Quantcast
Tesla Model 3 Track Mode - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesla Model 3 Track Mode

Default Tesla Model 3 Track Mode

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 02:31 PM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Well the first big flaw I see in that skid pad number is the tires, those are the same ones my wife has on her Crossover... not exactly symbolic of peak performance. Real tires should help that number a ton.

Odd they tested on those considering the car comes with PS4S in other trims already regardless of “track mode”.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Agree the performance potential of electric cars is pretty big, and just like ICE vehicles, the image of racing sells to a wide number of demographics.

Would be cool to see a "spec/formula" series with the model 3. I'd watch that shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

My mind will be blown if Sugar buys a model 3 performance for autox. I don’t think that could be topped.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    The second, and more important is that the main reason Nissan has a Micra Cup and not a GTR Cup is because it is affordable. The model 3 isn't cheap to have it's own spec series IMO.
    https://www.micracup.com/Micra-Cup-Nissan-Car.
    There's been several spec series with "expensive" cars. Porches for example.

The other objections hold however. You'd need some in-pit charging infrastructure at least.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    Haha, I don't think that will happen anytime soon. I still have a real problem with the vehicle quality, short range, over the top price, and lack of company stability long term... never mind the fact that the model 3 has no pedigree other than a quick 0-60 time yet.

If they can sort all of those problems out, I might be interested in one

I wouldn't mind getting a vehicle that doesn't use gas in the future just because I don't drive that much daily anymore. I am leaning towards hydrogen over battery power. Hyundai's "N" decision is apparently looking at doing a hydrogen performance vehicle:
    https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/hyu...rformance-cars

Not to detract from this thread, I am keenly interested in how this Track Mode is going to perform in the real world
    I would expect that hydrogen would be a very clean fuel from source to it's end use and the final by products when it's all used up. Gasoline and diesel, yupp dirty at the start and dirty at the end. Same goes for EV's, dirty in the production of the batteries and also much of the electricity used and dirty in the end what with spent battery packs or EV's that are scrapped because of the high cost of replacing said depleted battery pack.

Hydrogen, I don't know much about where it's sourced from, probably water with large amounts of electricity being used to crack the water molecule. Also, what is needed for storage in a hydrogen powered vehicle - is it a dirty process to build a on-board vehicle based hydrogen based storage system?
    Will fuck off, again.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 02:30 PM.

My Ride
    Model S

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    My mind will be blown if Sugar buys a model 3 performance for autox. I don’t think that could be topped.
    I’m already amazed he made a Tesla thread that isn’t completely shitting on them. Did his account get hacked?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Hydrogen, I don't know much about where it's sourced from, probably water with large amounts of electricity being used to crack the water molecule. Also, what is needed for storage in a hydrogen powered vehicle - is it a dirty process to build a on-board vehicle based hydrogen based storage system?
    Yes, massive amounts of energy are used to make hydrogen from either water (seawater being common) or from natural gas. If you can have "clean" electricity as the input, then the whole end-to-end system is very clean. If you are using coal or oil, well then, that changes things a bit.

Really the cleanest thing would be a nuclear power plant on the ocean cracking sea water into hydrogen. Vancouver would be a natural location for that setup, and a good market for the product. Win-win

A not so bad read from 2009 comparing the various types of energy systems used to power a vehicle - https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/fi...attery_evs.pdf.
    Will fuck off, again.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 02:30 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Some numbers: https://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesl...k-test-review/

So it's unmatched off the line, so it's got a huge 0-60 and 1/4 mile ET advantage. Trap speed shows it runs out of steam up top, and even with the stickiest of street tires, doesn't have the most lateral grip.

Wonder what Tesla specs out for tire width, because if they were smart and spec'd out the widest wheel possible for the skinny tires, one could put some wide rubber on the car and really be AutoX friendly.

Numbers for those that don't know how to read.

0-60: 3.2s
    1/4 Mile: [email protected]
    Skidpad : 0.94g
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    A not so bad read from 2009 comparing the various types of energy systems used to power a vehicle - https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/fi...attery_evs.pdf.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Test drove the Model 3 Performance today. Fun little car as expected. Tons of power under 100km/h, drop off starts from 100km/h+, instant response, @Mibz was getting pissed off at me randomly slamming on the throttle and thus slamming his head into the headrest.

Lateral grip is definitely not where it needs to be, but I firmly believe that's because of how under tired the car is. 235's all around isn't going to have the most lateral grip. It was a colder day today, but from seat of the pants, my RC-F which weighs similar had more outright grip. Throw some wider tires on her and it'd be pretty awesome.

Took it to the limit around some corners, great turn in, reminded me a lot of the GT-R and it's magic traction controlled turn-in. Handles the weight well and settles into the turn quickly. Fronts give up first at the limit, gradual and predictable. Transitions are terrible, the car gets upset instantly transitioning from left to right, but that's the same with every heavy car, and you can't hide that. No track mode yet, so was forced to deal with the stability system, which wasn't very intrusive. Suspension is comfortable. Online comments have some bitching about how stiff the car is, they've clearly never driven a stiffly suspended car. It's sporty, nothing jarring about it at all. Pretty ideal suspension setup for a DD (maybe not for passengers).

Definitely much closer to my ideal value/bang for the buck. I'm still not sold on the interior, terrible seats, bland, minimalist but looks cheap minimalist and not trendy minimalist. To be fair, it is something you quickly forget about when you're driving the car hard. It's just that it's all around you when you're DD'ing the car, and paying $105k for that is something I'd have to get over. Cut $20k off the price and take my money. $85k, I'd be ordering one up. IIRC I had the P100D needing a $70k price reduction for me to buy one, so the Model 3 is definitely getting closer to my ideal bang for the buck. If it was 10 years ago when I only cared about driving experience, I would buy this over the C63S/M3 for sure. It's roughly the same price as both cars today.

I'll let @Mibz chime in on his experience.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Pricing is pretty much the same, loaded C63S sedan vs Model 3 Performance. I would still choose the C63S today purely for interior aesthetics.

Money aside, I highly doubt you would pick ICE over EV if you drove any Performance Tesla.

No clue on range. Didn’t check.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

But but but exhaust burbles....

Sounds like an interesting car, but it would take a lot for me to get over how ugly they are (cant stand either the 3 or the S, and don’t get me started on the S).

Hopefully the Porsche is comparable.

One thing to note is the C63S is also disappointingly undertired as well, is the 3 better or worse in this regard? The lack of grip is pretty much all I can think about when driving it and is the biggest disappointment of the car so no interest in another undertired car.
    Last edited by killramos; 09-13-2018 at 12:08 PM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast