your own hands. Never try to take on the government

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

So, A+ help from Wetaskiwin RCMP last night, I am actually super impressed.

Had what appeared to be someone casing the place at 11pm while I am away on vacation show up on the cameras (car pulled up on range road with lights on just outside, lights kind of flickered as it looked like people were walking in front of the lights). They had a cruiser out within 20 minutes. They also checked my neighbour's place as I try to watch it for them.

Chatted with the officer a bit, she said 100% call in even if I only think there is an issue, it helps get resources dedicated to hotspots and our area is a hotspot.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

I know a guy who has been in and out of jail since he was 18. Asked him why he's a POS and continues stealing stuff knowing he goes back to prison... His response was "Prison isn't so bad actually."

Prison time isn't even a deterrent for some of these people.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by 16hypen3sp View Post
    I know a guy who has been in and out of jail since he was 18. Asked him why he's a POS and continues stealing stuff knowing he goes back to prison... His response was "Prison isn't so bad actually."

For a lot of them, 3 hots and a cot is better than their current living situation, and they don't even have to pay for it!

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

My Ride
    Model S

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post

You know that cops don't prosecute, right? That might be one of the reasons why.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by googe View Post
    You know that cops don't prosecute, right? That might be one of the reasons why.
    Your dreary semantics are boring to me.

My Ride
    2010 S4

Quote Originally Posted by DustanS View Post

We prepare better now days, leave vans unlocked in the yards, and avoid leaving anything worth money where it’s easily accessible. Not sure what else to do without hiring security and that just isn’t worth it. I’d advocate for a “castle law”, it would surely change the tune of some of these fools when the first few examples are made, but for now the worst case scenario is an uncomfortable sleep with a cheese sandwich and a juice box to energize them for their next hitch.
    I wouldn't put too much faith in castle laws being much of a deterrent. I have family in Alaska where everyone is armed to the teeth with castle and stand your ground laws to back them up. In-spite of this they still have crazy amounts of property and drug related crime up there right now.

I'm really not sure how we fix it the revolving door just throws them back on the street however locking them up is also a huge burden on society and very costly. The roots of the problem seem to be poverty, drug use and i'm sure likely a sprinkling of mental health adds to both the for mentioned. With out tackling these core issues I feel property crime will continue regardless of what the punishment is for such crime.

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    Now, I'm originally from Red Deer (explains a lot, right?), and recently it was reported that Red Deer has the highest crime rate in CANADA for cities over 100k people. That's nuts, because Red Deer I feel is a VERY safe place, but apparently its the property crimes that are doing it. I'd have no problem being blasted out of my mind walking anywhere in Red Deer at 2am in the morning. Edmonton or Calgary? Fuck that noise.
    Also is it really that surprising that Red Deer has a lot of crime? It's a drug trafficking hub between Calgary and Edmonton that has for as long as I can remember a healthy biker gang presence as a result. I've never felt unsafe at 2 a.m. in Calgary, or Edmonton (even living in DT Edmonton) it's so safe in Canada the odds of being robbed or the victim of a random violent crime are pretty low unless you are purposely cutting through an extra dodgy area. Even some of the rougher cities I've visited you're pretty unlikely to run into to trouble unless you are out looking for it or short cutting through dark alleys.
    Last edited by dubhead; 08-25-2018 at 01:03 PM.

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

We need Judge Dredd!!.....
    ...@therealarifjina...

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 02:20 PM.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by dubhead View Post
    I wouldn't put too much faith in castle laws being much of a deterrent. I have family in Alaska where everyone is armed to the teeth with castle and stand your ground laws to back them up. In-spite of this they still have crazy amounts of property and drug related crime up there right now.

I'm really not sure how we fix it the revolving door just throws them back on the street however locking them up is also a huge burden on society and very costly. The roots of the problem seem to be poverty, drug use and i'm sure likely a sprinkling of mental health adds to both the for mentioned. With out tackling these core issues I feel property crime will continue regardless of what the punishment is for such crime.

Also is it really that surprising that Red Deer has a lot of crime? It's a drug trafficking hub between Calgary and Edmonton that has for as long as I can remember a healthy biker gang presence as a result. I've never felt unsafe at 2 a.m. in Calgary, or Edmonton (even living in DT Edmonton) it's so safe in Canada the odds of being robbed or the victim of a random violent crime are pretty low unless you are purposely cutting through an extra dodgy area. Even some of the rougher cities I've visited you're pretty unlikely to run into to trouble unless you are out looking for it or short cutting through dark alleys.
    I know many, many people in Calgary and Edmonton who have had problems downtown, including one held at knifepoint.

I never said Edmonton or Calgary were scary, I said that I can walk anywhere in Red Deer with no problem, which is not the same as in the bigger cities (which you even agree with).

As for Red Deer being a "trafficking point", I don't think that is really the issue at all. High percentage of labour based oilfield jobs, lots of unemployment, and one of the youngest average populations in Alberta is a firey mixture.

What this has to do with anything really in regards to the conversation at hand is beyond me, besides you not liking Red Deer. I don't really like Red Deer (hence why I don't live there) but it certainly isn't as bad of a place as "highest crime rate" indicates.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

The only thing that might happen to you in downtown RD is maybe a crazy guy yells something strange at you or someone piles their vehicle up onto the raised concrete flowerbed in front of Hudsons. you also might be asked for cigs or a 'bite of your hotdog' from 7-Eleven. haha

I had a guy the other night yell at me, "I have enough explosives in my backpack to level half of Red Deer!!!". Lol, unless it's a tactical nuke, I don't think you have enough there buddy.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    Silverado

Truck thief shoots at neighbor after getting stuck on driveway

Calgary Herald: Truck thief gets stuck in rural driveway, exchanges shots with owner.
    https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...ots-with-owner

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post

Calgary Herald: Truck thief gets stuck in rural driveway, exchanges shots with owner.
    Many wounds will get the slap and ready to reoffend in less than a month. Fucking joke.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post

That's crazy. Even weirder that the rcmp isn't pressing charges against the neighbor. Common sense prevails.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

it was just a guy trying to steal someone’s vehicle and then this

RCMP mentality towards property crime... displayed perfectly.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

it was just a guy trying to steal someone’s vehicle and then this

RCMP mentality towards property crime... displayed perfectly.
    My mom worked for the RCMP for 25 years. They're all like this. It's basically the laziest force of police around. Go for the easiest thing. (She wasn't a cop but saw what happened around her)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast