Quantcast
2018-2019 Winter tire discussion - Page 11 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018-2019 Winter tire discussion

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Then you should be doing what the rally guys do - studded skinny tires for maximum pressure and bite on the snow.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Then you should be doing what the rally guys do - studded skinny tires for maximum pressure and bite on the snow.
    Great, thanks for advice. Will start shopping for a set now.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    I will take my truck out on the days that are extra shitty. Just want a really good performance winter tire that Will be good on my homemade snow rally track and to be a hooligan in the snow with.
    Then don't get a performance winter tire. The only performance benefits with those are on dry pavement (based on my experience with a couple different sets). If you want it to perform on anything but pavement, go for an all out winter tire.

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    You aren't swapping wheels in 20 minutes with a factory emergency jack. Plus (for some people, not I) getting dirty is an issue. And lots of sedans don't have the space to haul 4 extra tires in them. Then there is storage.

And of course, usually when you think to swap them or need them, the weather is complete shit.

As I am starting to find out in my old age, convenience and low stress is starting to matter to (finally) matter to me. You also have to own a second set of rims ($$$$$) for said 2nd set of tires. Mounting and balancing at most places is easily $20/tire or more now. And you have to go there (I don't know the rates of the mobile guys).

If you drive as much as most city folk do (not much), winters year round isn't a bad idea. Ideally you have both, but then you also have two sets of rims and tires and a place that can store them.
    Just store them at your parent's place, no?
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    an econo box

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    You aren't swapping wheels in 20 minutes with a factory emergency jack. Plus (for some people, not I) getting dirty is an issue. And lots of sedans don't have the space to haul 4 extra tires in them. Then there is storage.

And of course, usually when you think to swap them or need them, the weather is complete shit.

As I am starting to find out in my old age, convenience and low stress is starting to matter to (finally) matter to me. You also have to own a second set of rims ($$$$$) for said 2nd set of tires. Mounting and balancing at most places is easily $20/tire or more now. And you have to go there (I don't know the rates of the mobile guys).

If you drive as much as most city folk do (not much), winters year round isn't a bad idea. Ideally you have both, but then you also have two sets of rims and tires and a place that can store them.
    This exactly.

I don't mind getting my hands dirty, but I live in a fairly inner city condo and work space/storage space would be an issue. I'd rather just get a new set of tires put on and be done with it for a few years.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Any experience with Michelin pilot Alpin PA4 on a 400hp+ awd car? I want the best performance this winter, not sure what to buy... Thx
    I ran PA2s on my CLS550. You can drive surprisingly hard in dry cold conditions. On the days where there’s a lot of snow and ice, it’s like every other Performance winter, wishing you had true winters in traffic. It does it’s job, I’ve driven many winter trips out to BC in winters over plowed roads, very sure footed. It was slow as balls on the ice lake track though, but fun as hell. Here’s some footage with me driving in the CLS on PA2s vs Civic with Nokian studded.

Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Seriously considering getting Hakka studded 9s for my highlander. We don’t daily drive this car so I think I’m ok with the extra road noise when we do use it. Reason I am thinking of getting them is I occasionally drive up north to fort Mac or Grand Prairie in the winter and I think I would feel far safer with the studded tires. Any reason I shouldn’t get them? I previously had blizzaks for the last 4 winters, which imho were the best when they were brand new, last winter they didn’t feel that great.

My Ride
    2008 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    Seriously considering getting Hakka studded 9s for my highlander. We don’t daily drive this car so I think I’m ok with the extra road noise when we do use it. Reason I am thinking of getting them is I occasionally drive up north to fort Mac or Grand Prairie in the winter and I think I would feel far safer with the studded tires. Any reason I shouldn’t get them? I previously had blizzaks for the last 4 winters, which imho were the best when they were brand new, last winter they didn’t feel that great.
    I have nothing but great things to say about this tire with studs. Best winter tire I've had. Used it with rear chains on the X5 too, and pulled 3/4 ton trucks out of the ditch.
    Name:  kmt7mkA.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  63.5 KB

For my sled truck (3/4 ton), I got Cooper Discoverer M+S LT285/75R16 with studs, and some chains for back up.
    Name:  cKrkkjK.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  56.6 KB

But I'm the most excited about my new plow, which will be replacing my snow snowblower (drive backwards with the tractor).
    Name:  MB6jG4S.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  87.9 KB

Mounts to a 2" hitch on the front of the pick up
    Name:  vsNPB7K.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  53.1 KB

Snowblower I'll be selling
    Name:  JAWv0G4.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  49.2 KB
    Current Cars:
    2019 BMW X3 M40i Stage 2, 12.44 at 110mph
    1972 Chevy Super Cheyenne C10 Pickup 402 big block, 700R4
    2004 GMC 2500HD 8.1L

Past Cars:
    1970 Chevy Blazer, 2wd
    2003 BMW X5 4.6IS Doushmobile, moneypit
    2015 Ford Fiesta ST | Cobb Stage 1, catless downpipe
    2008 Corvette Z06 - 11.39 at 123.8mph
    2002 Corvette Z06 - 12.10 at 116.5mph
    2005 Jeep Wrangler LJ
    1993 5L Mustang - 12.59 at 108mph
    1989 5L Mustang
    1990 Jeep Cherokee
    1991 Acura Integra RS 403Honda

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Thanks for the advice everyone, and thanks Rage for the comparison. On the search now for a good winter setup, finding something that will clear the brakes will be the difficult part.

@ Ekliptix, I think you'll enjoy the coopers. I slapped them on my truck when that huge storm hit Calgary several weeks ago and it was beastly through the snow and ice when comparing with the wrangler duratracs I had on before. Performance not great in the fields where I spend most of my time, but hopefully that will change once everything has a layer of snow on it.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Anyone know where I can find a copy of the C&D winter tire test? Apparently the new one has Coopers coming in #1 and the big three(Xice, Hakka & Blizzak) near the bottom or out of the top 5.

Quote Originally Posted by cyra1ax View Post
    Anyone know where I can find a copy of the C&D winter tire test? Apparently the new one has Coopers coming in #1 and the big three(Xice, Hakka & Blizzak) near the bottom or out of the top 5.
    Tire tests are complete bullshit unfortunately. Well... I shouldn't say "complete" bullshit, but they are far too flawed to use with any sort of authourity on the subject.

There are far too many variables that affect how a tire performs in any given situation to take those tests and apply them broadly across the market. The testers are only capable of testing in a very limited set of parameters. So while they may have test X, Y and Z brand on a rear wheel drive 3 series BMW at -9 degrees Celsius and come up with a list of results, if the temperature varies by 10 degrees the next time, or the car was a front wheel drive or weights 1000lbs more, or even a different driver at the wheel, maybe on a different road surface (think concrete vs asphalt) the results would reflect something completely different than the initial test.

This is a perfect reflection of the conditions we experience all across Canada. The tire I would personally use if I lived in Kelowna or Vancouver would be completely different than the tires I would use in Calgary for example, and depending on use and driving styles, the options will vary again.

My point is don't reply on these tests when making a decision because they are incredibly flawed and while we like to think this stuff is unbiased, the testing is very easy to manipulate. I have been on more ride and drives and tire testing events than you could imagine, and it is always a good giggle to us all that no matter which tire company puts on the tests, their tires invariably always come out on top.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    Tire tests are complete bullshit unfortunately. Well... I shouldn't say "complete" bullshit, but they are far too flawed to use with any sort of authourity on the subject.

There are far too many variables that affect how a tire performs in any given situation to take those tests and apply them broadly across the market. The testers are only capable of testing in a very limited set of parameters. So while they may have test X, Y and Z brand on a rear wheel drive 3 series BMW at -9 degrees Celsius and come up with a list of results, if the temperature varies by 10 degrees the next time, or the car was a front wheel drive or weights 1000lbs more, or even a different driver at the wheel, maybe on a different road surface (think concrete vs asphalt) the results would reflect something completely different than the initial test.

This is a perfect reflection of the conditions we experience all across Canada. The tire I would personally use if I lived in Kelowna or Vancouver would be completely different than the tires I would use in Calgary for example, and depending on use and driving styles, the options will vary again.

My point is don't reply on these tests when making a decision because they are incredibly flawed and while we like to think this stuff is unbiased, the testing is very easy to manipulate. I have been on more ride and drives and tire testing events than you could imagine, and it is always a good giggle to us all that no matter which tire company puts on the tests, their tires invariably always come out on top.
    I love that we have our own resident tire expert on here!

I'm aware that the tests are generally bs and should be taken with a grain(mountain?) of salt. What I'm more curious about on that test in particular is why they've bumped the three most popular and well regarded winter tires out of the top three spots. Seems very odd. Especially when I can't find any passenger car sizes for their top pick, the Cooper Discoverer True North(in my five minutes of googling I can only find SUV sizes).

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post

I agree... I think generally you can say that the newest technologies will result in the best wear, performance and traction BUT isn't always "necessary" or applicable and they should be more consistent for sure.

For me, I'd rather use a good snowflake rated all terrain on a part-time 4x4 system, simply because I feel that there is too much traction using a conventional Winter tire on the transfer case, and typically as this is applicable to trucks or big SUV (body on frame) there is already reasonable weight.

In Calgary, I feel we deal with much more ICE than snow, so any of the premium Winters with an Ice bias'd with a software compound and more sipes work better here, but adversely against our often "bare pavement" condition thanks to our daytime temperatures and chinooks

Then if you grew up in Montreal/Winnipeg/Ottawa, where its more snow packed, a luggier snow bias'd (usually cheaper too) tire is more than sufficient and usually self cleaning and stays that condition from Nov to April. In fact my favorite tire for years on a truck for the winter was the old Wrangler AT/S and even got away using the original MT/R with custom siping

I guess its all fit for purpose really, but "generally" the more premium the tire, the overall better the tire.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

So I asked some friends in Edmonton about studs and they told me studs are illegal for use in Edmonton? I couldnt find any evidence online to back that up though so maybe bs

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

So I asked some friends in Edmonton about studs and they told me studs are illegal for use in Edmonton? I couldnt find any evidence online to back that up though so maybe bs
    Smells like bullshit to me.

Just curious, as I am having a hell of a time finding an 18" rim that will clear the callipers on my car.. Is there a huge performance difference between running an 18 vs 19"? I'm fine with paying more for the 19's, just don't want to sacrifice too much performance. Thanks gents.
    Last edited by BavarianBeast; 10-30-2018 at 02:57 PM.

My Ride
    LNF

Not true.

Untrue. There are zero regulations on studs in Alberta whatsoever. They can be driven year round here.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Got my federal Himalayas swapped onto the odyssey this week. As always good service from Bob and the crew at Urban Expressions North.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

Smells like bullshit to me.

Just curious, as I am having a hell of a time finding an 18" rim that will clear the callipers on my car.. Is there a huge performance difference between running an 18 vs 19"? I'm fine with paying more for the 19's, just don't want to sacrifice too much performance. Thanks gents.
    No there shouldn't be. The only downsides to a 19 vs a 18 is cost which you covered and possibly less selection on tires/tire sizing (may not be an issue for your application anyways)

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Got the hakka 9s installed this morning which was fine and definetly more noisy but the faster you go it doesnt seem to be much more difference, still can listen to music/podcasts fine. I'll have to remind my wife that its the sound of safety, the thing that annoyed me was they gave me all my bald winter tires back which I didnt notice until I opened my trunk FFS.

Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast