Quantcast
Alonso to retire at end of season - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Alonso to retire at end of season

My Ride
    95B

Default Alonso to retire at end of season

Two-time champion Fernando Alonso is leaving Formula One at the end of the season and potentially moving to IndyCar in the United States.

McLaren Racing says Alonso will not return to F1 next year for an 18th season. It comes during lengthy speculation that McLaren will enter IndyCar with Alonso as one of its drivers.

Alonso ran the Indianapolis 500 a year ago and was in position to win the race until his engine failed.

Alonso has 32 career F1 wins, 22 poles and 97 podiums. He won two world titles and was runner-up three times.

Alonso did not address his future beyond saying in a statement he will explore new adventures.

"After 17 wonderful years in this amazing sport it's time for me to make a change and move on," he said.

"I made this decision some months ago and it was a firm one. There are still several grands prix to go this season, and I will take part in them with more commitment and passion than ever," he added.

"Let's see what the future brings; new exciting challenges are around the corner. I'm having one of the happiest times ever in my life but I need to go on exploring new adventures."

https://www.tsn.ca/f1-s-alonso-to-re...ason-1.1157562

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/45188028

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

August 19th deadline for IndyCar with Andretti. Announces F1 retirement August 14th. Let’s hope he stays long enough to race in Calgary.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

He needs to do some rubbing with Kyle Busch, Kevin Harvick and the boys.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    golfR

My Ride
    Grimace

Was hoping he would still stick around. Hopefully Vandoorne is safe for a bit then
    https://www.mclaren.com/formula1/tea...onso-decision/

McLaren confirms Fernando Alonso decision

Fernando will not race in Formula 1 in 2019

McLaren Racing today confirms that double F1 World Champion Fernando Alonso will not race in Formula 1 in 2019.

Fernando, who turned 37 in July, is competing in his 17th F1 season, his fifth with McLaren, and has amassed 32 wins, 22 pole positions and 97 podiums to date. Beyond his two titles – in 2005 he became the then-youngest world champion in F1 history – Fernando has been championship runner-up three times.
    Zak Brown, Chief Executive Officer, McLaren Racing, commented:

“Fernando is not only an outstanding ambassador for McLaren but also for Formula 1. His 17 years in the sport, as arguably the pre-eminent driver of his generation and undoubtedly an F1 great, have added another layer to Formula 1’s rich history.

“There is a time for everyone to make a change and Fernando has decided the end of this season to be his. We respect his decision, even if we believe he is in the finest form of his career. Our open dialogue with Fernando has meant we could plan for this eventuality.

“While evaluating his future during the past months, Fernando’s competitiveness has been undimmed. He has continued to perform at the highest level throughout, as we know he will do in the remaining nine races of this year’s championship.

“I know that the entire team joins me in paying tribute to Fernando’s enormous contribution to McLaren; he is a legend both for the championship and for the team. Fernando is an important part of our story and will join an illustrious line of McLaren drivers. On behalf of Shaikh Mohammed, Mansour and our entire board, we wish Fernando every success in the future.”
    Fernando Alonso commented:

“After 17 wonderful years in this amazing sport, it’s time for me to make a change and move on. I have enjoyed every single minute of those incredible seasons and I cannot thank enough the people who have contributed to make them all so special.

“There are still several grands prix to go this season, and I will take part in them with more commitment and passion than ever.

“Let’s see what the future brings; new exciting challenges are around the corner. I’m having one of the happiest times ever in my life but I need to go on exploring new adventures.

“I want to thank everyone at McLaren. My heart is with the team forever. I know they will come back stronger and better in the future and it could be the right moment for me to be back in the series; that would make me really happy. I have built so many great relationships with many fantastic people at McLaren, and they have given me the opportunity to broaden my horizons and race in other categories. I feel I am a more complete driver now than ever.

“I made this decision some months ago and it was a firm one. Nevertheless, I would like to sincerely thank Chase Carey and Liberty Media for the efforts made to change my mind and everyone who has contacted me during this time.

“Finally, I would also like to thank my former teams, team-mates, competitors, colleagues, partners, journalists and everyone I have worked with in my F1 career. And, especially, my fans all over the world. I am quite sure our paths will cross again in the future.”

My Ride
    golfR

I bet the next announcement would be Sainz to McLaren.

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

Quote Originally Posted by chongkee_ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sainz and Norris next year at McLaren... Stoffel is done

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Damn, can you tell me the lottery numbers too? It was 50/50 Sainz would go there though.

My Ride
    golfR

I expect it'll be Gasly to RBR, Norris to TR.
    Not sure about Force India. Stroll and Ocon might swap seats.
    Sainz to McLaren has been nothing new, Alonso has been priming him up for his seat behind the scenes. Similar to what Webber did to Ricciardo.

My Ride
    golfR

It's official.
    Sainza to McLaren.
    https://twitter.com/mclarenf1/status...107757056?s=21

My Ride
    XT6

Shouldn't be a surprise but Gasly to RB.

Does that leave two vacant seats at TR?

My guess is some type of deal to release James Key to Mclaren for Norris?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I'm just waiting patiently for the Alonso to IndyCar announcement. He's already doing a test with Honda next month.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

With regards to Kimi - he just released a book about his career - hes either done this season or will do one last one with Ferrari.

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    With regards to Kimi - he just released a book about his career - hes either done this season or will do one last one with Ferrari.
    Gasley confirmed at RB... the pieces are falling into place

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

Norris official now... at mclaren

Watched the F2 race and didn't see anything special from Norris or Russell. The British press likes to hype these guys but I don't think they will be any faster than Stoffel. Not a huge fan of Sainz either. McLaren will be fighting for 10th again next year.

I hope Ocon gets a seat somewhere.

Would be interesting to see if Alonso will do any other IndyCar racing aside from the Indy 500?

The race this past weekend in Portland was amazing with passing happening everywhere on the track, F1 could learn a thing or two from IndyCar.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

Quote Originally Posted by phreezee View Post
    Watched the F2 race and didn't see anything special from Norris or Russell. The British press likes to hype these guys but I don't think they will be any faster than Stoffel. Not a huge fan of Sainz either. McLaren will be fighting for 10th again next year.

I hope Ocon gets a seat somewhere.
    I think that stoffel was given an impossible task... a team that is imploding and a world champ as your team mate. Very hard to impress... hopefully he goes to WEC or formula e and is impressive ...

It’s sad that mclaren and Williams are at the back of the pack... such a let down from their world champ pasts.

I am sure Ocon will get a seat it will take an outright release from Benz then I am sure a number of teams will fight for him....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Would be interesting to see if Alonso will do any other IndyCar racing aside from the Indy 500?

The race this past weekend in Portland was amazing with passing happening everywhere on the track, F1 could learn a thing or two from IndyCar.
    I could see him racing the season in Indy... as fun as winning is he does not have any competition in WEC, and he is a racer at heart and wants fight for a win...

My Ride
    golfR

Stoffel is a candidate for Toro Rosso but Daniil seems to be closer to the seat according to a couple of articles. He might be better off going to Formula E.
    Only seat available for Ocon is Williams and but Merc don't have the same partnership as Ferrari/Sauber.
    Williams can ask for a huge engine discount to give Ocon a drive otherwise he will be out too.

It will be interesting if Perez goes to Haas to replace Grosjean. Then it will be Ocon/Stroll at FI.

For 2019 I predict:
    FI - Ocon/Stroll
    Haas - Mag/Perez
    TR - Daniil/Stoffel
    Ferrari - Vettel/Leclerc (Rai RET)
    Sauber - Ericsson/Gio
    Williams - Sergey/Kubica

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

Williams can ask for a huge engine discount to give Ocon a drive otherwise he will be out too.

It will be interesting if Perez goes to Haas to replace Grosjean. Then it will be Ocon/Stroll at FI.

For 2019 I predict:
    FI - Ocon/Stroll
    Haas - Mag/Perez
    TR - Daniil/Stoffel
    Ferrari - Vettel/Leclerc (Rai RET)
    Sauber - Ericsson/Gio
    Williams - Sergey/Kubica
    Ocon is not an option for Williams cause Benz would have to give engines to Williams which is not going to happen, Williams will sign a driver that can bring big dollars to the team... and that is not kubica

FI Perez/ stroll... perez bigs too much $$$ to fi to be let go
    Haas, mag yes , I don’t see gros back there... not sure on the second
    TR depends if Benz release Ocon

Stoffel is going to have to go out of f1, he is damaged goods in f1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast