Quantcast
What's more helpful? Necro-bump or new thread? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: What's more helpful? Necro-bump or new thread?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default What's more helpful? Necro-bump or new thread?

If there's an old thread of the same topic as one you'd like to discuss, what's your personal rule to decide if you should post in the old thread or start a new one?

How old is too old? One year? Five years?

Some topics don't change much over time, so I like to post in older threads, but I know others have different ideas.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

gonna depend on the situation, but i say new thread, old stuff is almost never 100% accurate to what you're discussing, and if it is, it's likely already been addressed in the old thread and there's no need to bump it.

(age limit, i'd say also depends on situation, some topics age faster and become irrelevant faster than others, no point makign people scroll through dozens of old and useless posts to find the useful/current stuff)
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

Quote Originally Posted by Thaco View Post
    gonna depend on the situation, but i say new thread, old stuff is almost never 100% accurate to what you're discussing, and if it is, it's likely already been addressed in the old thread and there's no need to bump it.

(age limit, i'd say also depends on situation, some topics age faster and become irrelevant faster than others, no point makign people scroll through dozens of old and useless posts to find the useful/current stuff)
    This, I bumped an existing C8 thread to post up recent information on the upcoming mid-engined Corvette as opposed to creating a new thread. I felt keeping the new information in an existing thread allowed one to see the progression of the car to where it s now.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

I like to bump old threads because it's fun to watch people respond to things from seven years ago like it was said today.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

It depends on the circumstances and whether or not it's relevant to the thread.

I don't mind necro bumps if it's relevant, ie: recent developments on old/ongoing news. It's annoying when people bump threads when the latest post has nothing to do with the thread or they think they're responding to something recent. I've seen people bump up 15 year old threads about new releases of a car just to ask something dumb like how to change something on it or where to buy parts.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Quote Originally Posted by SKR View Post
    I like to bump old threads because it's fun to watch people respond to things from seven years ago like it was said today.
    A guilty pleasure for sure - some old threads are pretty entertaining though and I would have never seen them without a necro-bump.

As others have said, reading through old threads of the same topic to see if the post you'd be adding is relevant is the key here.

I think the 'Similar Threads' section results in a lot of necro-bumps, I've come damn close to doing it a couple of times after venturing into that area.

I think if it's several years old, you need a new thread to get any sort of traffic in it. If people see an existing 10 page thread from 5 years ago with a new reply, they are less likely to get involved if it requires reading previous conversation. Under a year or so though I'd say a bump is good. Just my thoughts.

I think the Necro bumps are better for news items (i.e. follow up on a court case /conviction that can be a year ++ after the original story) but for advice and such sometimes new threads are better if it's been a super long time.

My Ride
    Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by kenny View Post
    The search settings on the forums have changed, or rather, the default search settings have been changed. Searches by default now only look for posts within the last 3 months to hopefully reduce dead threads from being revived. The new default will now search the thread title only as opposed to going through all posts.

These changes should return more accurate and relevant results, provided people are naming their threads properly (now you know why we've been pushing for this, especially in the marketplace).

Searches MIGHT take a bit longer... havent fully tested it yet.

Oh, and before anyone asks, yes, if you want to you can still change it to have it search through all posts since the forums started. I am just changing the default search parameters.

As always, comments are not only welcome, but encouraged.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weapon_R View Post
    That blatant fact was that the 3 month (search) default is designed to help stop people from bumping 5 year old threads when doing a search

Can't win em all -> Make the default unlimited, and ppl bump up old threads. Make it 3 months, and reposts pop up
    I always thought that relevant threads should be continued but I guess that is not the base.