Quantcast
Speeding tickets in Calgary construction zones up more than 1300% - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Speeding tickets in Calgary construction zones up more than 1300%

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

Quote Originally Posted by blueToy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's fucking crazy!! If no one is dying every year, we should remove the slow downs until at least a few of the dummies get maimed or die. Why the fuck should the lives a few uneducated morans dictate me speeding mere feet from their lives? And, whats with the concrete barriers between my lifted RAM and them working? They could scratch my rims if I hit them for fuck sakes. And don't get me started on flag people . They deserve to be hit too, trying to tell me to slow down or stop for their stupid road construction. Don't they know I got a chip and new exhaust on my Diesel and make almost 1000ftlb of torque? And I'm badazz! i don't even have mudflaps! And with my next paycheck ( fuck child support ) I'm getting stickers! you know, grenade and a few skulls and a So Scared! I love to roll coal on their sorry azzes too.
    personal responsibility is overrated. Lets nanny state this shit up to protect people from common sense.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

Quote Originally Posted by Thaco View Post
    people get killed every year because of water... i don't see them banning that.... there are bigger fish to fry, this is a moneygrab... nothing more, if they gave a shit about safety there were be a photo radar box at every construction site and signage to inform motorists so they'd either slow the fuck down or avoid the area.... but there isn't, they hide in the shadows when there's no danger to anybody
    Well that's a poor analogy. And they do put up signage... with guess what? A 'speed limit' sign! Wow what a crazy concept! I think that's something they teach at driving school no? And to top it off they usually with signage up the road that has a 'heads up speed limit is dropping ahead to ___' sign! Seems crazy to me

If people get caught by these easily-seen photo radar vehicles and obvious signage then they deserve to pay the bad driver tax. I'd rather that than an increase in property taxes.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Swank View Post
    I appreciate the lower speed limit in places where the lanes are now narrower due to barriers, signage, the big fat pylons, new lane markings, changes in traffic flows etc. Even when workers aren't present, all of those factors can make for a dicey situation at higher speeds especially if you haven't driven that road since all of the work has begun and a lot has changed. If it's part of your regular commute and you've mastered it then sure, it can be frustrating, but at full speed would you really want to be there with a poorly skilled driver ready to careen into you? The merge onto WB Glenmore from Crowchild is significantly shorter now with the contruction, it borders on needing to be a yield but FML that would suck too. Between people not leaving a gap and those serious ass hats going from the left lane to the right exactly where the merge happens it would be a car flipping stunt show every day at 80+ km/h.

That being said, I fully agree that there are plenty, in fact the majority, of construction zones where the speed and length are overkill. I just follow the limit start to finish in the right lane and watch the BMWs and trucks go flying by as they race to the strobe light.
    There you have it. I don't disagree that some are overkill, but I sure as hell love seeing the idiots who ignore them get nailed by the strobes. All that to save 20 seconds in their obviously important commutes

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

Quote Originally Posted by OTown View Post
    Well that's a poor analogy. And they do put up signage... with guess what? A 'speed limit' sign! Wow what a crazy concept! I think that's something they teach at driving school no? And to top it off they usually with signage up the road that has a 'heads up speed limit is dropping ahead to ___' sign! Seems crazy to me

If people get caught by these easily-seen photo radar vehicles and obvious signage then they deserve to pay the bad driver tax. I'd rather that than an increase in property taxes.
    because clearly puttign up speed limit signs and teaching people to obey it when they get their license is doing the job, yep, no point in creating additional deterrents, nope, lets just lower the speed limits even more, that'll definitely fix it.
    User title molested by Rage2.

It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

Wrong thread. Moved to 30kph thread.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by speedog; 09-06-2018 at 07:40 AM.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

There you have it. I don't disagree that some are overkill, but I sure as hell love seeing the idiots who ignore them get nailed by the strobes. All that to save 20 seconds in their obviously important commutes
    The problem are zones where they’re overkill and the other drivers aren’t adhering to the limits. If you’re driving the limit on your own, the speed differentials against other cars are huge, and you become a slow moving roadblock and add significant safety risks to everyone on the road. You literally need to risk a ticket to be safe.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    changes daily :D

The problem are zones where they’re overkill and the other drivers aren’t adhering to the limits. If you’re driving the limit on your own, the speed differentials against other cars are huge, and you become a slow moving roadblock and add significant safety risks to everyone on the road. You literally need to risk a ticket to be safe.
    This!!!! I've tried to slow down to the speed limit (deerfoot north by 17th) and be in the right lane and i am still the slowest moving hazard on the road, especially with the curves on deerfoot you have people still going 110-120 through the whole zone whipping around you like your standing still, or people riding your ass close enough that they can see what radio station you're listening to......

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by infamous View Post
    This!!!! I've tried to slow down to the speed limit (deerfoot north by 17th) and be in the right lane and i am still the slowest moving hazard on the road, especially with the curves on deerfoot you have people still going 110-120 through the whole zone whipping around you like your standing still, or people riding your ass close enough that they can see what radio station you're listening to......
    Even on crowchild driving 80 while everyone is doing 100 is sketch as fuck with a 20kmh differential. Don’t even want to know what it’s like on deerfoot with a 70kmh differential. Sounds suicidal.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

"To serve and collect." Photo radar is 100% about the $$$ and has nothing to do with construction worker safety.

Construction zones in this City are infuriating so its not shocking that people don't slow down when no workers are present. Its 50 at midnight when you're the only car on the road and nobody is working and its 50 when there are workers setting up forms on the shoulder in the middle of the day. What fucking gives? I actually slowed down to 40ish in the Crowchild construction the other day because the guys were working so close to the road there was a legit danger to them.

Its craziness. Not to mention all the shitty signage and very few 'end of construction zone' signs. The average (ie:dumb) driver is doomed to get photo radar tickets.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

I took young drivers of Canada for my training... they actually didn’t teach us to obey the speed limit. They taught us to drive with the flow of traffic, cause it’s the speed differential thats dangerous. That’s just science... speed limit signs are like religion, no actual logic besides “that’s the rules”. This day and age I would hope our our society is advanced enough to know the difference

My Ride
    '05 Subaru LGT wagon (5MT)

I drive 22x west of the city every morning. When the Stoney west leg construction started they dropped the speed limit from 90 to 70 (and it is signed as a construction zone), including areas where there is no construction anywhere near the road. This carries on for 8-km west of Sheriff King St. where there is not, and has not been, any active construction on the westbound lanes and one by-pass lane (eastbound) was constructed and completed before last winter, from 37 St. to 24 St. Even the access to the construction is not off of 22x west of Sheriff King, it is off of Sheriff King, 24th St. (which was closed specifically to be converted to construction access) and the median between the east and west bound lanes on 53rd St.

For anybody not familiar with this area, the typical median width is 65-m and increases to 220-m east of 24 St. Even when there is active construction in the median it is almost impossible for a vehicle to make it within the stripped and fenced area due to the bar ditches and even if they could cross the bar ditches they would never make it over the stripped ground at a dangerous speed.

I noticed with back to school, people are speeding up to 90 once they pass 37 St even though the 70 construction zone continues 3.2-km past 37 St. (again, with no construction proceeding alongside that stretch for almost a year). RCMP and CPS patrol this area frequently, enforcing a limit that is completely unrelated to any construction in the past 10 months. That is frustrating as it is highway driving, or should be.

Post a sign warning people of a speed trap up ahead = everyone slows down and the workers are safer

Hide photo radar, let people speed all day long past the workers, who cares if they get hit = profit!

My Ride

Yep I don't disagree with that. But that's also out of your control.

Unless people learn that they have to slow down for a few minutes (whether via enforcement photo radar for monetary fine or cops on the ground with fines demerits and increasing insurance rates) then we will never see that change.

TLDR of this thread: where people bitch that people drive so fast that they themselves can't safely drive at a lower speed, or where people bitch that a construction zone shouldn't have to slow their very very important commute for a few minutes. Basically a shame if the city/cops enforce it, shame if they don't.

Don’t know if it was mentioned but Calgary road crews absolutely fucking suck at posting proper signage. Conflicting speed signs all the time, missing the end of construction all the time, bad marking of lanes, the list goes on.

I get frustrated, I’m doing the construction speed limit looking for the end and there isn’t one. Now I’m in the habit of the last cone or flagging I just go right back to the normal speed limit regardless. It’s utterly moronic that they can’t even sign the basics properly
    Last edited by J-hop; 09-06-2018 at 10:48 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

TLDR of this thread: where people bitch that people drive so fast that they themselves can't safely drive at a lower speed, or where people bitch that a construction zone shouldn't have to slow their very very important commute for a few minutes. Basically a shame if the city/cops enforce it, shame if they don't.
    Well enforcing does nothing though. That Crowchild photo radar flashes in the morning like the paparazzi for the entire summer. I posted a thread about it. People are always going to drive to the conditions. It’s human nature. You don’t see people speeding over Crowchild across bow river with no workers because it’s a tight lane jog. You don’t see people speed through construction zones with workers working because we’re (mostly) considerate and aware. People are going to speed through empty ass construction zones with absolutely no impediment to their lanes. Don’t use that as an opportunity to enforce under the guise of safety.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

This thread came to mind last night on my way home. Around 9:00 PM heading Southbound on Deerfoot and a bit before Douglasdale the limit drops to 50 KM/H, runs for a while, then a short zone to 70 KM/H and then finally between Barlow & 130th it goes back up to 100 KM/H. Not a single construction anything going on, just a few cones up against the center barriers (on the shoulder). No workers, no equipment, no open work of any kind, just a giant mess for traffic for no goddamn reason.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Quote Originally Posted by masked bandit View Post
    this thread came to mind last night on my way home. Around 9:00 pm heading southbound on deerfoot and a bit before douglasdale the limit drops to 50 km/h, runs for a while, then a short zone to 70 km/h and then finally between barlow & 130th it goes back up to 100 km/h. Not a single construction anything going on, just a few cones up against the center barriers (on the shoulder). No workers, no equipment, no open work of any kind, just a giant mess for traffic for no goddamn reason.
    But, it was safe!!.....
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    This thread came to mind last night on my way home. Around 9:00 PM heading Southbound on Deerfoot and a bit before Douglasdale the limit drops to 50 KM/H, runs for a while, then a short zone to 70 KM/H and then finally between Barlow & 130th it goes back up to 100 KM/H. Not a single construction anything going on, just a few cones up against the center barriers (on the shoulder). No workers, no equipment, no open work of any kind, just a giant mess for traffic for no goddamn reason.
    Those rock chips though! Might kill someone.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    Those rock chips though! Might kill someone.
    Yea! Think of the panhandlers who are walking their way into the burbs via deerfoot?

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Quote Originally Posted by EK 2.0 View Post
    But, it was safe!!.....
    Hell ya it was safe, but it would have been safer if we all parked our cars and walked!
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast