Quantcast
Hail Damage Opinion - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hail Damage Opinion

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If car is worth 20k (debatable) and they are offering you 6k payout, that's awesome. 30% of total value for something that's "hard to see in pictures" and doesn't affect handling or safety?

Take the cash bro.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    I had no idea these cars were worth so much.

If it's got 185k on the clock already, on average how much more before it becomes a money pit?
    They seem to have flatlined around the mid-high 20s. If maintenance is kept up (brakes are the worst), it'll run forever. Guys in the states have ISFs with >200k miles on them that haven't had any major maintenance/failures. It's like owning any other toyota, just faster and louder.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    If car is worth 20k (debatable) and they are offering you 6k payout, that's awesome. 30% of total value for something that's "hard to see in pictures" and doesn't affect handling or safety?

Take the cash bro.
    I disagree. I've got one of these cars and keep a close eye on the used market. There's enough out there in good condition that having unrepaired hail damage will demolish the value on a car that otherwise hasn't really depreciated in the last few years. I'd bet it's a wash (i.e. 6k payout will decrease value by 6k), but it'll be a lot harder to sell. You'll basically be waiting for a teenager that's willing to overlook the damage to have a fun car for cheap. On the other hand though, I suppose if you're going to drive it til it has 250k on it, you'll run into this problem anyways.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Didn't previous posters say this car is worth $25k - $30k? Not sure how its even up for debate to not repair it considering that.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

The way I see it is if you think the car is worth $20k before hail, if you take the $6k payout will you be able to sell the car easily for $14k as is?

Personally I’d be in the market for a $14-15k ISF with hail damage but I’m doubtful many other people would be.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    The way I see it is if you think the car is worth $20k before hail, if you take the $6k payout will you be able to sell the car easily for $14k as is?

Personally I’d be in the market for a $14-15k ISF with hail damage but I’m doubtful many other people would be.
    Especially one that you can't even get a good photo of the damage. Fuck, I'd pay $15g right now for that.

I'd repair it for sure, that ISF is still good money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Take the money and run. Well... thats what I would do, but im cheap.
    Its a depreciating asset. You get free Moola and get to keep the car!

Here are some pics I have of the damages. The roof dents are about loonie size and the hood ones are more of dime size. Like I said before, it's harder for it show up on pics depending on the angle as well.

Name:  IMG_9032[1].jpg
Views: 358
Size:  102.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_9033[1].jpg
Views: 354
Size:  47.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_9034[1].jpg
Views: 340
Size:  76.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_9035[1].jpg
Views: 348
Size:  60.9 KB

LOL this thread is like exactly whats going on in my head. "Take the cash; Bro you think you can drive with a dented car; If you plan on keeping it a while, is it worth even fixing?; What if you want to sell?"

Struggles

I would think pdr would have no problem with those. I think ammonyc has a pdr vid showing similar repairs and with an experienced tech you won’t be able to tell

My Ride
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230, 1968 Chevy Impala

Problem solved. Take the money and run, then fix it yourself.

https://www.amazon.ca/WHDZ-Repair-Da...words=hail+rod

1968 Impala: Status: Stored
    1977 Dodge Triple E RV: Sold
    1989 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL: Sold
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230: Cruising
    2000 Bluebird TC2000: Build phase of skoolie project
    2018 Rav4 XLE: New baby friendly daily

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    If the opportunity presents itself, it'll sell in no time. Those new hail damaged sales at dealerships clear out unbelievably fast, and it's a shit deal to have a new car uninsurable for hail, insurance implications in an accident, etc.

As for resale, fixed or not, wouldn't there be a record of a claim on Carfax or Carproof? It's going to hit resale either way IMO.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

I would agree with diminished resale due to hail claim although based on what you guys are saying, these cars seem to be rare enough that someone might be willing to overlook that and pay full pop anyway?

Either way, I'm not an ISF enthusiast so I don't know jack about these cars but to me, a 10 year old car is a 10 year old car. Money is king and you can use it on anything from a new vehicle to hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Aznshadow85 View Post
    So based on the documentation provided to me, the pay out would be the hail damage repair minus the deductible only. So essentially $6k.
    It’d be less than that because they’ll deduct labour costs, etc if you take a cash payout. Best to call your adjuster to confirm the exact amount before making your decision..

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

I've had hail payouts on 2 of my cars and it's never been anything less than what the body shop quoted to fix the cars. Both times I've taken the payout and sold the car privately. Between the payout and private sale, I got way more than market value for the cars.

Quote Originally Posted by gpomp View Post
    I've had hail payouts on 2 of my cars and it's never been anything less than what the body shop quoted to fix the cars. Both times I've taken the payout and sold the car privately. Between the payout and private sale, I got way more than market value for the cars.
    When I took a payout on a vehicle I only received 80% of quoted total. That said I was also able to sell the car + payout for more than the value of the vehicle.

That said, the ISF is in a different territory of vehicle. I don't think with that damage you'd be able to sell it for $20k

I'd take the payout.

i have a similar situation with the OP. my 2008 rdx was damaged by hail a couple of weeks ago. the cost estimate is $5800 + gst for repairs. looking around kijiji and autotrader, i can probably get $8,000-$10,000 if i were to get it repaired sell it privately. my insurance gave me the option to get a cash settlement, instead. basically, i can get paid out 60% of the total cost estimate before gst minus a $250 deductible. it comes up to around $3200. i've owned my rdx since i bought it brand new 10 years ago, so i know it's in great mechanical shape. i think i'll drive it until it dies, so i'm thinking of getting a cash payout instead.

i've never done this before, so unless i intend to sell my rdx eventually, are there any disadvantages to getting a payout?

thanks!
    Last edited by nj2Type-S; 08-23-2018 at 03:56 PM.
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Are you looking for a happy ending?? If so, PM me...

If you plan to sell this car in the next couple of years then fix it. If you plan to keep it for a while take the payout. Sell it when it's worth around $3-$5k cause when people are looking at cars at that price they aren't looking for immaculate condition vehicles so hail damage like that won't make that big of a difference in selling price. High school kids would pick this up in a second for a small discount. Plus your's isn't bad at all IMO. Personally, I keep my cars until they die so I would take the payout.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2