Quantcast
The origins of racism? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The origins of racism?

My Ride
    370Z duhh

Default The origins of racism?

I'm posing this question to those that have considered this topic before. I never have until someone I know told me that racism all started with Western civilization.

Now I've always just assumed that racism has existed throughout every single civilization in history. But I can't really think of any examples right now. This person explained that the Western civilization is actually the first that strived to colonize other places with other races of people and thus it began...

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

The Jews have never had a good day, and they go way back before western civilization.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Your friend sounds racist. Check out the Yayoi period of Japan. Lots of invading going on.

It just became more prolific in western society because of the sea faring and weapon technological advances that allowed larger movement of troops.

My Ride
    370Z duhh

Quote Originally Posted by SKR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Jews have never had a good day, and they go way back before western civilization.
    That was the example I used. I'm sure there's plenty of examples in the Bible alone.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Your friend sounds racist. Check out the Yayoi period of Japan. Lots of invading going on.

It just became more prolific in western society because of the sea faring and weapon technological advances that allowed larger movement of troops.
    It does sound ridiculous doesn't it... basically saying only white people are responsible for racism and that we invented it.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Your friend is whatever the current socially acceptable word for retard would be. You should likely kick him square in the balls.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 03:34 PM.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Your friend needs to read history from other cultures and civilizations and expand their points of reference (I'd recommend the caste system in India in particular). In particular they need to take holidays other than going to a resort. lol

Humans as a species will discriminate. its how we survive by sticking to the groups and habits that we know.
    Over time we have developed different tools (i.e psychological, institutional etc) to get out of that, but it still remains.
    If your friend did a objective comparative analysis. They will find there is waayy more racism and discrimination in the black and east Indian community.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Paying the white tax while travelling some places in Africa was hilarious.

Also being called Mzungu everywhere LOL
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    Humans as a species will discriminate. its how we survive by sticking to the groups and habits that we know.
    Agreed, I'm sure racism predates anything that has ever been recorded. When did it shift from instinctual to hateful might be the better question.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by 370Z View Post
    I'm posing this question to those that have considered this topic before. I never have until someone I know told me that racism all started with Western civilization.

Now I've always just assumed that racism has existed throughout every single civilization in history. But I can't really think of any examples right now. This person explained that the Western civilization is actually the first that strived to colonize other places with other races of people and thus it began...
    LOL.... you should get a better definition of what 'racism' really means from your friend. So many clowns just throw it around.

prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.
    .... and then you will discover that this has been going on for thousands of years.

Racism probably originated from Tribalism when small groups of people banded together to protect their resources from other small groups of people and you either lived or died based on how well you protected those resources. I think it is not a stretch to think that you would hate any group trying to take what you considered to be yours. As groups grew and settlements, then countries grew and developed, the need to protect what you have or lose it did not change, only now you have larger groups hating larger groups. Then one day someone labelled that hate as racism and society never looked back.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by 370Z View Post
    Wrong. And your friend need to brush up on history.

As long as there was humans, there was humans hating other humans. It's just easier to label when skin color is involved.

Here's an example of racism in China, toward their own and foreigners.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_issues_in_China
    Last edited by Xtrema; 01-18-2019 at 03:26 PM.

My Ride
    *The First*

It's so ridiculous to blame Western Civilization for racism and yet so typical.
    I'm sure some scholar has tried to make this point but I assume it stems from pre judgement being a necessary trait for human survival. You need to size someone up at a distance to assess if they're a threat. Size someone up is prejudging which is prejudice. We're programmed to think different is bad. Look at toddlers actively picking on kids with glasses or fat kids. Their parents aren't instructing them to do that. It's not learned behavior. If I wander away from my cave (15,000 years ago) and come across someone who looks way the hell different from me, I'm going into fight/flight mode because this new person is obviously from outside my familiar group. I can tell from a distance and that helps me get ready to make sure they don't kill me or take my stuff or kill my friends.
    Fast forward to now and the natural instinct is still to size people up but it makes little sense to perceive someone from another ethnic group as a legit threat. Still if you see a dude with a twisty moustache vaping in skinny jeans you know he's driving a Subaru to go drink terrible West Coast hoppy beer and complain about not being the boss at work. He's a millennial hipster douchebag according to your prejudgment and it's still an important skill so you can avoid talking to him.
    That doesn't make racism ok obviously. But I think a lot of people have trouble blocking that reaction.

My Ride
    NC1

It's simpler to just hate everyone
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    It's simpler to just hate everyone
    Exactly... I am not racist, sexist, prejudiced or bigoted... I hate every asshole equally! You are good to me I am good to you.

My Ride
    Trucks

Every animal on the planet is racist. So I guess that is the origin, genetic coding to survive. Higher intelligence ones can choose to not act on their instinct.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 03:33 PM.

My Ride
    Ford F150

Adam and Eve started racism, obviously.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by CompletelyNumb View Post
    Adam and Eve started racism, obviously.
    Yes, obviously. Two snow-white people from what is essentially Baghdad, a couple thousand years ago.

Black Jeebus.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast