Quantcast
2018-2019 Winter tire discussion - Page 12 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 22 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018-2019 Winter tire discussion

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

I took my friends vehicle to Urban Xpressions in the SW last week. Went to get two sets of replacement tires. Ended up getting a set of Federal Himalayas. Great service by Jordan and his team.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Got my federal Himalayas swapped onto the odyssey this week. As always good service from Bob and the crew at Urban Expressions North.
    Jordan @ UrbanX Horton will be putting my new set on this weekend, wicked price on those. How do you find they handle?

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    I took my friends vehicle to Urban Xpressions in the SW last week. Went to get two sets of replacement tires. Ended up getting a set of Federal Himalayas. Great service by Jordan and his team.
    Haha, looks like Jordan is selling those to everyone lately!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Have had them for a couple seasons and they are very good. Quite happy with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Pizza preferences are more polarizing than politics.

My Ride
    Lariat

+1 for Urban X, best guys in town for wheels/tires. I've had the Federal Himalayas on a few vehicles and they are amazing winters. I would say better than the blizzak WS80s I had on my a4 avant.
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by Swank View Post
    Jordan @ UrbanX Horton will be putting my new set on this weekend, wicked price on those. How do you find they handle?

Haha, looks like Jordan is selling those to everyone lately!
    I had them on my Zonda a few years back (I still have them). They handle really well. When you factor in the price, its a good deal.
    Im still very happy with them and got them put on my friends Suberu.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

I'm heading over to see Jordan tomorrow to get my 19" winter contact SI's mounted on a TTRS. Can't wait for another solid snowfall.

Quote Originally Posted by A2VR6 View Post
    No there shouldn't be. The only downsides to a 19 vs a 18 is cost which you covered and possibly less selection on tires/tire sizing (may not be an issue for your application anyways)
    Not necessarily true. The benefits to an 18 over a 19 would be the tire has more a bit more sidewall which first offers the rim a bit more protection against impacts etc on potholes and so forth which is nice with our crappy roads, especially when you can't see them under the snow. This extra sidewall also gives the tires a little more flexibility which does translate into a bit better traction, especially when you are driving on snowy/icy uneven road surfaces. Lastly, you will generally find more aggressive winter options in 18 inch tire sizes than you will in 19 inch tire size options simply because the options they generally make in most 19 inch sizes take better dry weather handling etc into account, sacrificing on winter stick to achieve this since most of the vehicles they are going on are sportier by nature.

It all just depends what the first priority is for the user and what they are willing to sacrifice a bit to achieve their main goal.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Maybe too late, but I have PA4s on the wagon. published 577hp, but we all know they are underated.

Have been happy. lugs aren't very deep when new, but I win every contest at the stop light. haha Stopping is pretty good, but it is a performance tire. Deep snow is sometimes shit. But I've never gotten stuck.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    Maybe too late, but I have PA4s on the wagon. published 577hp, but we all know they are underated.

Have been happy. lugs aren't very deep when new, but I win every contest at the stop light. haha Stopping is pretty good, but it is a performance tire. Deep snow is sometimes shit. But I've never gotten stuck.
    For our W213 E63 winter packages, MB has chosen to outfit those with Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4's as well. All of the other MB line up vehicles, get mounted with Pirelli's.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    Not necessarily true. The benefits to an 18 over a 19 would be the tire has more a bit more sidewall which first offers the rim a bit more protection against impacts etc on potholes and so forth which is nice with our crappy roads, especially when you can't see them under the snow. This extra sidewall also gives the tires a little more flexibility which does translate into a bit better traction, especially when you are driving on snowy/icy uneven road surfaces. Lastly, you will generally find more aggressive winter options in 18 inch tire sizes than you will in 19 inch tire size options simply because the options they generally make in most 19 inch sizes take better dry weather handling etc into account, sacrificing on winter stick to achieve this since most of the vehicles they are going on are sportier by nature.

It all just depends what the first priority is for the user and what they are willing to sacrifice a bit to achieve their main goal.
    all very valid points. Personally if I was having issues finding the smaller diameter wheel to clear brakes etc, I would just settle for the larger diameter but if all else is equal i'd personally go with the smaller diameter.

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

Got my studded Hakka 9's on last week just before the first snowfall here in Edmonton that stayed on the road, so good timing. And like others mentioned, studs are fine in all of AB (this is my 5th vehicle with studded hakka's). Pic:
    Name:  IMG_20181030_1135254.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  76.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_20181030_1135169.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  89.7 KB

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

^ That setup looks dope! Thought it was an E63 at first glance lol.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Go to get my winters on today... they received 3/4 wheels.. 4th is the wrong hub... doh! Particularly shitty considering the weather on the way home... get them fixed tomorrow, but get to drive in this shit

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Ya just drove on ice down 17th ave SW towards 101st and it was shear ice there were some cars in the ditch too. No problem with the hakkas

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Just threw on some studded Firestone Winterforce 2 on the Crosstrek and went out for a drive on the slick ass roads around my house, feels solid, but I don't know much about tires and these are my first winters in the 20 years of driving. Feels confident. Downsized from factory 18s to 16s for the winter.

Also put my new jack to the test, never lifted the whole front/read before, always had side jacks only, so it's a big upgrade for me all around.

My Ride
    2018 Audi RS3

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    Smells like bullshit to me.

Just curious, as I am having a hell of a time finding an 18" rim that will clear the callipers on my car.. Is there a huge performance difference between running an 18 vs 19"? I'm fine with paying more for the 19's, just don't want to sacrifice too much performance. Thanks gents.
    Probably late to the game, but I was able to find an 18" for my RS3 that clears the callipers. Not sure what vehicle you are fitting on, but look at Neuspeed wheels (i have the RSe10)
    Last edited by nickyh; 11-06-2018 at 02:41 PM.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I might finally put my winter tires on soon I guess.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

I currently rock Toyo Observe Garit KX, when I do need to switch in a few years, I'm leaning towards some Yokohama Iceguard IG52C. Anyone have experience on these?
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2

Weather is clearing up starting tomorrow and clear skies for at least a week so I would not worry too much about it yet.

My Ride
    V6 Hybrids

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    I currently rock Toyo Observe Garit KX, when I do need to switch in a few years, I'm leaning towards some Yokohama Iceguard IG52C. Anyone have experience on these?
    Ask us again in a few years lol
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 22 ... LastLast