Quantcast
Minimum wage $15. - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Minimum wage $15.

Yeah petroleum demand will always continue to rise. Politics lies that there isn't this upward trend.

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I dont know how some of the pubs and resturants will manage.
    I think we will see a lot of these places shutting shop.
    Easy, you go to a counter and order then pick up your own damn food.
    I'm available on contract to generate more op cost saving ideas if anyone needs.
    Last edited by mr2mike; 10-02-2018 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    Yeah petroleum demand will always continue to rise. Politics lies that there isn't this upward trend.

Easy, you go to a counter and order then pick up your own damn food.
    I'm available on contract to generate more op cost saving ideas if anyone needs.
    A surprising amount of places operate like this in other parts of the world. Or you order at a counter and someone just quickly drops off your food when it's ready. I actually really like it, and I get my food/drinks faster and my bill as soon as I want it.

My Ride
    1993 Toyota Supra RZ, 1989 Toyota Corolla DX

To those who are changing how they tip, most establishments have increased their house tipout to help with labour costs. This means servers really aren't making anymore money with the increase in minimum wage.

I don't mind tipping, but feel more and more like an idiot every time I *still* tip when service was garbage.

Every time we leave Alberta we get a sharp reminder of how no-one here seems to give two shits about doing more than the most basic function of their jobs. Ultimately this comes down to the same owners who fire up a store or restaurant and think they'll hit the 1% as a business owner. If you open a store and, day one, leave it to a hired GM to just make things work; then you should have just been an investor. Vision goes straight out the window along with company culture. If you don't care about how your company is run, neither will your people. If your only concern is to take what you can from the business, so will your people.

Take that culture of entitlement, feed it wage increases year over year, and you have bosses finding ways to screw employees out of the wages and employees doing the absolute bare minimum because their paycheque didn't grow. Anyone in that scenario that puts in more than the below-average (new average?) effort, which seems to be the new "unicorn", moves on to bigger and better things.

$15/hr minimum wage doesn't have to be a death sentence, but in this environment that seems to be the case.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by prelude98h22 View Post
    To those who are changing how they tip, most establishments have increased their house tipout to help with labour costs. This means servers really aren't making anymore money with the increase in minimum wage.
    So?

Sounds like some places will go out of business if they don't pay their employees. unno:

Either way, I don't care. No one should be getting paid more than $15/h to take an order and deliver food. Like wtf?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

It's probably illegal to take tip-out to make people earn below minimum wage, but in the end, that's not the consumers problem. Customers make a value decision based on service received, and it's natural that when minimum wage jumps, people wish to adjust thier tips Because the perceived value hasn't changed.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Z

Quote Originally Posted by syscal View Post
    I don't mind tipping, but feel more and more like an idiot every time I *still* tip when service was garbage.

Every time we leave Alberta we get a sharp reminder of how no-one here seems to give two shits about doing more than the most basic function of their jobs. Ultimately this comes down to the same owners who fire up a store or restaurant and think they'll hit the 1% as a business owner. If you open a store and, day one, leave it to a hired GM to just make things work; then you should have just been an investor. Vision goes straight out the window along with company culture. If you don't care about how your company is run, neither will your people. If your only concern is to take what you can from the business, so will your people.

Take that culture of entitlement, feed it wage increases year over year, and you have bosses finding ways to screw employees out of the wages and employees doing the absolute bare minimum because their paycheque didn't grow. Anyone in that scenario that puts in more than the below-average (new average?) effort, which seems to be the new "unicorn", moves on to bigger and better things.

$15/hr minimum wage doesn't have to be a death sentence, but in this environment that seems to be the case.
    Service is INCREDIBLY bad in Alberta. Everywhere. I've started going as low as 5% on occasion but I've only been able to bring myself to tip zero once
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

Quote Originally Posted by g-m View Post
    Service is INCREDIBLY bad in Alberta. Everywhere. I've started going as low as 5% on occasion but I've only been able to bring myself to tip zero once
    This. I am in restaurants 4-5 times a week (often for work) and service in Alberta is just horrible - highlighted by the fact that I have been to many other countries, including the USA, where it is night & day better because of (surprise!) how tips are handled. Much of the USA does it best - ~$2.30/hr or so, and the rest is tips. I can be in the crappiest TGIF/Applebees restaurant in the USA and get far better service than $150/plate Calgary restaurants. In some states they have to top you up to minimum wage if your tips don't get you there, which is very reasonable provided you're doing a good job. Or other parts of the world where tips are not expected and people just do a good job because they want to and are making a living wage...kind of like everyone else who isn't working in a restaurant.

I've been out a couple times since the change and have tipped 0% and 10%. I'm getting more used to it - I feel a little bit bad sometimes but at $15/hr I am done giving so much of my money away for literally nothing in return. My typical interaction with a server is no more than a cumulative ~60-90 seconds over the course of an entire 1-2hr dining visit. My plan is 0-10% for normal/friendly service, and up to 20% for great service (or a lot more on a tiny bill), special requests, etc. I'll happily tip generously if something beyond the absolute bare minimum is done, but that is VERY rare, almost non-existent, in Alberta restaurants. The automatic 20% tip expectation and O&G expense accounts have been around for so long that almost everyone wants to just coast along on the minimum possible work.

If any servers are complaining about people lowering their tips, maybe they should be increasing their effort / level of service up from "I'm here because I have to be". Or if the restaurant is screwing them over, do what everyone else does when they don't like their employer and find a new one. I think most people are happy to tip and tip well if the server, kitchen, or establishment goes out of their way to make their experience better - I certainly am. For example if I am out with my grandma and she makes a ridiculous food customization request, I am leaving a big tip if it's accommodated. If they are just going to do the bare minimum their job requires - take order, bring drinks, make food, deliver food, clear plates, etc. - they should be expecting 0% by default regardless of the tipping environment. It's one of the very few jobs I can think of where expecting to be paid extra for doing the minimum is expected.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This. I am in restaurants 4-5 times a week (often for work) and service in Alberta is just horrible - highlighted by the fact that I have been to many other countries, including the USA, where it is night & day better because of (surprise!) how tips are handled. Much of the USA does it best - ~$2.30/hr or so, and the rest is tips. I can be in the crappiest TGIF/Applebees restaurant in the USA and get far better service than $150/plate Calgary restaurants. In some states they have to top you up to minimum wage if your tips don't get you there, which is very reasonable provided you're doing a good job. Or other parts of the world where tips are not expected and people just do a good job because they want to and are making a living wage...kind of like everyone else who isn't working in a restaurant.

I've been out a couple times since the change and have tipped 0% and 10%. I'm getting more used to it - I feel a little bit bad sometimes but at $15/hr I am done giving so much of my money away for literally nothing in return. My typical interaction with a server is no more than a cumulative ~60-90 seconds over the course of an entire 1-2hr dining visit. My plan is 0-10% for normal/friendly service, and up to 20% for great service (or a lot more on a tiny bill), special requests, etc. I'll happily tip generously if something beyond the absolute bare minimum is done, but that is VERY rare, almost non-existent, in Alberta restaurants. The automatic 20% tip expectation and O&G expense accounts have been around for so long that almost everyone wants to just coast along on the minimum possible work.

If any servers are complaining about people lowering their tips, maybe they should be increasing their effort / level of service up from "I'm here because I have to be". Or if the restaurant is screwing them over, do what everyone else does when they don't like their employer and find a new one. I think most people are happy to tip and tip well if the server, kitchen, or establishment goes out of their way to make their experience better - I certainly am. For example if I am out with my grandma and she makes a ridiculous food customization request, I am leaving a big tip if it's accommodated. If they are just going to do the bare minimum their job requires - take order, bring drinks, make food, deliver food, clear plates, etc. - they should be expecting 0% by default regardless of the tipping environment. It's one of the very few jobs I can think of where expecting to be paid extra for doing the minimum is expected.
    To top this off... I was in a restaurant the other night and they damn waitstaff were using ipads to take orders! Like c'mon 90% of your job is now automated for you.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Went to Teatro for my bday - service was fantastic throughout.

Emerald Lake Lodge the other weekend...saw some lady get hit in the head from across the room with a champagne cork.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    X3

Hope the lady responded with an uppercut.

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by Justing View Post
    Hope the lady responded with an uppercut.

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    To top this off... I was in a restaurant the other night and they damn waitstaff were using ipads to take orders! Like c'mon 90% of your job is now automated for you.
    So much better than this trend of taking orders by memory. Are they trying to cut the cost of notepads? It's not impressive to be the 1in10 that gets the order right the first time.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by syscal View Post
    So much better than this trend of taking orders by memory. Are they trying to cut the cost of notepads? It's not impressive to be the 1in10 that gets the order right the first time.
    Sure, but if your going to make a wait staffs job that much easier and take away one of their key skills... I see no point in tipping at all unless the service is spot-on and exceptional.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    Sure, but if your going to make a wait staffs job that much easier and take away one of their key skills... I see no point in tipping at all unless the service is spot-on and exceptional.
    The ipad trend is just to be trendy. The system costs way more than a notepad.

Unless you go to one of those ipad on every desk type restaurant where the eliminated wait staff.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post

Unless you go to one of those ipad on every desk type restaurant where the eliminated wait staff.
    haha this was Jack Astors.. nothing trendy about that place.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post

Saw this a lot in Japan - my absolute favorite way to order. Spend as long as I want browsing, and just tap the things I want when I want them. 1-2 minutes later it arrives at the table, no tip expected. Phenomenal.

--------

The biggest thing for me is that simply doing your job doesn't warrant a tip when you're already getting paid well for said job. Their job is to take the order (and not screw it up), check if the food is OK, and bring me the bill. Some other member of the staff typically delivers the food and drinks. The ways in which they can go above and beyond what they are supposed to provide as a minimum are limited unless the customer has special requests. At the end of a meal, if they provided the expected level of service and didn't screw anything up, why is another 20% expected?

I am reminded of a story my old boss told me about dinning in New York. They had a super expensive meal, expensive wine, etc. at a really fancy place. They tipped 15%. The restaurant manager ran out after them and caught them on the street, very concerned, asking them why they were so unhappy. They said nothing was wrong at all and the manager then got upset that the tip wasn't significantly larger.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 10-03-2018 at 02:48 PM.

My Ride
    NC1

My Ride
    Z

One thing I hate that we have in Alberta is that when the wait staff leaves, they expect everyone to pay even if they're staying. The establishment is serving us and you're supposed to be a team. The hassle of paying twice is very off-putting to me. All I can say is it wouldn't happen in Japan
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

Quote Originally Posted by g-m View Post
    One thing I hate that we have in Alberta is that when the wait staff leaves, they expect everyone to pay even if they're staying. The establishment is serving us and you're supposed to be a team. The hassle of paying twice is very off-putting to me. All I can say is it wouldn't happen in Japan
    Where did you eat where this happened to you? I just get switched to different wait staff.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast