Quantcast
Bow Hunting Thread - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bow Hunting Thread

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Default Bow Hunting Thread

Anybody getting out on Saturday to begin the season? Drew a mule buck in 156 this year after 5 years of priority. Been scouting every weekend and I've seen a ton of big mule bucks in velvet. So pumped...

My Ride
    E90

Never hunted in my life, but i'm looking forward to giving it a go this year. Bow Hunting might be too extreme for me right now, but maybe something i'll get into in the future. Subbed.

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

I’m going out Wednesday. I have some issues with a grizzly bear near my tree stand though. Perhaps the wolves will distract himName:  1BA7142F-ADDD-4F8A-8ED7-75E8D7593019.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  71.2 KB

Trying for this guy

Name:  1891EB1D-6A66-4DFC-8FC2-EA236DB3A91E.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  146.6 KB

My Ride

Scrap that I want this guy. Name:  2AB00638-C46E-4781-AC93-625078FDCAB1.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  155.4 KB
    Name:  9A32CD1E-4AB6-42F9-8656-38CCF0495677.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  152.0 KB
    Last edited by SJW; 08-31-2018 at 06:29 PM.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Had a grizzly spoil one of my spots a couple years back. Looks like that guy is well fed, might leave ya alone haha..

That whitetail would be money! Go get him!

Could of had a 3 point muley on Saturday from 30 yards but figured I’d save my tag for a better one.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Name:  FB5308B3-8C18-4783-8E05-6A79D2BACBE0.jpeg
Views: 403
Size:  106.7 KB
    Name:  2B920DB6-9DC2-4FBA-88AF-F9809D568053.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  42.0 KB

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Name:  0D24B80D-D8AE-4D44-A249-712A1D4895C6.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  100.6 KB

Congrats.

I've been out scouting lots. My goal for the year is an elk/moose.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Thanks man! Where are you planning on heading for your elk/moose?

I'll be helping my wife get her doe for the rest of the season mainly, might get out to 406 for a whitey buck too..

Ill be spending a lot of time in 228/230. Family has lots of land there. We've got lots of cameras up everywhere.

Typically take a few weeks off work come oct/Nov. Looking forward to checking the cameras next week.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Any of you guys have any plans to switch over to your rifle now that the season has opened?
    I was out by Fallen Timber on Sunday with a general Whitetail tag in hand, bumped a few but was unsuccessful at the end of the day. Hoping to get out at least once a week. I am hoping to gain access to some farmland one of my companies operators owns so I don't have to deal with the masses.

I made it out for rifle season. Been scouting lots through out October. Been bumping into all sorts of moose in a specific area on private land. Must have seen 30+ moose on some days.

Last year on rifle opener it was a gong show on this property but this year it was extremely quiet. Most likely due to the land owner limiting access this year with written permission and more rules on hiking only.

Having scouted this area quit a bit over October I decided I'd have 2 friends(1 adult 1 kid) push some bush while I was setup on the other side of the trees. Almost like clock work I had a couple moose pop out 50-100 yards in front of me. As I'm lining up for a shot I had 2 more pop out. Then 2 more.. next thing you know theres 11 or 12 moose to pick from.

Took down a great size bull. Had to cut it in half and use man power to get it into the truck... as usual I prepped and cut everything at home.

Helped a friend get a cow moose in same area that was sleeping on the side of the road... couldn't have been an easier shot. Helped another friend get a decent size white tail doe yesterday as well.

Been an interesting year so far. Not a lot of luck getting deer but the moose in many different zones are plentiful. Specifically on a families farm that hasn't seen moose most years.

I'll be working on getting my son his big trophy buck for his first kill. Now that hes done his hunters ed and got his pal that's all hes talked about. It's a big request but worth the effort to help make happen.

Got my elk last night.. super random as I was out deer hunting on private property. Wasn't intended but I'll take it.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Good work gwill! Always a nice to surprise to get something you hadn’t planned for. I’m fortuante enough that I own land in 156 and even more fortunate that my family owns a large portion of 212 so I rarely have to hunt with the public yahoos.

I spend most of November getting poachers and tresspassers in deep shit because my land is a hotspot. Already caught 2 this year, needless to say the CO in my area has become a good friend. Unfortunately I can’t be out there all week so often I come back to find deer with their heads chopped off or the intestines scattered all over my property. Not much of a rifle hunter myself but I do release pheasants each year and we get a ton of huns, so I’m always out with my 12g for birds.
    Last edited by BavarianBeast; 11-14-2018 at 09:59 PM.

It was my first elk so I was ecstatic!! I was hunting in a zone I've never hunted in. Had to knock on a lot of doors and chat with a lot of locals... Its always interesting to see how some people are so friendly while others are a total dick.

I've done a lot of hunting and can say getting this elk beats any other hunting moment for me.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Quote Originally Posted by gwill View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Got my elk last night.. super random as I was out deer hunting on private property. Wasn't intended but I'll take it.
    Congrats, my buddy managed to get his Elk not to long ago and just last week got a Mulie on some private land down by Vulcan. It's a shame I am out of vacation already this year, grumble. I will be helping him butcher that guy shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good work gwill! Always a nice to surprise to get something you hadn’t planned for. I’m fortuante enough that I own land in 156 and even more fortunate that my family owns a large portion of 212 so I rarely have to hunt with the public yahoos.

I spend most of November getting poachers and tresspassers in deep shit because my land is a hotspot. Already caught 2 this year, needless to say the CO in my area has become a good friend. Unfortunately I can’t be out there all week so often I come back to find deer with their heads chopped off or the intestines scattered all over my property. Not much of a rifle hunter myself but I do release pheasants each year and we get a ton of huns, so I’m always out with my 12g for birds.
    If you ever need another set of boots on the ground during the weekend to patrol let me know.
    Having to share land with all sorts of people is getting old. My only hope is that someone bumps something my way.

What kind of dog/s do you have to chase down pheasants?
    Last edited by KRyn; 11-15-2018 at 10:08 AM.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

That’s awesome it was your first Elk. The rush of taking down an animal that’s more than twice your size is sure exhilarating.

Kryn, I always welcome respectable people on my property and I’d be happy to let you use the land if you wouldn’t mind meeting me out there one day so I can show you around. I will give you heads up though, all mules are on draw out there, whitetails are open but they are not the most common to see. I do see them around occasionally. Feel free to PM me if you’d still like to get out.

I don’t have a dog myself but I’ve got a friend with a Brittany spaniel that does very well and another with a golden lab that’s equally as good. I’ve spent a ton of time and effort growing the pheasant population out there over the last 7 years by releasing and keeping the coyotes down so they are doing really well. Every time I’m out hunting I at least see 4-5.

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Fellas

I have some moose & elk, I'd like to Jerky. Butcher recommendations? I was thinking Rocky's on Edmonton trail.

Thanks!
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

jerky is too easy to make so I'd take it to whoever is close to you. I picked up a cold smoker for my Louisiana grill and did a batch of 30lbs of jerky last week.

The cold smoke makes it super easy to do massive batches.

My Ride

Cam

I made this deer jerky with a cabelas mix and a dehydrator from amazon. Lights out good. Name:  94BA2A64-1760-467A-96ED-26293E676014.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  45.0 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast