Quantcast
2018-2019 Winter tire discussion - Page 31 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 21 30 31 32 ... LastLast
Results 601 to 620 of 641

Thread: 2018-2019 Winter tire discussion

  1. #601
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Homeless
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    7,935
    Rep Power
    69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But they have to buy them from Kal, so you pay even more.
    You could argue that about any tire distributor
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

  2. #602
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz
    Posts
    22,846
    Rep Power
    101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But they have to buy them from Kal, so you pay even more.
    But you don’t have to deal with Kal haha. I have no idea if I pay more or not.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

  3. #603
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Fiesta ST
    Posts
    1,190
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    My Hakka 10's were only 650$ mounted and balanced through Kal tire. Was cheaper than I expected tbh. Granted they're tiny ass 15" wheels though.
    Nolan

  4. #604
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Homeless
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    7,935
    Rep Power
    69

    Default

    Jesus. I typically pay closer to that cost per tire
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

  5. #605
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    06 S2000
    Posts
    5,063
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My Hakka 10's were only 650$ mounted and balanced through Kal tire. Was cheaper than I expected tbh. Granted they're tiny ass 15" wheels though.
    This was a rollercoaster.
    "Oh, $650, that's really good! Oh. 15" rims, nevermind."
    I think when I grabbed Hakka 8 SUV tires a few years back for the 4Runner, I paid... $1500 for the tires? That was with a discount too.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.

  6. #606
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    335d, FRS
    Posts
    6,943
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Drove to Jasper the long way today on some 4 season old performance winters, was really pleased with them, other people weren’t so pleased that I was passing them in legal passing zones and two lane highways.

  7. #607
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,008
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    I have been pleased with the performance of my Toyos in this weather, a solid winter tire.

  8. #608
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    1,236
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prae View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The blizzak dmv2s I've got on both vehicles have been somewhat underwhelming in the deep freeze. Enough that I might finally splash out for some hakka's next time I buy.
    What's been underwhelming about them? Traction and braking are excellent. They handle poorly and they're very loud though.

  9. #609
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Calgary AB
    Posts
    2,299
    Rep Power
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What's been underwhelming about them? Traction and braking are excellent. They handle poorly and they're very loud though.
    Man, no point in trying to break down stuff like this, truthfully. People will disagree with you just as you will disagree with them. I can line up 10 guys and let them test 10 different tires and every single one of those tires will have lovers and haters. Just the way it is. There are too many variables that affect how a tire behaves, functionality, preference, etc to blanket call a product good for all or bad for all.

    Even your comment for example... You say you find them loud, but I have tons of customers who rave about how smooth and quiet they are! Haha! Just like some people say they are slippery while others say they are the stickiest thing in the world. It just isn't as simple as that. Change the temps by 15 degrees, or put them on a heavier vehicle or a lighter vehicle, aggressive driver, passive driver, FWD versus RWD versus AWD let alone accounting for the traction bias, road construction material, etc etc etc... All these things, and way more, have radical effects on how a specific tire performs in any given situation.

  10. #610
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles
    Posts
    467
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Man, no point in trying to break down stuff like this, truthfully. People will disagree with you just as you will disagree with them. I can line up 10 guys and let them test 10 different tires and every single one of those tires will have lovers and haters. Just the way it is. There are too many variables that affect how a tire behaves, functionality, preference, etc to blanket call a product good for all or bad for all.

    Even your comment for example... You say you find them loud, but I have tons of customers who rave about how smooth and quiet they are! Haha! Just like some people say they are slippery while others say they are the stickiest thing in the world. It just isn't as simple as that. Change the temps by 15 degrees, or put them on a heavier vehicle or a lighter vehicle, aggressive driver, passive driver, FWD versus RWD versus AWD let alone accounting for the traction bias, road construction material, etc etc etc... All these things, and way more, have radical effects on how a specific tire performs in any given situation.
    There was a lady a while back that hated her Blizzaks, turned out someone had sold her the LM001 runflat versions for her Nissan Altima or some car like that

  11. #611
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Fiesta ST
    Posts
    1,190
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Lots of vehicles don’t have a proper limited slip diff or they try to electronically simulate one by braking one wheel (but sometimes only when turning). No amount of amazing winter tire is going to give you the traction some people seem to expect. But they can still go around turns or stop incredibly quick. Plenty of grip with 4 tires but 1 tire spinning can only do so much.
    Nolan

  12. #612
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Unicycle
    Posts
    10,861
    Rep Power
    100

    Default

    Yes the correct test of winter tires is stopping and turning. A pickup truck on worn all seasons can get moving from a stop light just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I almost shat myself after eating way too much at lunch with @killramos so ya, we can start the diaper thread now.

  13. #613
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    (maah raahde)
    Posts
    5,732
    Rep Power
    35

    Default

    What do you guys do for directional tire rotations? Back-to-front and front-to-back over and over? Or do you guys remount and swap sides when the need arises?

    For you guys with the full-sized spare, are you guys just using a plain old symmetric all-season/all-weather tire and leaving it out the rotation?

  14. #614
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles
    Posts
    467
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For you guys with the full-sized spare, are you guys just using a plain old symmetric all-season/all-weather tire and leaving it out the rotation?
    No evidence that it's worth the hassle rotating in the 5th tire, regardless of what internet jeep owners have convinced themselves is the case

  15. #615
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Unicycle
    Posts
    10,861
    Rep Power
    100

    Default

    For tires you change seasonally? Mark them when you take them off in the spring and install in different position.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I almost shat myself after eating way too much at lunch with @killramos so ya, we can start the diaper thread now.

  16. #616
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Fiesta ST
    Posts
    1,190
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Mark em when I take them off and then have a look when I put them on next season to see where to put them. Most grippy always go on the front. If they’re directional I never remount them. Only do front to back rotations.
    Nolan

  17. #617
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    ES Art Room
    My Ride
    #SadLife
    Posts
    2,703
    Rep Power
    85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For tires you change seasonally? Mark them when you take them off in the spring and install in different position.
    This

  18. #618
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Saskatoon SK
    My Ride
    General Motors Competizione
    Posts
    1,061
    Rep Power
    46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For tires you change seasonally? Put them on wherever, the chances that you're going to put any on the same corner they were taken off from are pretty damn slim.
    Fixed that for you maybe? It's getting pretty late in the day for statistics, but I wouldn't give two shits about what goes where. I might measure tread depth and put the deeper ones on the front (edit: deeper ones on the back, you stupid fuck) but that's it.

    I noticed the guy that changed my tires over marked them with the corner they came from, but as long as no more or no less than one tire is mounted on each wheel I don't really care.
    Last edited by SKR; 01-09-2022 at 07:41 AM.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

  19. #619
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Unicycle
    Posts
    10,861
    Rep Power
    100

    Default

    Probably the right attitude. Reps sent.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I almost shat myself after eating way too much at lunch with @killramos so ya, we can start the diaper thread now.

  20. #620
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles
    Posts
    467
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Actually, Beyonders shouldn't be keeping vehicles long enough to worry about rotating tyres

Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 21 30 31 32 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 2018/2019 Ski and Snowboard Thread

    By D'z Nutz in forum Sports, Health & Fitness
    Replies: 18
    Latest Threads: 09-27-2019, 12:13 PM
  2. OFFICIAL: 2018-2019 NHL thread

    By ganesh in forum Sports, Health & Fitness
    Replies: 386
    Latest Threads: 06-14-2019, 11:27 AM
  3. Calgary Flames MEGA THREAD 2018-2019 Edition

    By D'z Nutz in forum Sports, Health & Fitness
    Replies: 970
    Latest Threads: 04-23-2019, 09:32 AM
  4. FS: 2018-2019 Calgary Flames Season Tickets

    By locust in forum Event Tickets / Attraction Passes
    Replies: 0
    Latest Threads: 06-15-2018, 10:29 AM
  5. FS: 2018-2019 Calgary Flames Season Tickets - Up to 20 Games

    By logi in forum Event Tickets / Attraction Passes
    Replies: 0
    Latest Threads: 05-16-2018, 08:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •