Quantcast
2018-2019 Winter tire discussion - Page 10 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 20 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018-2019 Winter tire discussion

My Ride
    06 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I strongly disagree. Only 12k kms per year total, a set of winters would last OP 4 years of all season driving, except they'll actually work in the winter time vs no-seasons.
    All weathers are very different than All seasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    KTM

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Yea this - you want the tires to handle the WORST of the roads out there, not trade off for ideal conditions.
    Lots of large vehicle fleets use winter tires year round to avoid swapping back and forth. I know for a fact Bell Canada does this...... there are others. I ran our mini van on winters for over three years, year round, yes they wore down faster but wasnt terrible.

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    All weathers are very different than All seasons.
    From the data I have seen they are not much better then all seasons and no were as good as real winters...

Quote Originally Posted by redline View Post
    From the data I have seen they are not much better then all seasons and no were as good as real winters...
    All weather tires vary quite a bit in abilities from model to model. Some are quite a bit better than standard all seasons in severe winter conditions while others are only marginally better. The industry standard is a minimum 10% improvement over a benchmark all season tire (not sure how that can truly be quantified) but there are definitely differences from the bottom to the top. Like anything though, improvements in one area usually come at a sacrifice in another so it is not a product for everybody. If it suits you and your needs though, they may be a decent compromise.

I was/am quite skeptical of all weather tires but even I have to admit that there is a place for them in the market, but do not buy into the idea that the 3pms symbol is a good indicator that the tire is a great winter performer and make sure you critically assess all of a potential tires strengths and weaknesses before making a decision on what is right for you.
    Last edited by tirebob; 10-15-2018 at 07:47 AM.

My Ride
    4Runner

I have Continental DWS06 on my TSX, I usually run winter tires on all my cars but have not changed over yet for this one. Im very surprised on how it is handling on snow and ice from the previous snowfalls we have had. This is my first time with all weather tires, I was not slipping or sliding, handled well, no complaints. Im sure when we get heavier more consistent snowfalls it might not be up to par to the hakka studdeds i run on my cars but, i think i can deal with it as a part time daily driver.

My Ride
    an econo box

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    I strongly disagree. Only 12k kms per year total, a set of winters would last OP 4 years of all season driving, except they'll actually work in the winter time vs no-seasons.
    Yeah and I'm ok with faster tire wear running winters year round versus the inconvenience of having to swap tires twice a year. Especially with the surprise snowfalls we get in late Spring or early fall. Sure would have been nice to have winter tires a couple of weeks ago!

My Ride
    Honda Accord

Quote Originally Posted by bball2 View Post
    Hey guys,

First time I've shopped around for tires in quite a while, any recommendations for a good place to get some winter tires?

I stopped by Blaskin & Lane in the SE yesterday, was quoted:

$1700 for Bridgestone Blizzaks / Alloy Rims / Premium plan (which includes 1x free tire rotation every year for the life of the tires) for 235/45R18 sized tires

or $1300 for Bridgestone Blizzaks / Steel rims w/ hubcaps / Premium plan for 235/50R17 tires

Thoughts?
    Ended up getting a set of winter tires from Urban Expressions (tirebob on beyond), good price / great service, would recommend!
    Go Flames!

My Ride
    starts with a screwdriver...

Quote Originally Posted by redline View Post
    That is correct.

Not in Alberta anyways. To find a soft compound that wont aggressively wear in summer months while remaining elastic and pliable in -35 is just really not feasible here. You will get a little bit of everything, but a lot of nothing. Vancouver, west coast maybe but here in the prairie regions, all weather is not suited. If safety and traction is important to you, you need a winter tire.
    I MAKE BALLER CARS MORE BALLER.....

I ran Nokian Rotiiva all weathers on my old Grand Cherokee and loved them. They wore a little quicker than I would've liked but the compromise was worth it considering how well they did on snow and ice. Would buy another set of I had an SUV again. Now I run a set of Hakka 8 studded on my FWD Mazda and they are epic for traction.

My Ride
    2013 4Runner

Ordered replica TRD Pro wheels and blizzaks for my 4runner from UrbanX. can't wait til the snow comes

My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2

I had Bridgestone Blizzaks DMV1 and has a hard time wearing them out.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by KrisYYC View Post
    Yeah and I'm ok with faster tire wear running winters year round versus the inconvenience of having to swap tires twice a year. Especially with the surprise snowfalls we get in late Spring or early fall. Sure would have been nice to have winter tires a couple of weeks ago!
    It's like 20 minutes to swap to a second set of wheels? I don't get why thats an inconvenience. Can literally do it in a parking lot.

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

Quote Originally Posted by jaylo View Post
    I had Bridgestone Blizzaks DMV1 and has a hard time wearing them out.

Yep I find this as well. Parents have had DMV1's on their RDX (now upgraded to a MDX, but kept the winters) since 2012 and they're still not even close to the wear bars.

My Ride
    FB6

Quote Originally Posted by A2VR6 View Post
    Yep I find this as well. Parents have had DMV1's on their RDX (now upgraded to a MDX, but kept the winters) since 2012 and they're still not even close to the wear bars.
    Another vote for the DMV1's. Same situation with my parent's CRV which had them since ~2011. They still looked great with plenty of tread this winter.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    It's like 20 minutes to swap to a second set of wheels? I don't get why thats an inconvenience. Can literally do it in a parking lot.
    You aren't swapping wheels in 20 minutes with a factory emergency jack. Plus (for some people, not I) getting dirty is an issue. And lots of sedans don't have the space to haul 4 extra tires in them. Then there is storage.

And of course, usually when you think to swap them or need them, the weather is complete shit.

As I am starting to find out in my old age, convenience and low stress is starting to matter to (finally) matter to me. You also have to own a second set of rims ($$$$$) for said 2nd set of tires. Mounting and balancing at most places is easily $20/tire or more now. And you have to go there (I don't know the rates of the mobile guys).

If you drive as much as most city folk do (not much), winters year round isn't a bad idea. Ideally you have both, but then you also have two sets of rims and tires and a place that can store them.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Any experience with Michelin pilot Alpin PA4 on a 400hp+ awd car? I want the best performance this winter, not sure what to buy... Thx

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    Any experience with Michelin pilot Alpin PA4 on a 400hp+ awd car? I want the best performance this winter, not sure what to buy... Thx
    Best performance winter tires or best winter driving performance?

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Best winter driving performance I suppose, but isn’t there a correlation? Lol

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    Best winter driving performance I suppose, but isn’t there a correlation? Lol
    Haha I believe you will sacrifice some snow and ice traction for some extra dry pavement traction with performance winter tires.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

I will take my truck out on the days that are extra shitty. Just want a really good performance winter tire that Will be good on my homemade snow rally track and to be a hooligan in the snow with.

Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 20 ... LastLast