Quantcast
Buying a used car from an out of province dealership - worth the hassle? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Buying a used car from an out of province dealership - worth the hassle?

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Default Buying a used car from an out of province dealership - worth the hassle?

Hey guys, we are looking to pick up a used SUV and looking online some of the dealerships in the smaller cities like Kelowna BMW have way better prices (lower kms and/or lower $$) than in Calgary/Edmonton.

Any advice (or recommendations) if it's worth the hassle looking for something that's out of province or so much further away (>7hrs drive), or better to stay within Alberta.

Looking only at dealerships like Audi, BMW, Lexus etc.. not a used car lot.

Thanks!

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 02:24 PM.

My Ride
    KTM

I have done this before. You are tax exempt aside from GST.

Most recently I bought a truck in Regina. Negotiated the price was happy with the vehicle based on how it was described my biggest concern was the exterior and had I not been convinced it was perfect I would have asked them to take it to a body shop for an inspection. Flew in, dealer picked me up, exchanged cheque for bill of sale, mounted my plate and was driving back to Calgary within 30 minutes of landing- seamless.

My Ride
    Silverado

Worst part is having front license plate holes

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    True that.

I bought my car in Richmond, and there was no issue with the taxes, etc. They knew what to do there and just needed proof I was from out of province.

So really, if you find a better deal down there, go for it.

My Ride
    This and that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    If the car is less than 4 years old, BC and AB have a deal in place where you don't have to do an OPI

Other than the OPI, I don't see too much of an issue getting a car from BC as long as it hasn't been imported or something

For used cars you would generally pay tax when you register them, so that isn't an issue if you are taking it back to AB. However for used I have heard of dealerships charging PST and possibly the BC luxury and/or guzzler tax... my understanding is that if you make an agreement to have the car delivered to AB, you don't have to pay it. There must be a way to recover it if you do end up paying it I think, but you'd have to look into this in more detail.
    About the out of Province inspection, that's not entirely true. I found out the hard way in January when I picked up a 2018 540 from my regular BC dealership. Because the car was registered to their GM first in BC and considered a 'demo', even with less than 1500 km's, I had to get an inspection done before registering it in Alberta. Of course it was just a formality for pretty much a brand new car but a bit of a hassle nonetheless. There are exceptions to it, however, my car didn't fit it. From what I understand the exceptions are a really small category.

I would still do it though as it's not a big deal if the deal you're getting on the vehicle is good enough. Also about taxes, my guys there knows I am an Alberta resident so every time he gets me to do up a form which makes me exempt from BC taxes right off the bat and I only pay the AB ones. I will be heading back there soon enough at some point but I am trying to wait until next year but I wouldn't hesitate to get a car from there as long as the deal makes sense.

Also, I always negotiate with them to fill in the front license plate holes professionally or make paint matched caps to cover them up. lol. Had that done on my M3, then the 440 and now the 540 as well.

My Ride
    ute

I had a dealer force me to pay PST once. I had to recover the PST portion from the gov't. Was easy too.

My Ride

Nice. Thanks for the responses!

I've never bought a used car from a dealership before. My assumption is that they are generally in pretty good shape as they would detail the vehicle, do the inspection, and make sure everything is up-to-date. Thus also partly justifying the premium over private sales. Is this correct? Could i do what craigcd did and negotiate everything upfront, then fly out to do a final inspection and close, or should I make a trip out just to look at the car in-person first, then go back again to finalize.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by RX_EVOLV View Post
    Nice. Thanks for the responses!

I've never bought a used car from a dealership before. My assumption is that they are generally in pretty good shape as they would detail the vehicle, do the inspection, and make sure everything is up-to-date. Thus also partly justifying the premium over private sales. Is this correct? Could i do what craigcd did and negotiate everything upfront, then fly out to do a final inspection and close, or should I make a trip out just to look at the car in-person first, then go back again to finalize.
    Often dealerships do NONE of the things you are assuming. Even if they claim to or are selling the vehicle as Certified Pre-Owned (CPO). If they claim to have done work or even an inspection, ask to see the inspection or technicians notes.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 02:35 PM.

My Ride
    6.2 / 690

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post

Bumper plugs are great for this

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

The big thing to watch for will be cars from small towns on the coast or Island; they will have lived a life in close proximity to the ocean and the sea air can trigger premature rusting and other corrosion issues. You can look at the Carfax/Carproof history and view where it was serviced. That will be a good clue to figure out where it spent most of its former life.
    I dont buy that theory. I lived 26 years on the west coast with 13 being in Nanaimo.

Some of my friends are still driving around in their no rust 25 year old japanese vehicles. It rains a little, but all the time for about 6 months so any salt residue from the ocean is immediately washed away in the winter.

My wife owns a 10 year old vehicle that originated from Campbell River - zero rust until it spent a few winters here.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 02:35 PM.

I would absolutely buy out of province if the price was worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I had a dealer force me to pay PST once. I had to recover the PST portion from the gov't. Was easy too.
    Same thing happened to my sister in law

Quote Originally Posted by RX_EVOLV View Post
    I've never bought a used car from a dealership before. My assumption is that they are generally in pretty good shape as they would detail the vehicle, do the inspection, and make sure everything is up-to-date. Thus also partly justifying the premium over private sales. Is this correct?
    In some cases yes but i think the big reason for them charging the premium over private is because they offer financing.
    I would do like sugar said and get it inspected at another dealer just in case. Negotiate the price all in and make sure to note that the deal is dependent on your final inspection, give them a small deposit and then fly down and drive home if the vehicle is as described. We did this years back on a lexus but it was local and it was the best experience, didnt meet the sales guy til we picked up lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

OK thats a little more specific than 'close proximity' to the ocean.

If you are a block or two from the ocean then that would be a somewhat different climate than even 200m inland.

Also depends on which way the prevailing winds blow - offshore or onshore. Most of the Straight of Georgia has winds that blow along the straight, so any communities that stick out into the wind will no doubt get more sea air.

My Ride
    6.2 / 690

I agree with rev. I think it has way more do to with what the cities use on the roads than the sea air

If the car is less than 4 years old, BC and AB have a deal in place where you don't have to do an OPI
    This is not correct. The agreement in place would not qualify for what this guy is trying to do. He will have to complete an out of province inspection to register it in Alberta. Other than that, it's no different than buying one here. That being said, when you go to the registry to get your documents, ensure you have an original bill of sale with original signatures from the dealer and yourself on it. Copies dont suffice.

My Ride

Great thanks guy! It sounds like it might involve a bit of an OPI, but otherwise it's no different than buying it at a local dealership with all the precautions required. I'll extend my searches to Kelowna and Saskatchewan