Quantcast
2019 Dodge Ram - Thoughts? experiences? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Dodge Ram - Thoughts? experiences?

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Default 2019 Dodge Ram - Thoughts? experiences?

So, been looking into trucks, and the 2019 Rams have caught my eye, specifically the rebel. They are now on more of a level playing field with Chev and Ford with HP/TQ and towing/capacity numbers. And I have to say, they have a way better interior now, so much so that my F150 looks like a basic work truck in comparison.

The bring thing is, for 2019 they have stretched the cab over 4" and that now gives them the biggest back seat leg room of all the trucks, which is pretty much #1 priority for me and the family.

I took one out for a drive today, and the truck felt pretty good. Ride quality was great, and they have 4 corner coil suspension versus leaf in the back in my F150. Only thing I thought that the F150 did better was steering, as the Ram felt kinda stiff.

I am also interested in the new e-torque system that adds like 130tq to the 5.7L during initial acceleration. I like that since that would help with fuel economy numbers quite a bit.

I was wondering, what do current owners think about their trucks? what kind of fuel economy numbers are you getting? Is the Ram Eco-Diesel worth it? 5.7L Hemi the better choice? Overall satisfaction with the truck? reliability?
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    K-car

Been watching the 5th gen forums pretty carefully, these trucks are buggy as hell but I kinda expected that from FCA. The interiors are nice, I wouldn't get the 12' screen myself but it sure looks cool.

My Ride
    Trucks

I wouldn’t buy another until this 10 year old Hemi version is updated. Also, my friend with an Ecodiesel has looked at his fuel costs and ALL his savings for the life of the truck will be completed negated by the scheduled emissions costs.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

I'm also thinking of selling off my '14 Ram and getting a '19 Ram, but the Chev's have also caught my eye. I ran into a guy at the gas station yesterday who had just bought a '19 Ram. He said it was great. He also spoke specifically about the increased leg room in the back seat.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by corsvette View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Been watching the 5th gen forums pretty carefully, these trucks are buggy as hell but I kinda expected that from FCA. The interiors are nice, I wouldn't get the 12' screen myself but it sure looks cool.
    I admit, I want it, but it is one of those things where it is not available in the trim level I am considering, but the truck I am looking has the 8" version. But the techy guy in me is screaming, screw the cost, get the big screen! lol

What have you been seeing in those forums as far as bugs go? and which forums? It may be worth my while to go on one of them and ask some questions too.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    K-car

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    I wouldn’t buy another until this 10 year old Hemi version is updated. Also, my friend with an Ecodiesel has looked at his fuel costs and ALL his savings for the life of the truck will be completed negated by the scheduled emissions costs.
    Yeah all the nice interior can't make up the fact these guys are dead last in the power race.....pretty important feature in a pickup is power.

Here Spikers, this is the 5th gen forums. Like any truck the first year will be buggy.
    https://5thgenrams.com/community/thr...our-poll.1017/

I am on ramforums.com and there is a specific section for 5th generation Rams and a ton of really great people that will answer any questions you have. As far as I know, a lot of the issues are software related, such as the 12.1 screen and car play not working, weird noises coming from A/C, whistling noise in high speeds and so on but for the most part most 5th Gen owners are quite happy with their trucks.

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

I’ll most likely be getting one a few years from now. I’ve had good luck with my 2012. I’d do it now if they were reasonably priced but the ones I want are 70k basically. I’m not paying more than 50k.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

completed negated by the scheduled emissions costs.
    What does this mean?

I've done the math, on purely a mpg basis, the ecodiesel wins hands down. With a chip, they can make 500tq. More than sufficient for a half-ton towing less than 10klbs as long as the 10 speed can handle it.

If I ever buy a new truck, it'll likely be an ecodiesel.

My Ride
    K-car

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    What does this mean?

I've done the math, on purely a mpg basis, the ecodiesel wins hands down. With a chip, they can make 500tq. More than sufficient for a half-ton towing less than 10klbs as long as the 10 speed can handle it.

They have some stiff competition. Ford has a new V6 powerstroke and GM has a inline 6 diesel coming early 2019.

My Ride
    Trucks

What does this mean?

The cost to rebuild the DEF injectors and something about the regen system that fouls up and costs a fortune to repair. I don’t know the details about it, but plan to delete all the emissions crap the same day the warranty ends or suffer the consequences.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

The cost to rebuild the DEF injectors and something about the regen system that fouls up and costs a fortune to repair. I don’t know the details about it, but plan to delete all the emissions crap the same day the warranty ends or suffer the consequences.
    I'd probably just delete all of that stuff anyways, deleting it doesn't void your warranty.

As for the Ford and GM diesels, "we'll see" is my reply to that. The ecodiesel is a proven engine. I'm a gm fanboi through and through, so the turbo 2.7L 4 cylinder in the gms have caught my eye. That thing with a chip would tow better and have more torque than 2013 and older 5.3 litre trucks, which is saying something, especially if it has a 6+ auto attached.

My Ride
    Trucks

Deleting is what you do to your warranty. You may find a dealer, though, willing to try and screw the head office over.

My Ride
    SL550, P100DL, F-450, FIAT

Deleting is what you do to your warranty. You may find a dealer, though, willing to try and screw the head office over.
    Totally off topic, ish.

I had a semi which needed 2 EGR coolers ( under warranty ) the warranty work was $11,000 and to delete the truck it was $4000.
    Guess which route they picked then charged head office for the full amount .... lol
    Professionally Retired

My Ride
    K-car

Quote Originally Posted by KPHMPH View Post
    Totally off topic, ish.

I had a semi which needed 2 EGR coolers ( under warranty ) the warranty work was $11,000 and to delete the truck it was $4000.
    Guess which route they picked then charged head office for the full amount .... lol
    This has me ???? Recently had a truck with an ISX Cummins in it (12' western star) Bought only for resale, a truck like that would sell MUCH easier if it were deleted. I'm scared to as some guys are saying deleting ANY emissions equipment will result in a immediate fail on your CVIP. If it came with it from the factory it must stay there is what I'm hearing........enlighten me lol.

My Ride
    Silverado

My BIL works for a company who is only running trucks from the late 90s with basically all new power train. Apparently the emmision system costs are way too high

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

No. Just... no.

Do a bit of reading, educate yourself. If you delete emissions equipment, the warranty is no longer valid for emissions equipment. And considering the emissions equipment is what usually causes the warranty claim in the first place derp.

They need to prove the delete did anything to other equipment to not allow a warranty claim. This has all been talked about ad-nauseum on this forum, I thought people were finally over urban myths circa 2001

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    Not gonna lie, that is an option. But I also have the reasoning that this next truck is going to be the truck that my eldest daughter learns to drive in. I have quite a chunk of equity in my current truck so I would like to roll that into a new truck and get warranty back. Having a large repair bill pop up outta left field is just not something I want to pay for right now. (not that my current truck is exhibiting any signs of a failure now).

but I am hesitant on the '17 EB as it is a completely new engine, and I don't wanna be first out of the gate and get one and be the guinea pig...I am pretty happy with the current 3.5L
    How'd the driving lessons go BAHAHAHA I knew the the 2016 wouldnt be the last truck for awhile. Its your money and all but from your truck posts you should either buy a higher trim truck or lease because its obvious(to me at least) that you arent happy in lower trimmed trucks. If youve got the money to bang then giv'r but this will be round 3 of the depreciation cycle in 7 years lol
    I'm also surprised you're even considering a new from ground up truck if you were hesitant to try a mild refresh on the f150. Youd basically be " first out of the gate and be the guinea pig.." on the 19 ram no?

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    The bring thing is, for 2019 they have stretched the cab over 4" and that now gives them the biggest back seat leg room of all the trucks, which is pretty much #1 priority for me and the family.
    Ive also heard some ridiculous reasons for wanting a new vehicle but this one takes the cake and then some. I know inches matter in some departments but were talking about 4 inches in a truck cab I have the supercrew too and that rear seat area is massive

Forgot to add that truck is way too new for any real world info.
    Last edited by Rocket1k78; 09-04-2018 at 11:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

No. Just... no.

Do a bit of reading, educate yourself. If you delete emissions equipment, the warranty is no longer valid for emissions equipment. And considering the emissions equipment is what usually causes the warranty claim in the first place derp.

They need to prove the delete did anything to other equipment to not allow a warranty claim. This has all been talked about ad-nauseum on this forum, I thought people were finally over urban myths circa 2001
    Here we go again...Next you'll be quoting the magnuson-moss act which doesn't mean dick in Canada.

The facts are, you delete, you void your power-train warranty. Any alteration completed by anyone other than the OEM will void it. To delete in any capacity, you must unlock and flash the ECM. This is flagged the second the dealer scan tool in connected and communicated to corporate. For warranty claims, scans are required so you will get denied.

There are SOME dealers that will do their best to help you out the best they can but the blanket assumption is delete = no powertrain warranty. Its in the documentation you are provided in the owners manual.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket1k78 View Post
    How'd the driving lessons go BAHAHAHA I knew the the 2016 wouldnt be the last truck for awhile. Its your money and all but from your truck posts you should either buy a higher trim truck or lease because its obvious(to me at least) that you arent happy in lower trimmed trucks. If youve got the money to bang then giv'r but this will be round 3 of the depreciation cycle in 7 years lol
    I'm also surprised you're even considering a new from ground up truck if you were hesitant to try a mild refresh on the f150. Youd basically be " first out of the gate and be the guinea pig.." on the 19 ram no?

Ive also heard some ridiculous reasons for wanting a new vehicle but this one takes the cake and then some. I know inches matter in some departments but were talking about 4 inches in a truck cab I have the supercrew too and that rear seat area is massive

Forgot to add that truck is way too new for any real world info.
    No, you are completely right. About all of it. Not even gonna argue any of it.

I love my 3.5 EB. The engine has been and IS solid. I love the numbers I get from it from HP and TQ to my fuel economy. I love the exteriors. I think out of all the available trucks, the F150 is the most stylish and resonates with me. What I have come to realize over the past 7 years of owning F150s, is that the ride isn't that great, and the interior is meh at best, no matter the trim level.

And ask any woman, size does matter.

As both my kids are tall, that rear space matters a lot. As I am also tall, when I put my seat back and tilt the seat, i encroach a fair amount into the back seat area. Giving the kids the extra 4" of space is a very meaningful addition, and overall, is probably the most important consideration for the vehicle. We use the truck anytime we are doing something as a family. Road trips, camping, getting groceries, whatever, anywhere the 4 of us are going together, we are in the truck. Last thing I wanna hear is them complaining in the back.

If I could create my perfect truck, it would be the body and drivetrain of the F150 and the interior and suspension of the dodge. If I could do that, I would be pretty happy.

Am I gonna go out and buy one tomorrow? I doubt it. The deal I would want would probably not be possible, at least not for a year or so which is enough time for me to do some research and see how the e-torque system works for others before I would dive into it. I am just trying to gather info and opinions more than anything.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast