Quantcast
What kind of insurance if I park my car for the winter on the driveway?? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: What kind of insurance if I park my car for the winter on the driveway??

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

Default What kind of insurance if I park my car for the winter on the driveway??

Before I go ahead and call my insurance company, who will no doubt try and sell me something I don't need, I thought I'd ask on beyond first as I'm guessing there'd be quite a few of you who do this with your cars...

I'm thinking of parking my "fun car" this winter for 4-5 months on my driveway to save a few $$ on insurance. I've always just driven it maybe a month total, if even, the entire winter when the weather is nice. The reason I'm not parking it in my garage is because I'm going to be parking my daily driver in there. My plan would be to park my "fun car" on the driveway and remove the wheels, battery, and a couple of parks to make it near impossible to steal. So I guess the only thing I would have to worry about would be vandalism or some other crazy act of act that I would need to insure it against (eg. some drunk driver slams into it or my neighbours house blows up and send a piece of concrete into it).

My question is, can I get away with having no insurance at all on it?? If it does get damaged, will my home insurance cover it? The car is worth maybe $13G tops (which is also how much I owe on it, so ya, insurance coverage is important).
    Last edited by NissanFanBoy; 09-02-2018 at 12:01 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Comprehensive only aka storage insurance. Pretty sure theres no home insurance that covers stored vehicles without a special rider.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Parking insurance is very cheap, I think like $20/month on my Vette. The real question is how long before someone complains about a car with no wheels and other potential parts missing sitting out on a driveway?

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    Parking insurance is very cheap, I think like $20/month on my Vette. The real question is how long before someone complains about a car with no wheels and other potential parts missing sitting out on a driveway?
    Lol...I do plan to get a car cover over it too, plus it'll be winter and the whole neighborhood looks like shit anyways.

Speedog, ya I figure comprehensive only... thanks, might not be worth it I have feeling they'll make so it cost only a bit less to discourage me.

Quote Originally Posted by NissanFanBoy View Post
    Lol...I do plan to get a car cover over it too, plus it'll be winter and the whole neighborhood looks like shit anyways.

Speedog, ya I figure comprehensive only... thanks, might not be worth it I have feeling they'll make so it cost only a bit less to discourage me.
    My parking insurance was 1/4 of the cost so I bet it will be worth it.

My Ride
    Silverado

Taking the wheels off? NW gonna NW

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    Taking the wheels off? NW gonna NW
    Better safe than sorry lol, it's an 09 370z with the 19 inch Ray's, won't fit on a lot of cars but still coveted by some...I live in Airdrie, property crime is pretty big here.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

House insurance never covers anything vehicle related other than a bit of "spare parts" stored in the garage. What most people refer to "parking coverage" as is just the comprehensive (theft, hail, vandalism, etc.) portion of your policy. You simply delete the liability & collision portion and you're done. The only catch I can see in your situation is that if you own money on the car most financing contracts stipulate that you must carry full coverage at all times. You may want to contact your lender to ask for permission. A lot of lenders never follow up on that stuff but I've seen some do it in the past and apply ugly penalties.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    SL550, P100DL, F-450, FIAT

The only issue with storage insurance is though if someone hits you on your driveway / something falls from the sky / hail etc is not covered. Storage insurance is a basic form of liability.
    Professionally Retired

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by KPHMPH View Post
    The only issue with storage insurance is though if someone hits you on your driveway / something falls from the sky / hail etc is not covered. Storage insurance is a basic form of liability.
    I don't think that's correct, as what most people refer to as "storage insurance" is actually comprehensive, the exact portion of insurance that covers hail, stuff falling from sky etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    dad van

Considering I've had a hail claim on a vehicle with parking insurance/Comprehensive this would be false. Comprehensive is what covers all this. All you're pulling is PLPD which covers others that you hit.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

You are incorrect sir. Comprehensive is theft, hail, vandalism, fire, wind, flood, etc., pretty much anything that can hurt your vehicle other than a collision and has nothing whatsoever to do with liability. If another vehicle jumped the curb and hit your car then THEIR liability would pay to fix your vehicle. The only time that would not happen is if the other vehicle was stolen, the driver had a medical emergency (heart attack for example) or simply left the scene of the accident. Under those circumstances then you would need to have collision coverage but again, liability has nothing to do with it.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    SL550, P100DL, F-450, FIAT

My bad, I’ve been fed wrong information!
    Professionally Retired