Quantcast
2018-2019 Winter tire discussion - Page 29 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 19 28 29 30 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018-2019 Winter tire discussion

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Questions for those who have used studded tires....

Are they pretty noisy when driving, especially on the highway? And do they chew up driveways and parkades pretty badly?

I'm kind of on the fence on getting them (or winter tires in general). I don't actually drive a whole lot to begin with, but having them would certainly give me a lot of piece of mind when I take the occasional trip out to the mountains to snowboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Maybe, and no.

I haven't noticed highway noise being any different, but as mentioned above, it's highly dependent on how loud your car is to begin with. A well-insulated car, you won't notice the diff. Econo-shitbox, you probably will.
    It also depends on tire design and stud patterns. Some are more noisy than others just because the way they are laid out in the tire.

For the most part studs just make a low hum on the highway, and around town at low speeds you can detect the clickity click a bit, especially if you have the window down on a chinook day a bit or are driving close by a wall reflecting sound back. Understand it isn't like you can't sit there and have a normal conversation with the person beside you or just turn the radio up a little, but some people are just fixated on any sound different from the normal sound and obsess and fixate on it. Like me and a clock that ticks. The second I hear it, I can't unhear it and I fixate on it until I smash it or pull the batteries, so needless to say we have no ticking clocks in the house. If you are like that with your vehicle sound then you will be annoyed, but the vast majority of people only notice it at the time they put them on and take them off, and then in short order they adjust and never really notice again as it just becomes the normal sound, not unlike people without an unhealthy aversion to ticking clocks.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Dry-steering with studs on that driveway should be a criminal offence. Uppercut at a minimum
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Dry-steering with studs on that driveway should be a criminal offence. Uppercut at a minimum
    To some people like me, it is car art! Perspective my friend...

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

I am running Hakka 9 on my car and General Altimax on my other car. They were noisier than my previous non-studded tires but I got used to them after a week or so. But yes definitely try to avoid turning on dry pavement.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    @rage2 needs to fuck his cousin's dad... Wait! That means!!!

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Is this a reasonable ask for a set of 5 Hankook i*pike RW11 on OEM Jeep rims or is he out to lunch with his pricing? The owner said they only put about 5000km on it cause it was on their third vehicle.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...64360632043697

My Ride
    2013 Toyota RAV4

I bought a used car a year and a half ago and have winter tires that came with the car. They are Nokian Hakkapeliittas with 5/32" tread left. The car also came with brand new Goodyear Assurance Weatherready all-weather tires that have about 2 years of use on them. For someone who will likely be working from home for the winter, drives from Edmonton (stupid Edmonton) and Calgary once a month and out to the mountains occasionally, what is the best way to go for tires?

1. Switch over to the winters and use them for one more season
    2. Leave the all weather tires on
    3. Buy new winter tires

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Are the winters on rims?

If so use them until they aren’t good anymore and then replace. Maybe you have a season, maybe you have a month. Doesn’t really matter.

Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Is this a reasonable ask for a set of 5 Hankook i*pike RW11 on OEM Jeep rims or is he out to lunch with his pricing? The owner said they only put about 5000km on it cause it was on their third vehicle.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...64360632043697
    RW11 is discontinued for sure and hard to say with certainty but those look like 2012 production based on the DOT. He doesn't really show a shot of the tread depth so hard to say what it is like. If the rims are mint and the tires are in good shape and have been stored well with the compounding still feels good and pliable, $750 is not a bad ask at all for a set of five.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    RW11 is discontinued for sure and hard to say with certainty but those look like 2012 production based on the DOT. He doesn't really show a shot of the tread depth so hard to say what it is like. If the rims are mint and the tires are in good shape and have been stored well with the compounding still feels good and pliable, $750 is not a bad ask at all for a set of five.
    Thanks Bob! Should there be any concerns with tires that old if they are from 2012?

Thanks Bob! Should there be any concerns with tires that old if they are from 2012?
    It all depends how well they were taken care of. I personally am not worried so much about the age specifically, but it does suggest to be pay closer attention to condition. Look for signs of drying and hardening like crazing/cracking on the sidewalls and in between the tread blocks etc.. There is a big difference in aging between tires store in a climate controlled garage away from ozone producing electric motors and out of contact with any oils and chemicals versus tires laying in a farmers field for 8 years covered in spilled diesel haha!

My Ride
    Z

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It’s loud with the windows down for me as the E Wagon insulates well. I expect it to be loud as fuck on the Sienna. The engine runs only 1/2 the time and I can hear all the road noise already with all seasons.

My driveway has been OK, but my cousin who showed up in a heavy SUV with Hakkas scratched up my driveway nicely from turning while stopped. Chinese drivers lol.

Attachment 102612
    yea we get that on the driveway and some on the garage slab because its close to unavoidable for my wife to turn on dry pavement since our garage is 90* to the driveway. Oh well concrete doesn't last forever and we drive in a LOT of blizzards and inclement weather to go skiing so I think the benefits vastly outweigh the negatives.
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

So one of my continental wintercontact si’s (245/40/19) has exploded and the tire seems to be discontinued and sold out of old stock everywhere I’ve looked. The other 3 are practically brand new. What is the best option to replace? Just find a continental with a similar tread pattern? Thanks in advance

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    So one of my continental wintercontact si’s (245/40/19) has exploded and the tire seems to be discontinued and sold out of old stock everywhere I’ve looked. The other 3 are practically brand new. What is the best option to replace? Just find a continental with a similar tread pattern? Thanks in advance
    If you can find a used tire roughly the same then that’s easiest but that’s pretty rare in my experiences (often can find some but they want to sell the tires as a set, not just one).

In the past I just end up swapping two tires and keep one matching set on the back and one set on the front and swap them back and forth yearly.

Depends on the car... Even with a FWD I would personally be getting a minimum of two if going to a different tire just so the depths and casing structure matches on the same axle avoiding any pulling issues etc, but some super finicky AWD cars don't really even like two mis-matched pairs.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

I was browsing through Canadian Tire website. And its showing the Deerfoot location can order 1 in still and arrival in 1-5 days.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Thanks everyone and thank you djrice! Your a life saver. Canadian tire wouldn’t show me any option to order. Didn’t know it could change based on location. Cheers!

My Ride

Thanks everyone and thank you djrice! Your a life saver. Canadian tire wouldn’t show me any option to order. Didn’t know it could change based on location. Cheers!
    If you strike out there, try finding the Plus model from Canadian Tire as well. Tread looks similiar to the older WinterContact Si but just slightly updated.
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Thanks again. Canadian tire fell through with the order but hoping @GTR_Auto can hook me up!

My Ride

If not, I have a used set of 245/40R19 Toyo Garit KX winter tires I'm not using anymore and can sell but I'm in Edmonton

Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 19 28 29 30 ... LastLast