Quantcast
polling device on another router within the same network - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: polling device on another router within the same network

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Default polling device on another router within the same network

Probably something really easy for people who know what they're doing (which is a few of you around here) but I just set this up and can't figure out one thing. I've built a system that does this:

[ISP] -> [ISP Modem] -> [Hardwired Devices] (computers, HA stuff, Wireless router] -> [Wireless router] -> [wireless devices]

I have quite a few HA routines and other things that ping between my wireless devices to my hardwired devices. It would take re-wiring and relocating a bunch of stuff to get them fed through the same router. I suspect it is an issue with the routing table, as I can send one command to the wireless router table, but once it leaves there it isn't clear it knows where to go.

What am I missing here? Is it a subnet issue? Is this something I can solve with simple forwarding?
    Cos...

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Your wireless router is likely set up wrong. You don’t want it to act as a router but rather as an access point. Right now you basically have two separate networks. Google the term ‘double NAT’

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Your wireless router is likely set up wrong. You don’t want it to act as a router but rather as an access point. Right now you basically have two separate networks. Google the term ‘double NAT’
    OK, so I wasn't totally clear actually and it is probably even more complicated than I made it. I have port 1 bridged on my ISP box, so I don't think I have a double NAT situation (after looking into it), but now I am thinking I don't know if they'll be able to see each other at all since the only 'common' piece is the modem. Even though the router is in the same 'box'.
    Cos...

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

So confused...even more so after your second reply.

So you have a standalone modem...or is it a modem/router combo from ISP?

If it's a modem/router combo from ISP, and you have it in brigde mode, than you should only plugin your second wireless router directly into the ISP modem/router combo, and all other devices would plug into your own wireless router. Technically if you are plugging in other devices into the ISP router/modem, they should be pulling public IPs are wouldn't be able to talk to each other. Only after you put all your devices onto your own router will they be able to communicate together.

You should draw and post a picture, till then it's all very confusing.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

You have it right on the second step, except the whole thing isn't in bridge mode just one port is Telus wont allow that apparently. I also need the wifi left on for my Optik wifi tx boxes. The reason I've left the switch connected to the modem is because everything is already wired and set up in the basement. The wifi is crap from down there, so I removed 1 cable from the switch cabinet, ran it into port 1, and installed my Wifi router into a better place. Picture is attached.

Cos...

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

plug your wifi router into the switch and it should work. you technically have two networks happening there. bridged ISP modems don't work like routers or switches.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

OK, if I do that then I'll be trying to duplicate networks then in my current config correct? So I just need to set the wifi router to disable NAT right because the modem / gateway will be the one handling it it all and the WIFI router will just become a wifi -> lan converter?

Any concerns on speed by doing this since I'll be running everything through one table?

Thanks for the help guys
    Last edited by The Cosworth; 09-09-2018 at 08:33 PM.
    Cos...

My Ride
    rally pig

like what others have said, you should only have one router, your ISP router in your case.

Lets say your subnet is 192.168.1.0/24 and the router 1.1.
    Set the Wifi router with a static IP of 1.5 and don't use its WAN port (ie Wifi router Port 1 to ISP router Port 1) and use it only for WiFi access-point.
    Disable DHCP on the Wifi router and let the ISP router only do the DHCP service.
    By not using the WAN port you are basically using only its LAN ports so all traffic will be internal and no NAT being used

You will want all your devices on the same subnet with same default-gateway 1.1 which will do all the routing

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    like what others have said, you should only have one router, your ISP router in your case.

Lets say your subnet is 192.168.1.0/24 and the router 1.1.
    Set the Wifi router with a static IP of 1.5 and don't use its WAN port (ie Wifi router Port 1 to ISP router Port 1) and use it only for WiFi access-point.
    Disable DHCP on the Wifi router and let the ISP router only do the DHCP service.
    By not using the WAN port you are basically using only its LAN ports so all traffic will be internal and no NAT being used

You will want all your devices on the same subnet with same default-gateway 1.1 which will do all the routing
    Gotcha, ok this is starting to ring some bells. Thanks
    Cos...

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by The Cosworth View Post
    Gotcha, ok this is starting to ring some bells. Thanks
    Your network setup is horrible confusing and quite simple to simplify.

Get the ISP modem to bridge so its only a modem.
    Plug the wireless router into the modem to get your IP
    Plug switch into wireless router to pull IP from wireless router
    Plug all hardwired devices to switch

This way the wireless router is in control of the IPs and the switch is doing what it needs.

Name:  network.png
Views: 297
Size:  6.4 KB

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    Your network setup is horrible confusing and quite simple to simplify.

Get the ISP modem to bridge so its only a modem.
    Plug the wireless router into the modem to get your IP
    Plug switch into wireless router to pull IP from wireless router
    Plug all hardwired devices to switch

This way the wireless router is in control of the IPs and the switch is doing what it needs.

Name:  network.png
Views: 297
Size:  6.4 KB
    Cant do that. ISP bridge and Switch are in the basement. Wireless is on another floor completely. The location that has a spot to run a CAT6 from a port back downstairs to the switch as well as allowing the ISP bridge port CAT6 has terrible interference. The best spot WIFI wise only has 1 line coming to it. So doing it Taemo's way is the best way. Got it all working, HA automations are all back and functioning, alarm system is seeing all the other devices I tied it to. Only issue now is that I cant access the interface to the wifi router although everything else seems to be functioning properly. Which I guess in a way might make sense because I turned off anyway for data to 'stop' at the router? Not sure. Another issue for another day I think.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    Last edited by The Cosworth; 09-09-2018 at 09:26 PM.
    Cos...

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Cant do that. ISP bridge and Switch are in the basement. Wireless is on another floor completely. The location that has a spot to run a CAT6 from a port back downstairs to the switch as well as allowing the ISP bridge port CAT6 has terrible interference.
    Run everything from the basement and setup a mesh wireless network in the home then.

Had that before. Caused a bunch of interference issues for some reason and ended up keeping single strength but not passing any data.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    is broken

Cant do that. ISP bridge and Switch are in the basement. Wireless is on another floor completely. The location that has a spot to run a CAT6 from a port back downstairs to the switch as well as allowing the ISP bridge port CAT6 has terrible interference.
    There is no way you were getting interference on a CAT6 cable unless its not actually CAT6, terminated poorly, or its run behind your microwave?

Either way. You need 1 router here. not two.

I would recommend putting the telus modem back in regular modem/router mode and use the routing functions of that. Then you can use the switch and wireless ap already in place.

I was getting interference with the mesh wifi setups due to the location near my microwave and other appliances. Nothing hardwired interference. And i think thats the same thing Taemo suggested and ive already implemented. Only issue now is access the wifi device itself has become a problem.
    Last edited by Cos; 09-09-2018 at 10:44 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Change your subnet mask.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

If you did everything that taemo said, you are most of the way there, I think taemo forgot to mention the fact that your port 1 that's in bridged mode on ISP shouldn't be in bridge mode any longer. Basically at the end of the day, the Telus box would be your only router, your other wireless router would be acting as an access point, and your switch would be an extension to the switch ports on your ISP router.

Here is a summary picture. It's your best bet with existing equipment and only a single cable to the upstairs.

Name:  Network.png
Views: 227
Size:  29.3 KB

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    If you did everything that taemo said, you are most of the way there, I think taemo forgot to mention the fact that your port 1 that's in bridged mode on ISP shouldn't be in bridge mode any longer. Basically at the end of the day, the Telus box would be your only router, your other wireless router would be acting as an access point, and your switch would be an extension to the switch ports on your ISP router.

Here is a summary picture. It's your best bet with existing equipment and only a single cable to the upstairs.

Name:  Network.png
Views: 227
Size:  29.3 KB
    Awesome thanks. I had it working but for some reason my telus router will not see the device. The mac address doesnt show in the LAN table and even with a static ip assigned by the telus device I cant ping it. No clue why. Think it might be an issue with the linksys router.
    Cos...

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I sent this in the email - but dont trust the ISP router for anything. I've consistently seen issues with both Telus and Shaw "routers" with trying to perform simple tasks.

Could be something as dumb as an OTA device update and suddenly everything you've built from a tech setup goes to crap.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

So after all that. Telus confirmed their latest update to T3200M broke quite a few things. One being the bridge mode...... oh well. Glad I figured it out. Refreshed a lot for me.

Thanks for everyones help.
    Cos...