Quantcast
winter commuting tires - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: winter commuting tires

My Ride
    Giant Reign

Default winter commuting tires

I have a question for you regular winter commuters: I've been using 700x35's for the past couple of winters, and even though they're studded I'm really sick of getting pushed all over the pathway when I hit any snow that's even remotely packed down. My question is how fat do I need to go to cut most of that issue out? I'm looking at 26x1.75, 26.2 and then have been eyeballing 27.5+ bikes but really would rather keep the winter commuter less expensive. Thoughts on tire widths during winter riding around town?

- - - Updated - - -

I should add that I have a pretty long commute (about 25km each way) so the skinnier I can get away with the better. That being said, really really tired of battling packed snow!
    Several studies have investigated the relationship between intelligence and the degree of religious belief (excluding humanism), with most showing an inverse correlation between intelligence averages and the "importance of religion" to the testee.

My Ride
    Wankels!

I've run studded 29x1.75 and non-studded 29x2.2 and it's nowhere near wide enough to float on the snow. You get the same washout in deeper snow pack. I'd think you need at least a plus-sized tire to help stay on top of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin_Racecar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've run studded 29x1.75 and non-studded 29x2.2 and it's nowhere near wide enough to float on the snow. You get the same washout in deeper snow pack. I'd think you need at least a plus-sized tire to help stay on top of it.
    That just crushed my hopes and dreams!

I just got studded 700X42' for my bike after getting thrown around all of last winter.

My Ride
    07 997TT

Ya I’m on studded 700 x 35 and can’t ride worth shit on snow
    Was debating a fat bike as well

My Ride
    Giant Reign

I guess I'll go the 27.5+ route then. That's too bad, I was hoping something sort of regular size would handle the packed snow pathways a little better. Maybe I'll risk a cheap CCM bike.....

On that note, does anyone have any preferred stud kits? I've always gone with studded winters, but given the cost I'll probably just stud my tires myself this year.
    Several studies have investigated the relationship between intelligence and the degree of religious belief (excluding humanism), with most showing an inverse correlation between intelligence averages and the "importance of religion" to the testee.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

I had that same problem last year and ended up getting a fat bike Carrier blitz was selling his. Oh man, what a difference it makes on powdery snow. Now i go for a spin around the neighborhood for fun whenever there's a fresh dump of snow even if it's not a work day.

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

I have 21kms each way. On the bad days (heavy snow) you can't beat the fat bike - but even then, tire pressure (or lack there of) makes a big difference for how much float you get.
    My advice would be, go the widest you can fit on your commuter. On heavy snow days drive part way with the bike (ie: river pathway or similar), or get a fat bike.

My Ride
    Giant Reign

Fat bike sounds amazing in the winter, but I'm really worried about loss of speed (we have a one year old at home and I want to get home as quick as I can so I don't miss him before bedtime). What kind of difference are you seeing when you make the switch to the fat bike? My commuter is pretty well maxed out with a 700x35 studded (I have a giant fastroad), but I'm looking at 27.5+ bikes right now thinking I can lower the pressure on the bad snow days and have just enough float to not get tossed all over the pathways after folks have walked on the snow. Then on decent days where the pathways are cleared I can pump them up a bit and get the rolling resistance down. Makes sense in my head....we'll see if I'm swearing on the first bad snow day haha.

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Quote Originally Posted by calgarygts View Post
    Fat bike sounds amazing in the winter, but I'm really worried about loss of speed (we have a one year old at home and I want to get home as quick as I can so I don't miss him before bedtime).

All you can really do is try it with the setup you have.

The fat bike does add ~15 mins, but makes roads passable that otherwise wouldn't be on my CX bike.
    Completely understand as I have 2 kids at home also. I try to hide all / most of my training by commuting to maximize time with them.

Normally I reserve the fat bike for bad days, but last winter I committed to commuting daily on it. I did see a noticeable increase in my FTP as a result.

My Ride
    cbr600, z71 sierra, 4x4 kodiak

Fatbike + ebike kit = win?
    For skinny tires my ice spiker pros are wicked traction. I have ridden on pure sheets of ice many times, and climbed up hills you can't walk up.
    Same with nokian freddies revenge, but good luck finding these ones.
    Hittin' every hole

1999 gmc sierra z71, 5.3L 4x4
    2004 cbr600f4i
    2008 kodiak 450

Quote Originally Posted by Boosted131 View Post
    Fatbike + ebike kit = win?
    For skinny tires my ice spiker pros are wicked traction. I have ridden on pure sheets of ice many times, and climbed up hills you can't walk up.
    Same with nokian freddies revenge, but good luck finding these ones.
    I have the same issue as OP, pure ice is actually fine it’s the loose and deep snow that sucks big time.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    I have the same issue as OP, pure ice is actually fine it’s the loose and deep snow that sucks big time.
    what model and width are you running?
    my skinnies are 2.35 which seem to do decent. I wanna go to a 26x2.8 studded, but they don't make them.

I ran the dillinger 5's last winter on my fat-e-bike and they're amazing and 4.8" wide.
    Hittin' every hole

2004 cbr600f4i
    2008 kodiak 450

what model and width are you running?
    my skinnies are 2.35 which seem to do decent. I wanna go to a 26x2.8 studded, but they don't make them.

I ran the dillinger 5's last winter on my fat-e-bike and they're amazing and 4.8" wide.
    My winters are 35mm, no way I want to haul a fatbike over 20kms, would take a couple hours lol

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    My winters are 35mm, no way I want to haul a fatbike over 20kms, would take a couple hours lol
    well there is why. My "skinnies" are 60mm with 361 studs each.
    Hittin' every hole

2004 cbr600f4i
    2008 kodiak 450

well there is why. My "skinnies" are 60mm with 361 studs each.
    Haha yea my definition is a little different. But riding 40+km a day on something that wide would be miserable
    Last edited by J-hop; 08-30-2018 at 06:05 PM.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by calgarygts View Post
    I have a question for you regular winter commuters: I've been using 700x35's for the past couple of winters, and even though they're studded I'm really sick of getting pushed all over the pathway when I hit any snow that's even remotely packed down. My question is how fat do I need to go to cut most of that issue out? I'm looking at 26x1.75, 26.2 and then have been eyeballing 27.5+ bikes but really would rather keep the winter commuter less expensive. Thoughts on tire widths during winter riding around town?

- - - Updated - - -

I should add that I have a pretty long commute (about 25km each way) so the skinnier I can get away with the better. That being said, really really tired of battling packed snow!
    Did my first proper snow ride today on 700x35c studded winters. Started off at 65psi and couldn't keep a straight line over any ruts or tire tracks of packed slush/ice. I was about to call it quits after 1/2 a block, but before I did, I tried dropping the pressure until the tires were pretty squishy (didn't have a gauge with me) and it was immediately 10000x better. If you didn't already buy new tires, try playing with tire pressure to see if you can find a reasonable compromise first.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    Giant Reign

I had a horrid commute this morning - I'll drop the pressure for sure before going home....that was bad news this morning. I'm pretty well committed to something wide after this morning (looking at 4" right now). I have a big ol' mid-drive electric kit so speed will be fine, I think I'll be buying a fat bike and just never worrying about snow again. If it's five extra minutes a day I don't care, the confidence while riding through crap conditions around traffic will be worth it.

My Ride
    Giant Reign

I ended up getting a GT Pantera from Sportchek for just a hair under $600, and that has 27.5x2.8 tires with fairly tame tread. I rode through the snow yesterday and had the best time I've had on a commute in a long time - I was actually laughing out loud while passing the cars that were backed up through Bowness haha. For anyone like me who was debating a fat bike vs. slow speeds for commuting, you may want to try a plus size bike. I went down a very steep trail the last two days (goat trail from Tuscany down to Nose Hill just east of the Home Depot) with no problem on the stock tires at 30psi, and I imagine once I get winter tires on there it'll be ever steadier. It was slower than my 700x35 fitness bike, but not by enough to really care. I'm a big fan of my new chubby bike, I recommend trying them out for winter commuting!

My Ride
    rally pig

Are studded tires wider than regular tires?
    The dew is currently running 700x38c touring tires with fenders with max clearance for 700x35c, it fits although sometimes I hear the tire grazing on the fenders.
    Wondering if 700x38c studded tires will be too wide, ISO seems to be 40-622.

My Ride

Anyone selling a fatbike with 100mm bottom bracket and 190mm rear spacing? I bought one to convert but ended up being 110mm after reading online it was 100.
    Hittin' every hole

2004 cbr600f4i
    2008 kodiak 450