I've searched a few different websites and forums, but not having much luck with my particular issue:

- vehicle is 2013 Ford Escape
- both key fobs no longer lock/unlock the vehicle
- new batteries have been tried in both fobs, but that has not fixed the problem. Have tried a couple of different brands of new batteries, just in case.
- vehicle does not have remote start capabilities
- vehicle does not have push-to-start button (key must be used to start the vehicle)
- rocker switches on the driver's door and passenger's door operate as intended, so it is not a case of faulty door lock motors/actuators
- when trying to reprogram the fobs, i.e. the "key to 'run' position 8 times in 8 seconds" (and also the 4 times and 5 times suggestions), it does not chime and/or the locks do not cycle to indicate it has entered programming mode
- other forums suggest unplugging the Siemens control lock alarm box under the driver's side dash, but I cannot find that box anywhere (post #23 https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/f...g.44797/page-2)

The vehicle is no longer covered under warranty, so short of dropping many $$$$ at a Ford dealer to diagnose and repair, what plan of action should I take?

N.B.: this is the girlfriend's car, and although she says she doesn't mind having to use the key to unlock the door, it annoys the hell out of me to have a piece of equipment that doesn't work properly.