Quantcast
HID Bulb or Ballast Issues - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: HID Bulb or Ballast Issues

My Ride
    YH2/FK8

Default HID Bulb or Ballast Issues

I currently have an HID set up in my element. Recently, the light color on the driver side headlight is turning a bit green. Sometimes it would dim a bit, flicker, or not turn on at all. Sometimes it would light up much slower than than my passenger side headlight. Passenger headlight is fine and operates correctly.

I'm thinking it's the ballast? I haven't checked under the hood and into the set up yet. Just gathering some thoughts on what to look for or if anyone has had this issue before and can pin point on what to check, fix or replace to save me some time. Thanks again!
    SneakerFiles.com | Blog | Team AM Fam

1993 Honda Civic CX (B16A2) - 2002-2005
    1992 Honda Civic Si (K20A2) - 2006-2008
    2008 BMW 335i - 2008-2013
    2008 Honda Element EX AWD - 2013-Current
    2021 Honda Civic Type R LE - 2021-Current

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by JordanEG6 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I currently have an HID set up in my element. Recently, the light color on the driver side headlight is turning a bit green. Sometimes it would dim a bit, flicker, or not turn on at all. Sometimes it would light up much slower than than my passenger side headlight. Passenger headlight is fine and operates correctly.

I'm thinking it's the ballast? I haven't checked under the hood and into the set up yet. Just gathering some thoughts on what to look for or if anyone has had this issue before and can pin point on what to check, fix or replace to save me some time. Thanks again!
    Swap bulbs from one side to the other for starters.

First question would be are the DRLs on the same light as the HIDs and if so have you disabled DRLs? Can’t run HIDs on a low voltage input

My Ride
    changes daily :D

to be honest with how cheap led's are getting it's not even worth it to look into what's causing the issue. rip out, plug in led's and away you go. They run with so much less power and less to go wrong. and cheap enough.

My Ride
    YH2/FK8

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    First question would be are the DRLs on the same light as the HIDs and if so have you disabled DRLs? Can’t run HIDs on a low voltage input
    No DRLs, they are disabled.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Mine was doing the same issues as yours. Different color. Flickering. Some days it wouldn't turn on at all like you said, and I had to flash the high beams a few times and it would finally fire up. It was the ballast. Eventually I got sick of it and removed my HIDS altogether.

I might still have extra ballasts laying around. I grabbed 3 extra sets on Kijiji to keep on hand cause of these issues
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

I went with an LED kit from Amazon and havent looked back.. no more flickering, odd colors and worrying about bulbs.

My Ride
    YH2/FK8

So I finally got around to figuring out what's wrong with the HIDs after it the one finally gave out a week or two ago. The problem is the ballast.
    The box it came in has really no branding, warranty or any of that sort so I can't order the exact one. It is a ballast for a 6000K H4 set up.
    I'm thinking of ordering a set from Amazon and just replace both, question is, will any ballast for 6000K H4 bulbs work? Looks very close to these:

Name:  ballast_.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  77.5 KB

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Yeah honestly, if I had to replace anything from my current HID set ups due to failure of something, I would just replace it with LED. The quality is much better these days, easy install, and benefits are basically across the line favoring LED. I really enjoy the non-flicker and warming up aspect and no more worries on turning them off and on too much.