Quantcast
did house insurance premium went up this year? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: did house insurance premium went up this year?

Default did house insurance premium went up this year?

ok guys, what are you paying for house insurance?
    mine went up quite a bit, its a new house, and im paying 1800/yr..seems high

My Ride
    Silverado

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 275
Size:  745.8 KB

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

$1039

Older house. 2000 build. 2 story. 1500 Sq Feet. Front Attached Garage. New Hot Water Tank
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Blue boy

`$1200 for an older 1100 sq/ft house. Went up slightly from last year
    Last edited by G-ZUS; 09-06-2018 at 09:24 AM.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by rach View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ok guys, what are you paying for house insurance?
    It would be better just to call around and get quotes, or ask your neighbors. Different neighborhoods, different house styles, distances from emergency services, etc. etc. All of these come into play with house insurance, so asking on Beyond isn't going to get you any useful comparisons.

Like Tik Tok said there are alot of factors on the price. To me $1800/year does seem high when I am paying less then $900.00/year. I live in a typical outskirts community, no claims, 3000/sq ft home.

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

Yes, went up big time last few year ...

How come you guy house insurance is so cheap? what kind of coverage? or I got ripped off my TD .. *_*
    The Original !

1234567, ¦h³Ò¦h±o

Quote Originally Posted by C4S View Post
    Yes, went up big time last few year ...

How come you guy house insurance is so cheap? what kind of coverage? or I got ripped off my TD .. *_*
    I was with TDMM for many years with no claims/issues. Each year I kept getting hit with large increases so it was time to switch because they said they couldn't do anything about it (of course they called after I cancelled to offer me better rates). Send me a PM and I can give you the contact info for my new agent.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    It would be better just to call around and get quotes, or ask your neighbors. Different neighborhoods, different house styles, distances from emergency services, etc. etc. All of these come into play with house insurance, so asking on Beyond isn't going to get you any useful comparisons.
    Very true. Very close proximity to a Fire Station, and Police Station
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

im with intact BTW...and i think i will ask around and compare..

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Yep hard to compare. We are paying $1500/year, but $400 of that is for sewage only because our neighbourhood I guess is very high risk for sewage backup. Half the insurance companies won't ever offer sewage backup and the other half charges a huge premium for it. Did not have this problem with our old house, which was like 3 mins drive away, one neighbourhood to the South.

My Ride
    3.5L 7th Gen Accord

I am at around $1,625. Main reason for it being so high is due to the community I am in, it is more susceptible to wind damage and hail storms (or so they say). I am sure it will go up even more after this year's hail storms.

Quote Originally Posted by rach View Post
    im with intact BTW...and i think i will ask around and compare..
    Yes, Intact had big increases to insurance premiums, I believe there was a mandated 8% increase in premiums by the government and then on top of that they had their own increase. So wouldn't surprise me if they went up 20-25%. Hence why we aren't with Intact any more.
    Last edited by triplep; 09-06-2018 at 11:57 AM.

My Ride
    2018 Audi RS3

Mine went up 12% over last year, no claims.
    My broker told be it's because a couple of new clauses were added as a blanket to all Aviva homes (increased over land flooding coverage and in the event a city utility leaks on your property and needs to be dug up it's covered - forget the name of that one).

I did ask him to shop us around to be sure, and Aviva were still the cheapest.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Couple years ago my parents' place had a faucet leak that made its way to the basement. We opened a claim but after appraisal, damage was only $1800 and deductible was $1000 so the payout would have only been $800 at most.

We closed the claim without going through with it and paid out of pocket but now that they've increased our premiums twice in a row, my dad is thinking about reopening the claim and just taking the $800 if they're going to be increasing his premiums anyway.

That said, I told him that he can get the $800 now but they're planning on selling the house and if they get another home policy, premiums will be higher so it's really a lose-lose situation for him.

Any thoughts about this?

My Ride
    Silver 12 sec Sedan

Currently paying $82.40 a month for a 1050sq.ft bungalow w/developed basement and detached garage in Acadia. I have an inground pool, which TD and The Personal said they could not insure, I also had a $15,000 claim a couple years ago when a water line broke and flooded my basement while I was away.

My Ride
    TDi

Quote Originally Posted by nickyh View Post
    Mine went up 12% over last year, no claims.
    My broker told be it's because a couple of new clauses were added as a blanket to all Aviva homes (increased over land flooding coverage and in the event a city utility leaks on your property and needs to be dug up it's covered - forget the name of that one).

I did ask him to shop us around to be sure, and Aviva were still the cheapest.
    Mind PMing me your Aviva rep? I was with a broker before, but they dropped Aviva.. Currently shopping around
    GO FLAMES GO!