Quantcast
Insurance (Auto and Home) - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Insurance (Auto and Home)

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

We’re with MM and we got a letter saying everyone else gets overland coverage except us (we’re near the river). Lame.

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We’re with MM and we got a letter saying everyone else gets overland coverage except us (we’re near the river). Lame.
    Not gonna lie but hearing this actually makes me happy.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Just means if we want it we need to swap providers. All the other majors have it and it’s dirt cheap. MM just being difficult, as usual.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I was under the impression getting overland flood coverage was like pulling teeth as an overall statement?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Everyone else in the market has had it for years now, TD was last to the table. Did they say in your email how much coverage you get? Most providers have lumped overland water in with sewer back-up so if TD has followed suit you may very well be capped at $15,000 - $50,000 coverage depending on your physical location.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

No idea. Haven’t actually seen a change to my actual policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    I won't speak for TD / RBC / AMA but overland flood is not covered. Period. However if your sewer system backs up and you have purchased sewer back up coverage (we put it on every single property policy that goes out the door) then you SHOULD be fine. Where things went sideways with TD / RBC / AMA is they said the SBU was CAUSED, directly or indirectly by overland flooding therefore they weren't covering. None of the other mainstream companies (Intact, Aviva, Economical, etc.) pulled that shit. If you had SBU, you were covered.

On a side note, Intact insurance is estimating that they alone (not the entire industry) could spend upwards of $300,000,000 on Calgary alone and another $200,000,000 on Toronto. That's half a BILLION by one company in just two events.
    So when you say that “all the other companies have covered this for years”, is that something new since the 2013 floods when it wasn’t covered. Period? Because I felt like it has been reiterated dozens of times on here that in Canada you are general SOL for overland flood insurance.

That’s the only thing that I thought was novel, limitations to sewer backup has been a thing for a while.
    Last edited by killramos; 05-09-2019 at 01:39 PM.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    Everyone else in the market has had it for years now, TD was last to the table. Did they say in your email how much coverage you get? Most providers have lumped overland water in with sewer back-up so if TD has followed suit you may very well be capped at $15,000 - $50,000 coverage depending on your physical location.
    Bill, you and I have had this talk before I'm sure, but in case anyone else is wondering. If you have any kid of water damage to a developed basement, regardless of cause, it's going to be waaaay more than $15k costs even for a smaller place. Some places it will be under that $50k amount, but for lots, it will be more than $50k. removing flood damaged material is very expensive because it's labor intensive, and stripping every wall back to the studs is a huge amount of hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    toyotas, mitsu, and a ford

I was with Pembridge for the previous 2 years for home and auto. Went up almost 40% each year. Got Fed up and shopped around.

Made this spreadsheet some might find it interesting, I tried to get similar coverage from different places to get a good idea. Wouldn't even consider intact after dealing with them on a not at fault vehicle claim.

Questioned bill on why PC financial could put me on pembridge for much cheaper than my renewal through him. Apparently they have Introductory rates to get people to switch, then increases every year because they know most people won't shop around.

My renewal was the bottom pembridge line.

Edit: Looked at my notices and guess i was with them three years. Initial was 1550, 1980, 2270, 2919...
    Last edited by Crazyjoker77; 05-09-2019 at 07:39 PM.

My Ride

No idea. Haven’t actually seen a change to my actual policy.

So when you say that “all the other companies have covered this for years”, is that something new since the 2013 floods when it wasn’t covered. Period? Because I felt like it has been reiterated dozens of times on here that in Canada you are general SOL for overland flood insurance.

That’s the only thing that I thought was novel, limitations to sewer backup has been a thing for a while.

All of this came about after the 2013 floods. Pressure from the government & public came pretty hot & heavy by the fall of 2013. By the spring of 2014 companies had started to offer coverage, Aviva and Cooperators being the first two. By Christmas 2014 or spring 2015 at the latest pretty much all companies had coverage of some kind available (again, subject to your physical location). Because 99% of the insurance companies in Alberta went from no flood coverage to flood coverage within a 12-18 month span, it was surprising that TD waited until now to participate.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Bill, you and I have had this talk before I'm sure, but in case anyone else is wondering. If you have any kid of water damage to a developed basement, regardless of cause, it's going to be waaaay more than $15k costs even for a smaller place. Some places it will be under that $50k amount, but for lots, it will be more than $50k. removing flood damaged material is very expensive because it's labor intensive, and stripping every wall back to the studs is a huge amount of hours.

