Quantcast
Gotchas - moving from iphone to android - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Gotchas - moving from iphone to android

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Was an Iphone user back in the day, then did a stint with Windows Phone and have been Android since. There is no way in fucking hell would I ever go back to an IPHONE. I have to carry an iphone once every 6 weeks or so for work support, I can't believe how fucking frustrating that thing is to use. I would never. I have no commitment to any ecosystem, I don't buy music or apps really, but just the lack of a back button on an iphone is enough for me. It seems like with an iphone you can place the back button anywhere one pleases, there is no consistency.

Anyways, no thanks, would never go back.

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was an Iphone user back in the day, then did a stint with Windows Phone and have been Android since. There is no way in fucking hell would I ever go back to an IPHONE. I have to carry an iphone once every 6 weeks or so for work support, I can't believe how fucking frustrating that thing is to use. I would never. I have no commitment to any ecosystem, I don't buy music or apps really, but just the lack of a back button on an iphone is enough for me. It seems like with an iphone you can place the back button anywhere one pleases, there is no consistency.

Anyways, no thanks, would never go back.
    That is one of my #1 complaints as well and since I use both I am always expecting it to be there when it isn't - dedicated back buttons are WAY better for general navigation. I'm not sure about the iPhone but at least on the iPad you can sometimes swipe from the side to go back, but it doesn't work on every screen like the android back button does. A lot of screens require you to tap the top left, and then it goes WAY back, not to the previous screen - I can't even tell you how many shopping carts and other similar sessions I've had to re-do because of that haha. Having to tap the top left corner to go "back" is not ideal. I am not sure how they do it on the X, it might be better.

My Ride
    ute

The entire way to navigate through an iPhone is far less sophisticated than on Android. I can't believe people stand for it. Just look at how long that company refused to acknowledge that right mouse buttons existed. It's a fucking Duplo OS.

Prediction for 2019: Apple announces iOS 14 or whatever, and the big feature is a back button. Then they will have a TV ad campaign with funky music and an iPhone floating in the air, and someone will press the back button and the iPhone people will go crazy. Then I'll have to hear my buddies when I'm out for beers talking about the awesome new back button feature on their new iPhone. "Look at this man...it goes BACK TO THE LAST THING YOU JUST DID!!!"

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Basically, it boils down to what you're used to. Android back button vs iPhone swipe right gesture. I don't have a home button anymore either, that would drive you guys insane haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Prediction for 2019: Apple announces iOS 14 or whatever, and the big feature is a back button. Then they will have a TV ad campaign with funky music and an iPhone floating in the air, and someone will press the back button and the iPhone people will go crazy. Then I'll have to hear my buddies when I'm out for beers talking about the awesome new back button feature on their new iPhone. "Look at this man...it goes BACK TO THE LAST THING YOU JUST DID!!!"
    I'll bet you a lunch that's not gonna happen.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Basically, it boils down to what you're used to. Android back button vs iPhone swipe right gesture. I don't have a home button anymore either, that would drive you guys insane haha.

I'll bet you a lunch that's not gonna happen.
    ARe you holding me to the 2019 year? lol

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

ARe you holding me to the 2019 year? lol
    I ain't waiting 2 years for a free lunch.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Maybe the Plus phones or higher storage variants are in more demand. Nobody would buy my iPhone 8 64GB (literally as-new) until I dropped it to $600. Got tons of $5XX offers that I turned down thinking they were the usual low-ballers but the market ended up being not much higher than that. It lost ~40% value in around 6 months. Maybe if I held out longer than 2-3 weeks I could have got a bit more but I re-posted that ad every single day for maximum traffic and nobody would pay me anywhere near $700. Got tons of replies. That was just my experience. My sample size is small but I definitely did not experience anything special for resale even with a pristine sample of the latest generation model. Before that I sold a 2 year old iPhone 4S and I am pretty sure I had to let that go for $280.

EDIT: Just noticed yours was the 7 not the 7+. Still that was a $1200 phone and less than 50% for only being 1 generation old doesn't sound that great for resale. Basically identical to my last Pixel.
    Ahh, smaller size variants are usually tough sells. Where possible, always go max storage.

I'll take that bet if you don't (or just an easy $100).

My favourite rumours of the past many years, were "analysts" anticipating Apple releasing iMessage for other platforms. idiots.
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

Quote Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
    Ahh, smaller size variants are usually tough sells. Where possible, always go max storage.
    Yeah that was probably a factor - especially when used, if people can grab the higher GB variants for pennies on the dollar compared to buying new that is probably very attractive. My work would only buy me the poor mans version

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Yeah that was probably a factor - especially when used, if people can grab the higher GB variants for pennies on the dollar compared to buying new that is probably very attractive. My work would only buy me the poor mans version
    Your employer wouldn't let you top up the difference? I usually sell mine within a week or less of posting for %60 of MSRP, about 15-18 months after launch.

My Ride
    ute

I can just buy you the free lunch, and you can have a contingent liability.

- - - Updated - - -

My favourite rumours of the past many years, were "analysts" anticipating Apple releasing iMessage for other platforms. idiots.
    a back button ain't an ecosystem.

Your employer wouldn't let you top up the difference? I usually sell mine within a week or less of posting for %60 of MSRP, about 15-18 months after launch.
    I already had to pay $200 out of pocket for the base model 8 - I wasn't willing to do more than that. I could have got any model I wanted, but after a certain threshold it was all my money. Also, I have no need whatsoever for more than 64GB. Thanks to seamless cloud services I am not even using half of my current 64GB. On the iPad though I went 256GB because I use it to edit drone footage and as a backup while traveling. The only PITA is getting the data off afterwards, there is no plug and play drag & drop in Apple's world.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Is this not including any drinks or something? Are you guys all students on a budget or something?

I still remember when Apple "insiders" said that Apple would be coming out with a netbook (before the first iPad came out), a TV with Apple TV integrated, and most recently the iPhone SE2 that was supposed to come out at the start of the year (then the second quarter, then the third, now the fourth). A lot of analysts rarely get anything right unless it's something blatantly obvious like a processor/memory upgrade.

I disagree with ExtraSlow's comment about picking an ecosystem and sticking with it. Yeah, you lose out on some nice integrations, but I mix and match across different platforms/devices and have no issues at all. It's just about finding what works for you:

- I still use an old iPhone for music when biking/working out just cause I prefer the interface, but if I had to use it as an everyday phone, I'd get annoyed with it really quickly even though I started with the original iPhone 2G. I hate Safari, so I use Chrome on it when I want to read the news or look up something quickly and I have Google Photos to sync pics to my Google account when I want to access it on my Android phone(s). I even installed the Google Keyboard on it for the swipe typing.

- Even though I've been an Android phone user since 2011, I just can't get used to Android tablets for whatever reason so I have an iPad. I'm still not a fan of iOS but for me, I prefer it over any Android tablet. Again, I have whatever Google apps installed on it so I can easily transfer stuff between the two.

- Some apps just work better/have a better interface on one system over the other. In some cases apps may not even be available on one or the other.

- I really like macOS/OSX and have been a user since the G3 days so my work and home laptops are Apples, but I keep a Chromebook around for traveling and have a Windows desktop for photo editing.

- I'm still using an iPod Classic that I manage on both my Windows and Apple machines.

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

a back button ain't an ecosystem.
    ? misquote?

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    Is this not including any drinks or something? Are you guys all students on a budget or something?
    I'm pretty easy.

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post

I still remember when Apple "insiders" said that Apple would be coming out with a netbook (before the first iPad came out), a TV with Apple TV integrated, and most recently the iPhone SE2 that was supposed to come out at the start of the year (then the second quarter, then the third, now the fourth). A lot of analysts rarely get anything right unless it's something blatantly obvious like a processor/memory upgrade.

I disagree with ExtraSlow's comment about picking an ecosystem and sticking with it. Yeah, you lose out on some nice integrations, but I mix and match across different platforms/devices and have no issues at all. It's just about finding what works for you:

- I still use an old iPhone for music when biking/working out just cause I prefer the interface, but if I had to use it as an everyday phone, I'd get annoyed with it really quickly even though I started with the original iPhone 2G. I hate Safari, so I use Chrome on it when I want to read the news or look up something quickly and I have Google Photos to sync pics to my Google account when I want to access it on my Android phone(s). I even installed the Google Keyboard on it for the swipe typing.

- Even though I've been an Android phone user since 2011, I just can't get used to Android tablets for whatever reason so I have an iPad. I'm still not a fan of iOS but for me, I prefer it over any Android tablet. Again, I have whatever Google apps installed on it so I can easily transfer stuff between the two.

- Some apps just work better/have a better interface on one system over the other. In some cases apps may not even be available on one or the other.

- I really like macOS/OSX and have been a user since the G3 days so my work and home laptops are Apples, but I keep a Chromebook around for traveling and have a Windows desktop for photo editing.

- I'm still using an iPod Classic that I manage on both my Windows and Apple machines.
    lol jesus, you lead an overly complicated device life.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I'm a mix and matcher too. iPhone/iPad/Apple TV for mobile and entertainment, Surface Pro for work, Google for productivity/collaboration/email/drive/cloud stuff. I tried converting to Mac but nope, couldn't do it. I'm too old to switch I think.

My Ride
    ute

? misquote?
    No, I just was thinking the comparison wasn't apt. iMessage is a critical part of the ecosystem, and can't really be touched. A back button is not the same. Probably a better comparison was how stubborn and silly Apple was about cut and paste.

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

I'm a mix and matcher too. iPhone/iPad/Apple TV for mobile and entertainment, Surface Pro for work, Google for productivity/collaboration/email/drive/cloud stuff. I tried converting to Mac but nope, couldn't do it. I'm too old to switch I think.
    I do similar. No old devices, over-complicating my life. iPhone/iPad/AppleTV.
    Work laptop is boring. but easy Win10/M$Office/O365

No, I just was thinking the comparison wasn't apt. iMessage is a critical part of the ecosystem, and can't really be touched. A back button is not the same. Probably a better comparison was how stubborn and silly Apple was about cut and paste.
    Bit of a leap in the convo -- but gotcha.

My Ride
    ute

ya, I Was unclear on what I was trying to say.

My Ride

I was an iPhone user since the 3g till iPhone 6s till it died in the middle of a field, lost reception and never came back. Anyways my brother hooked me up with an S7 edge, I was rocking the Axon 7 before that one amazing stereo sound but it is glitchy as hell, so he gave me this s7. The feature or app that left a big hole was iMessage, I been called names cause of the green blobs instead of blue lol.

WhatsApp is not the same as iMessage it doesn't even come closed since it down samples everything, from videos to photos something iMessage doesn't do, and about the customization Bs well everything in android needs an "app", I don't want to download million apps just to get Flash notification , or the copy paste garbage of holding screen to paste, not like iPhone with one tap and paste indicator shows up, but battery life on Android is more impressive than iPhone, and colors are really saturated as well on screen, I'm still holding off buying a new phone waiting to see what Apple comes out with this year, but the S9+ is a big contender this year. Oh almost forgot most of my home smart stuff doesn't work with android like it does with Siri anymore so that was a disappointment .
    Last edited by SCHIDER23; 09-07-2018 at 02:07 AM.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by SCHIDER23 View Post
    I was an iPhone user since the 3g till iPhone 6s till it died in the middle of a field, lost reception and never came back. Anyways my brother hooked me up with an S7 edge, I was rocking the Axon 7 before that one amazing stereo sound but it is glitchy as hell, so he gave me this s7. The feature or app that left a big hole was iMessage, I been called names cause of the green blobs instead of blue lol.

WhatsApp is not the same as iMessage it doesn't even come closed since it down samples everything, from videos to photos something iMessage doesn't do, and about the customization Bs well everything in android needs an "app", I don't want to download million apps just to get Flash notification , or the copy paste garbage of holding screen to paste, not like iPhone with one tap and paste indicator shows up, but battery life on Android is more impressive than iPhone, and colors are really saturated as well on screen, I'm still holding off buying a new phone waiting to see what Apple comes out with this year, but the S9+ is a big contender this year. Oh almost forgot most of my home smart stuff doesn't work with android like it does with Siri anymore so that was a disappointment .
    Everything in Android does not need an app as you can quite easily get away with using core apps like Gmail, Hangouts, Messages etc.

The reason so many people love the Android ecosystem is because of the freedom that if you don't like the stock Messages app you can download another that gives you more flexibility and freedom.

The sharing between apps in Android is 100x better and so much faster and I do agree that the copy/paste function in Android is a bit of a nuisance but it works well for what it needs to do.

The reason why home automation stuff works so much better for Apple over Android is because developers don't give Android as much of a chance and when things are to be developed in the IOS/Android world they always choose IOS first.

My Ride

I did not say anything about email apps, because they are the same in both OS , I am using hangouts for one contact and it is also really glitchy it crashes randomly with phone calls, and other messaging apps is the same thing I stated " downloading another app" I just want to be able to use the phone without having to download a 3rd party app, just to get a decent experience thats all, I'm not dissing android but it has is drawbacks same as IOS not perfect either, but it has improvements that android has not achieved yet.

The freedom of customizing sounds great but I noticed the cool looking backgrounds or themes tend to impact battery quite a bit, I'm not sure if sacrificing battery just so you can see a pretty background moving is worth it, or color shifting themes but whatever...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast