Quantcast
Work Hours and Life Balance - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: How many hours per day on average do you work?

Voters
204. You may not vote on this poll

19 9.31%

71 34.80%

39 19.12%

34 16.67%

22 10.78%
  • 12+

19 9.31%
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Work Hours and Life Balance

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Default Work Hours and Life Balance

Had a bit of a heated conversation this morning about work-life balance in Alberta and curious what is actually "normal" for Albertans.

For the poll, if your job typically has you being "on-call", try to factor that in as well. Additionally if you're on a work rotation/FIFO, what does that average out to?

Do you have fairly consistent hours (ie: 8-5, Mon-Fri) or all over the place?
    Last edited by msommers; 08-17-2018 at 03:47 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Used to be at or near 8. Within the last year have been promoted into a management role, with giving up overtime pay now realistically sit at around 12+ hour days (working from home, office and answering phone calls etc throughput the day and night).

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

I'm in the Auto Industry, Monday-Friday, 7:30am-4:30pm (1 hr lunch break) with the occasional 1 Saturday a month 9am-4:30pm. If working the Saturday, would get the following week Friday off. But there is one dreaded day in a Parts Advisors life that really sucks. Inventory. Ends up being a 15-16hr shift that day. So 9 daily
    Last edited by dj_rice; 08-17-2018 at 04:01 PM.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    ute

Theres about a six hour window every day, 7 days, where I won't pick up the phone for a client. I dont usually travel too many times zones if I can help it. And I'm never anywhere where there isn't good voice and data coverage.

How does that add up?

My Ride
    NC1

I pondered this a lot through the years and as you get older, you realize there's no right way, there's only what works for you.

I use to get a lot of fomo and blamed work but then I gotta credit work too because I'm debt free and whatever I missed out on, I can do it now.

During the busy years it was easily 70-80 hours a week but now it's more like 50-60 with 1/4 of the time watching tv/netflix and I even take slow weekdays off to go on dates haha

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Theres about a six hour window every day, 7 days, where I won't pick up the phone for a client. I dont usually travel too many times zones if I can help it. And I'm never anywhere where there isn't good voice and data coverage.

How does that add up?
    Certainly your call but I would look at this as work is any time you're doing work, regardless if answering calls/emails or not. All those calls/adjustments/emails may be short but add up. Whatever that number looks like on average I'd plug it in but speculating, it seems 12+ is normal for you.

I would even say that if you're on vacation but phone is attached because you feel or need to be checking emails/taking calls, that should be factored in somewhere as well.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Typical work day for me is 12.5 hours up to 16 hours, 3-4 days a week on average.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

Averaged 100 hours a week for a good 7 or 8 years, at times hitting 110 hours a week for 1-2 month stretches. Now I am in the 90-100 hours a week range and continuously working towards reaching my goal of 60 hours a week.

Everyone is different, I work like this while I have a friend who’s a petroleum engineer, who works 1-2 years then takes 1-2 years off to travel the world. I get it, but each of us has our own set of priorities and goals, which can change over time.

My Ride
    something green

My company owns me, on call every day of the year, when stuff breaks, I work. Even family time tends to involve work, with work trips that involve distance, I often take my whole crew so they can do something fun somewhere while I am at a jobsite. 5 more years, then I'm pulling the plug.
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I've been backing off on the work part of work/life for the past month. Getting sick of the BS.

I'm a little different as I work 7, 12 hour shifts, then 7 days off. So theoretically I only get every 2nd weekend off, except for over 7 months now I'm constantly having to go in on that weekend for at least a day. I've worked more OT this year than all of last year already. Fucking tired of it and refusing lately. My boss is pissed about it too, but it's his own fault for not hiring people when he was given the green light to (last fall), and now there's a severe shortage of qualified people in my industry. Of course the company is refusing to increase pay to attract people, and we're just expected to bear the brunt of it.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

I’m good at what I do, but I don’t derive a lot of satisfaction from it these days. A lot of that is situation specific at the moment, but in general I’d rather work less and spend more time with my family and pursuing rewarding hobbies.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 02:16 PM.

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

9-10, pretty light now, my last job was around 90-100 hour weeks due to shift work, and before that I was a consultant so the company owned me. I don’t mind 45-50 hour weeks, but would love to shift to a 4 day week with the same hours, don’t see that happening any time soon though.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

For the people pulling 60 plus hour weeks would you consider yourself blue or white collar? As a white collar worker I find my productivity/creativity drops dramatically at the end of a long day and it makes more sense to call it a day and tackle it another day. Just my 2 cents. I don’t get much fulfillment out of work other than the social aspect of it so working long hours so the company might make more money really doesn’t appeal to me. People nearly always regret working too much and spending it on stuff they don’t really need. It’s cliche but time really is the most valuable commodity.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 02:16 PM.

My Ride
    something green

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan View Post
    For the people pulling 60 plus hour weeks would you consider yourself blue or white collar? As a white collar worker I find my productivity/creativity drops dramatically at the end of a long day and it makes more sense to call it a day and tackle it another day. Just my 2 cents. I don’t get much fulfillment out of work other than the social aspect of it so working long hours so the company might make more money really doesn’t appeal to me. People nearly always regret working too much and spending it on stuff they don’t really need. It’s cliche but time really is the most valuable commodity.
    The actual work I do is blue collar, but being the business owner, there is a little white collar activity thrown in, not a lot, but its not all tool time like being an employee in the same business. Time is irreplaceable .

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    If you love what you do, you'll never work a day in your life!
    That would be true if your job was one set defined task, and you loved that sole task. After 27 years, I'm pretty sick of the job overall, but there are some tasks that I still enjoy within the job, wouldn't call it love, but I forget that the task is work while I'm doing it. There aren't too many challenges left for me in my career, I'm on autopilot more or less now, which makes for some boring times...
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Just finished a 45-50 hr/week gig. It use to be 50-60.

Moving to a new role of 40/wk with 3 on call weekends a year.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

The engineering firm I work for was taken over by another firm last year sometime, since then, it’s gone from a decent work life balance to all work and no life. New firm squeezes every penny outta u during and after hours. Have been doing 60-70 hours a week now, just insane.

Don’t mind long hours, but not for months straight. Balance is very important, have serious anxiety right now haha.

M-F 730 to 5 are the reg hours. Work 30 extra a day to save time for an extended day off or flex day a month, haven’t taken 1 day yet. Hours now for me have more been 6am to whenever. Meetings with UK and Houston starting at 6am, just nuts.

Have been jumping online for about 2-3 hours on sat and sun now jus to keep caught up. Nuts.

I don’t know the extent of your discussion op, but for me seems more work than life in Calgary, at least for me. I noticed when I was in van, Montreal that the balance there is def more life than work, kinda like a union or government job haha. But that’s just my opinion.
    Last edited by BokCh0y; 08-18-2018 at 02:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

Seasonally work tons and seasonally take a lot of time off. I have put in 100 hour work weeks and I have worked no more than 80 hours in 3 months. Just depends.

My Ride
    NC1

A beyond baller once said to me:

What kind of life do you wanna live?
    How much does that cost?
    Get your ass to work.
    Empires aren’t built on idle hands

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast