Quantcast
Alberta License Plate Ownership Transfers? (Single, Joint, etc.) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Alberta License Plate Ownership Transfers? (Single, Joint, etc.)

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Default Alberta License Plate Ownership Transfers? (Single, Joint, etc.)

Hey Beyond,
    Anyone who went through this process or someone who works/worked at a registry know how this works? I was getting mixed information and the registries I phoned didn't sound confident in their answers.

A few years ago, I wanted to register a license plate my dad owned on his name due to sentimental value, so the registry told me I had to put it under joint registration because they can add my name to it, but they cannot remove my dad. I had asked if it was possible to do a direct transfer (dad to me only) and that was their response.

Fast forward to now, I'm being told that I actually didn't need to do joint registration and that I could have done a direct plate transfer ownership from my dad to me, but doing the transfer is a one-time thing so now I'm stuck in joint-registration mode.

So I was wondering, what is the actual rules? Is it a one-time thing and now if I ever want to register that plate, I always need my dad with me and have him on the insurance policy? Could I have transferred the plate to just me a few years ago instead of joint?

Also, this is a regular old 6 digit plate, not personalized.

Thanks for the help.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

From what i am aware of now the plate ownership can not be in any way changed... i learned the hard way when an incompetent registry clerk let me buy 3 support your troops plates without my wife present, after i received the plates and tried to register them, they told me i couldn't because i purchased them solely, so i couldn't put them on vehicles that were registered to both of us, i was pissed, figured they must be wrong, so i went to another reg and they verified that the plate could not be changed, the only option i had was to purchase new plates, or sell all 3 vehicles from "us" to "me" so we did that... it was a very frustrating experience that could have been avoided by the clerk doing his job and taking 5 seconds to pull up my registration, or simply ask me who the registered owners were on the vehicles... i assumed the plate would not be bound until first registration, but its bound when purchased.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

Quote Originally Posted by Thaco View Post
    From what i am aware of now the plate ownership can not be in any way changed... i learned the hard way when an incompetent registry clerk let me buy 3 support your troops plates without my wife present, after i received the plates and tried to register them, they told me i couldn't because i purchased them solely, so i couldn't put them on vehicles that were registered to both of us, i was pissed, figured they must be wrong, so i went to another reg and they verified that the plate could not be changed, the only option i had was to purchase new plates, or sell all 3 vehicles from "us" to "me" so we did that... it was a very frustrating experience that could have been avoided by the clerk doing his job and taking 5 seconds to pull up my registration, or simply ask me who the registered owners were on the vehicles... i assumed the plate would not be bound until first registration, but its bound when purchased.
    That is like nails on a chalkboard reading. In a world where I can trade stocks, view my security cameras, adjust my thermostat even tune my car all from a small device I carry in my pocket and the registry still can’t do basic shit makes me cringe.....

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Ended up going to a registry that allowed me to change my 6 digit plate from joint ownership back to single. This is the second time I transferred ownership too. Got lucky I suppose?