You bet! Claims from the 2013 floods were analyzed and a decent sewer back up or overland water claim runs about $200 per square foot of developed basement space. That covers pump out, clean up, tear out, decontamination, rebuild and replacement of average quality family possessions. We had a client come to us last fall who was just finishing a SBU claim (different insurance company) and just the clean up, tear out & decontamination portion was $50K which was all the coverage they had. They had to pay out of pocket for a new hot water tank & furnace plus they now have to rebuild the basement themselves and they don't get anything for their possessions.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Interesting. I personally live pretty high up and don’t really have any flood concerns and would probably opt out if allowed, but options are always nice.

fact.

My Ride

Interesting. I personally live pretty high up and don’t really have any flood concerns and would probably opt out if allowed, but options are always nice.
    Your house being high up or on a hill doesn't exclude you from SBU or overland water claims at all. Sewer pipes can collapse, blockages further down-line can happen, rain storms can overwhelm window wells and city storm water systems. There are large swaths of Auburn Bay for example that can't get overland water coverage because of poor community & infrastructure design. Also, look at Chestermere, it was two or three summers ago (can't recall exactly) but they had a TON of localized flooding due to an insane rainstorm.

Now that's not to say your particular residence is at-risk (or not), but saving $50 - $300 a year on your home insurance isn't going to do you much good if you get hit with a $75,000 (or worse) loss.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Just got my auto renewal from Pembridge yesterday. Surpringsly it did not increase. Was $22 cheaper than last year. But to the home policy increase 35%

Anyone else find Pembridge slow af sending renewals? I just got it yesterday, and policy expires on May 22, and they want full payment due in 3 days May 17. Intact/Aviva, I would get the renewals a month in advance.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Touchstone switched my policy from Intact to Pembridge and saved me some money last month. I got the paper for auto but haven't seen the paper for my home yet. So yeah, they are slow. I'll take the saving though.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 11:38 AM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Friend's main floor toilet water line burst when nobody home during the day. By the time they are home, most of basement is already soak/flooded.

Insurance only covered $15K.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Friend's main floor toilet water line burst when nobody home during the day. By the time they are home, most of basement is already soak/flooded.

Right, which would be included in overland flood coverage how?

fact.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post

Right, which would be included in overland flood coverage how?
    Two possible angles here. Normally a plumbing leak / rupture is clean water (similar to say the water line to your dishwasher) and would have nothing to do with sewer back-up or overland water, all damage would be covered. My guess though is that because this was toilet related perhaps it wasn't the fresh water supply line to the tank but somewhere beyond the bowl, as in the drain. Insurance deemed it sewer back-up which is often (not always) tied together. If you opt out of overland water you sometimes opt out of sewer back-up as well.

Still though, we've had more than a few toilet related water claims over the years and none of them have been classified as SBU so I would be curious to see the details on this one. Back in the late 90s there were a ton of problems with Crane toilet tanks spontaneously cracking and leaking water, I think there was even a class action lawsuit.

I was with touchstone for 6 years. Every year the rates kept climbing. I'm a clean driver of 20 years in my mid 30's with no dui's, accidents, claims or tickets. Liability (plpd) was costing upwards of 120 a month. I had to switch, my peers were all paying 40-50 a month, and they were younger with a bad history (dui, accident, speeding). I switched to TD, and went to 580/year for insurance, thought I struck gold - I was finally getting what I felt I deserved.

Until renewal this spring, I'm back to paying 100/mo and I don't know why. TD says my insurance doubled because of my new address, which doesn't make a lick of sense.

Someone else mentioned its all the retards who can't drive and cause accidents that make the rates go up for everyone, which is believable.

I just feel like some of us are just hooped no matter what. Doesn't seem like a good system.

I had been with Touchstone for a few years. Premiums kept going up(i understand that) but the broker rep i found to be pretty poor. Slow to reply. Didnt feel like my business mattered.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Just got my home + auto renewal. Yearly premiums +18% with no tickets or claims
    Ultracrepidarian

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast