Quantcast
Property Crime in Alberta - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Property Crime in Alberta

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Default Property Crime in Alberta

Now, I'm originally from Red Deer (explains a lot, right?), and recently it was reported that Red Deer has the highest crime rate in CANADA for cities over 100k people. That's nuts, because Red Deer I feel is a VERY safe place, but apparently its the property crimes that are doing it. I'd have no problem being blasted out of my mind walking anywhere in Red Deer at 2am in the morning. Edmonton or Calgary? Fuck that noise.

(The point of all this background info is in the final sentence).
    I now have a rural located shop, and let me tell you, crime is rampant. Luckily, I also have 10' chainlink around the whole 1.5 acres of land and security cameras, plus what essentially amounts to a moat on two sides of the property and a slew on the 3rd. But the reports I am getting from neighbours is just crazy.

Additionally, in the past week, I personally know two people who had a race car trailer stolen from a storage property, and just last night somebody cut through the barb-wire fence at a friends acreage/shop property and stole a STi from it.

This is starting to get serious, if the local police and judicial system do not stop this, people are going to have to start (and they have) taking matters into their own hands. You do not have a society if criminals are allowed to freely do their shit. The cops are not busy, they are on the fucking highway catching people speeding (EIGHT god damn cops on the Friday before last long weekend between Edmonton and Red Deer alone in the afternoon). In my opinion, us citizens need to start demanding and holding our police forces accountable.

Your thoughts on the subject Beyond? What I really want to get ideas for is how to change this? More funding isn't the answer, as mentioned, there are cops sitting on the side of the road all day doing nothing. Even when calling during the middle of the robbery, the police will tell you that they are not coming.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

While I would love to see less hwy enforcement... I feel like you generalizing “cops” is sensationalizing this a little. From my experience in central AB on hwy 2 is that you are being pulled over by sheriffs, not rcmp. Their entire existence was to crack down in vehicle related offences on the hwy

My Ride
    06 S2000

Not only that, but you'll rarely find general constables dedicated to traffic. They have a traffic unit, and they have other units.

That being said, it sounds like the solution is to move out of Red Deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    Ford F150

Shoot them and throw them in the slew.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    Now, I'm originally from Red Deer (explains a lot, right?), and recently it was reported that Red Deer has the highest crime rate in CANADA for cities over 100k people. That's nuts, because Red Deer I feel is a VERY safe place, but apparently its the property crimes that are doing it. I'd have no problem being blasted out of my mind walking anywhere in Red Deer at 2am in the morning. Edmonton or Calgary? Fuck that noise.

(The point of all this background info is in the final sentence).
    I now have a rural located shop, and let me tell you, crime is rampant. Luckily, I also have 10' chainlink around the whole 1.5 acres of land and security cameras, plus what essentially amounts to a moat on two sides of the property and a slew on the 3rd. But the reports I am getting from neighbours is just crazy.

Additionally, in the past week, I personally know two people who had a race car trailer stolen from a storage property, and just last night somebody cut through the barb-wire fence at a friends acreage/shop property and stole a STi from it.

This is starting to get serious, if the local police and judicial system do not stop this, people are going to have to start (and they have) taking matters into their own hands. You do not have a society if criminals are allowed to freely do their shit. The cops are not busy, they are on the fucking highway catching people speeding (EIGHT god damn cops on the Friday before last long weekend between Edmonton and Red Deer alone in the afternoon). In my opinion, us citizens need to start demanding and holding our police forces accountable.

Your thoughts on the subject Beyond? What I really want to get ideas for is how to change this? More funding isn't the answer, as mentioned, there are cops sitting on the side of the road all day doing nothing. Even when calling during the middle of the robbery, the police will tell you that they are not coming.
    Don't blame the cops, blame the shitty judicial system that has these sleeze bags back on the streets after a small slap on the wrist.

Cops are sick of it, I personally know a few that want to make a difference that are losing their passion for the job because they are fighting a losing battle.

I live on a rural acreage myself and we are a minimum of 30 to 40 minutes response time if a car was to have to leave an RCMP detachment the second a call was placed so this is a big concern. I don't know the answer that will fix the problem because realistically there are only so many bodies to patrol more KM's of road and areas than one can count. I think telling people to call and hide is absolutely ridiculous though. I absolutely think that we should have the right to protect not only our being, but our property as well. It is easy to say it is only stuff, but I have spent a huge a amount in pieces of my life traded in the building of my life and for someone to know they can just walk up and steal pieces of my life that I can't get back without fear of confrontation and/or consequence does not sit well with me.

I think current laws about protection of body and well as property need to be clarified, and if not in place there should be new laws protecting individuals defending their property rather than protecting only the trash that chooses to take what is not theirs to take.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    From my experience in central AB on hwy 2
    I drive H2 literally everyday. It's 50/50 Sheriffs and RCMP, the RCMP especially pisses me off, but the sheriffs are bullshit too because those are resources that could be going towards something that actually matters. Patrolling the highway does not matter and makes zero god damn difference to anything.

Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    Not only that, but you'll rarely find general constables dedicated to traffic. They have a traffic unit, and they have other units.

That being said, it sounds like the solution is to move out of Red Deer.
    You know I don't live in Red Deer :p When there is actual crimes being committed, the last thing we need is a "dedicated" traffic unit. They are not policing crimes.

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    Don't blame the cops, blame the shitty judicial system that has these sleeze bags back on the streets after a small slap on the wrist.

Cops are sick of it, I personally know a few that want to make a difference that are losing their passion for the job because they are fighting a losing battle.
    For a long time I was of this opinion, but during my last few interactions with the police for robberies being committed against friends and families, as well as the incredible BS I've gone through myself combined with some bogus tickets, I've honestly had enough. The police are part of the problem, regardless if its the overall system causing issues. They need to stand up for what is right just as much as we do. A little pushback on their part over retarded policies would be appreciated.

^^^^ This is why I’m not weighing in. I knew you’d already made up your mind, so what’s the point? I have a lot to say about this but I seriously doubt you’d hear me out.
    ---------------------------------------------------

Any writings in this forum are my personal view and all opinions expressed should be taken as such; there is no implied or direct opinion representative of anything but my own thoughts on various subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by phil98z24 View Post
    ^^^^ This is why I’m not weighing in. I knew you’d already made up your mind, so what’s the point? I have a lot to say about this but I seriously doubt you’d hear me out.
    I would be really keen on hearing your input Phil. Whether live or via PM if you have any thoughts you think might benefit us rural property owners or help us deal with the issues, I am all ears!

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

You are allowed your opinion. I don't have to agree with it. And maybe, just maybe, if you disagree with my sentiments, it might be you that needs to be a bit more open minded. The only reason I say that is because you quite literally are displaying the close mindedness you accuse me of.

Would honestly love to hear it. I won't pull you into a debate. I have an extremely high respect for police, I honestly have zero idea how anyone can do the job especially in this day and age.

My Ride
    Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    I would be really keen on hearing your input Phil. Whether live or via PM if you have any thoughts you think might benefit us rural property owners or help us deal with the issues, I am all ears!
    1. buy a stolen gun
    2. shoot any tresspasser
    3. plant stolen gun

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

I drive H2 literally everyday. It's 50/50 Sheriffs and RCMP, the RCMP especially pisses me off, but the sheriffs are bullshit too because those are resources that could be going towards something that actually matters. Patrolling the highway does not matter and makes zero god damn difference
    Without enforcement we might as well not have laws relating to driving. It’ll just be Mad Max in a few years.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

I don't know the age demographics of the Deer that is Red.

BUT if you can get old people scared then they will start talking to the councellor. The councellor will HAVE to have a word with the police.. Because old people have fuck all to do and have the potential numbers to vote the councellor out.

Maybe deliver some pepperidge farm cookies to a old folks home, get your face familiar and then suddeny bring up crime is shooting up. Old people get scared...Hint at them to write to the local boob. The councellor gets a shit ton of letters from folks like Gertrude, Ethel and Dorris. He freaks out that his pot of gold is under threat. So the next time the councellor shares a joint with the local police cheif he might just say 'oh yeah Bob could you just keep a eye on the rural crime? The peasants are starting to get restless'.

Name:  old-people.jpg
Views: 838
Size:  147.7 KB

I dunno.. are there old people in Red Deer..? I have a image in my head that its only full of 20-37 single mothers, and young single guys driving pickup trucks pretending to be conservative but stuggling to make child welfare payments. Or am I getting confused with Airdrie..?
    I dunno. Old people have power that thats my angle..

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 02:01 PM.

I had the distinct pleasure of catching one coming put of my neighbors garage. Neighbor saw him go in, i saw him panicking on the phone with the police.

He keeps a pair of vice grips on the door tracks, so the thief only had then door up maybe 16".

It was pretty dark, I ran over and the only thing handy was a widnow squeegee. I grabbed that and as the crook popped out, soon as i saw the whites of his eyes I smoked him with the squeagy. Stupid thing broke at least he screamed. We pulled him out and sat on him while the police came.

Ex fortmac guy, hooked on drugs now unemplyef trying to feed a drug habit. The police told me lethbridge and medicine hat are especially bad, and theres a semi organized car theft ring from there moving up here similar mos.

My Ride
    Model S

Justice for Colten

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by googe View Post
    Justice for Colten
    There was justice, the variety that saw him put 6 feet under

You are allowed your opinion. I don't have to agree with it. And maybe, just maybe, if you disagree with my sentiments, it might be you that needs to be a bit more open minded. The only reason I say that is because you quite literally are displaying the close mindedness you accuse me of.

Would honestly love to hear it. I won't pull you into a debate. I have an extremely high respect for police, I honestly have zero idea how anyone can do the job especially in this day and age.
    I don’t expect total agreement. I just don’t know if it’s worth speaking it when you demonstrated in your response to another poster that you already have your mind made up. That’s all. I’m happy to share facts and real world operating knowledge of how it works if you really want to hear it!
    ---------------------------------------------------

Any writings in this forum are my personal view and all opinions expressed should be taken as such; there is no implied or direct opinion representative of anything but my own thoughts on various subjects.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

I don’t expect total agreement. I just don’t know if it’s worth speaking it when you demonstrated in your response to another poster that you already have your mind made up. That’s all. I’m happy to share facts and real world operating knowledge of how it works if you really want to hear it!
    Like I said, please do. I won't endlessly debate your points or try to beat you. Would simply like to see your opinion.

My Ride
    Ford/Audi/Benz

Last edited by DustanS; 09-22-2022 at 11:24 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast