2018-2019 Winter tire discussion - Page 9 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 19 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018-2019 Winter tire discussion

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by blownz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    but not having the best tires possible
    Your assumption that newer designs of tires are better/the newer design of a tire inherently means a better product is extremely poor logic. The companies do this so people like you will buy their "latest and greatest" product, even though (especially in the case of tires) many, many times in the tire market there has been a distinct trend of "new" designs being inferior to old designs.

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    many, many times in the tire market there has been a distinct trend of "new" designs being inferior to old designs.
    Really? Examples of this please.

Most of what I have seen the tires keep getting better. The only exception would be the high mileage tires with low rolling resistance where to make those "improvements" they make it handle or ride worse. But then they are still "better" for what those shoppers are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallowed_point View Post
    Season 3 on my Toyo G3-ICE winters. They're wearing pretty well and still provide good traction. Wish I went with studs though as gf has Hakka 9's...
    Same for me, except mine are studded.

Still rock solid

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by blownz View Post
    Really? Examples of this please.
    Blizzacks, nordfrost gislaved, general arctic altimaxes, xice, hakkas, all of them in the past 5 years have had instances where "new models" have been inferior to older ones. I'm not going to look up every instance of it for you.

You say "most of what you've seen". Well, I've seen and tested most of them

Blizzacks, nordfrost gislaved, general arctic altimaxes, xice, hakkas, all of them in the past 5 years have had instances where "new models" have been inferior to older ones. I'm not going to look up every instance of it for you.

You say "most of what you've seen". Well, I've seen and tested most of them
    I wouldn't necessarily blanket statement this. With model changes there are always going to be improvements maybe in one way, but it will often come at the sacrifice of another aspect. Using Blizzaks as an example, as the compounds have advanced, they may provide a bit lower level of pure ice traction compared to some of the previous generation models, but now they have improved dramatically on the attainable mileage which was always people biggest complaint in the earlier days, so the new model provides more of a balance between high traction and better wear. Is that worse or better? That depends on what your personal preference is of course, but I would not say that it makes one worse than the other overall.

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    I wouldn't necessarily blanket statement this. With model changes there are always going to be improvements maybe in one way, but it will often come at the sacrifice of another aspect. Using Blizzaks as an example, as the compounds have advanced, they may provide a bit lower level of pure ice traction compared to some of the previous generation models, but now they have improved dramatically on the attainable mileage which was always people biggest complaint in the earlier days, so the new model provides more of a balance between high traction and better wear. Is that worse or better? That depends on what your personal preference is of course, but I would not say that it makes one worse than the other overall.
    Agreed with bob.

The blizzaks are wearing much better compared to previous generations and can drive faster on them without that squishy feel. The winter traction is still excellent and that's probably a worthwhile trade off.

My Ride
    something green

Into my second winter on Nokian Rotiiva at's. I won't be buying another set, I'll be going back to Pirrelli scorpions for the next set. My truck is usually an unstoppable machine in any weather because of its heft, but on the nokian, it's been average at best. I am carrying my chains in the box for the first time in years now. The positive of keeping a vehicle so long and putting more than 450,000 kms on it, you sure learn what tire it likes and doesn't like. The next set will mean I will have purchased 54 tires for it since I've owned it.
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    an econo box

Default School Me on Winter Tires

Good day all,

I've decided to buy winter tires for my econo-box commuter Chevy Cruze, however I've never bought winters before and would like some advice on which ones are good value, which to avoid etc. I've noticed the Canadian Tire Motomaster ones seem be a good price and get decent reviews online, but I'd like to hear from beyonders as well.

I don't put a ton of mileage on the car, about 12,000km/year and majority is on deerfoot during off-peak times. My area is mostly plowed too. So I'm thinking I might just get a good set of winters and just use them year round? Or do winters wear out a lot faster than all seasons?

I don't have a specific budget, I'll pay what it costs to get what I need, but obviously I don't want to go overboard and buy tires that are way overkill for my needs.

Any help is appreciated!

Kris

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Year round winters are a decent idea. Kal tire sells "all weather" tires that are a reasonable compromise too.

What size and bolt pattern do you need? I'm selling some winters right now fit cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    NC1

Get a set of all weather tires. My girl uses Goodyear Assurance and said they worked really well for her during this recent storm. Another friend has said good things about Toyo Celsius. Good luck!
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    an econo box

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Year round winters are a decent idea. Kal tire sells "all weather" tires that are a reasonable compromise too.

What size and bolt pattern do you need? I'm selling some winters right now fit cheap.
    P215/60R16 and bolt is 5x105mm I believe.

Thanks for the replies so far guys, looks like running them year round isn't an issue so that's good to hear. Considering the mileage I do in a year I'll probably just run them year round, and really we only get about 3 months a year where winter tire traction isn't really needed anyway

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    Get a set of all weather tires. My girl uses Goodyear Assurance and said they worked really well for her during this recent storm. Another friend has said good things about Toyo Celsius. Good luck!
    I saw the ratings on TireRack and was surprised about the GY Assurance WeatherReady. Was gonna get them but they were not in stock when I was there and ended up getting X Ice. I was there after we had that 2 days of bad weather and was a bit desperate and didn't want to wait. Of course the forecast is looking great for the next 2 weeks!

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve....jsp?type=GTAS

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Definitely don’t get a dedicated winter if you plan to use them year round. Get an all weather tire.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    Definitely don’t get a dedicated winter if you plan to use them year round. Get an all weather tire.
    I strongly disagree. Only 12k kms per year total, a set of winters would last OP 4 years of all season driving, except they'll actually work in the winter time vs no-seasons.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I strongly disagree. Only 12k kms per year total, a set of winters would last OP 4 years of all season driving, except they'll actually work in the winter time vs no-seasons.
    Yea this - you want the tires to handle the WORST of the roads out there, not trade off for ideal conditions.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I personally disagree they will last that long with summer driving involved, not even the Champiros cab companies use wear well on hot summer days.

Anyone swapping back for this week? Just got my winters on Friday as I booked the appointment in back in September lol.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    I personally disagree they will last that long with summer driving involved, not even the Champiros cab companies use wear well on hot summer days.
    ~6000kms in temps above 7c, annually, is nothing for winters.

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadboss101 View Post
    I saw the ratings on TireRack and was surprised about the GY Assurance WeatherReady. Was gonna get them but they were not in stock when I was there and ended up getting X Ice. I was there after we had that 2 days of bad weather and was a bit desperate and didn't want to wait. Of course the forecast is looking great for the next 2 weeks!

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve....jsp?type=GTAS
    X-Ice is good. Tread life is excellent compared to the Blizzaks.

Yes. She loves the tires so bonus points for me

You are correct out of stock so I ordered mine from Quattro tires in Que and took 1 week.

As for running winters year round, I would still opt for all weather year round.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 19 ... LastLast