Quantcast
2018-2019 Winter tire discussion - Page 23 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 13 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018-2019 Winter tire discussion

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

I run the Toyo’s on my truck for winters and I really like them.

If you keep your cars I would get a second set of rims, steelies or a cheap set of rims. And step down to 18 or 17 they will be cheaper.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I need some winters on mighty new Zonda CRV. How exciting.
    I need some advice. I got some dumb ass questions.

It has 19inch OEM Rims. Do I run OEM rims and do the tire swap. or... Im debating running 18's with oogly steel rims. Does anyone know if running 18's will give more sidewall cushion? Im tempted to go back to Bob and get 18's on the Federal Hymalayas (they don't come in 19inches). They were pretty good on my old vehicle. But it was a manual. So I was always able to judge the grip and feed the power with the clutch. But here is dumb ass question(don't judge). This is my first automatic with AWD. The computer is doing the work. I don't know how good a decent budget winter tire is? Any inputs?

Honda quoted me 19inches on:
    TIGER PAW ICE & SNOW 3 - UniRoyal
    Observe GSi-6 LS - Toyo

I don't know anything on the UniRoyal and Toyo brand for winters. Any inputs?
    My experience has been 19” are way more expensive compared to 18”, and also have way fewer options for some reason.

110% for getting 18” on some cheap aftermarket alloys (they’ll be very nearly the same price as steelies but lighter and not ugly).

Just call @tirebob .

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Tirebob is the answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

I don't know what the Hakkas cost but the Pirelli Ice Zeros are just under 1k.

Are Hakkas still exclusive to kal tire?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I picked up some Hakka 10s for the minivan the day I ordered it. Integra tire saw stock dwindling in September so I got lucky. And ya Karl tire still exclusive.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

I need some winters on mighty new Zonda CRV. How exciting.
    I need some advice. I got some dumb ass questions.

It has 19inch OEM Rims. Do I run OEM rims and do the tire swap. or... the Federal Hiymalayas (they don't come in 19inches).
    They do come in 19" sizing. Either not in your specific tire size or you have to find them through a different supplier (North Country Tire). I have 19" Federal Himalaya Inverno K1's on my Highlander. 245/55R19

I ran Toyo Garit KX which is now Observe GSI-6 when I used to winter drive my Infiniti and they were good. I liked them.
    Last edited by dj_rice; 09-30-2021 at 10:20 AM.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Anyone can comment on Michelin Crossclimate 2?

Wonder if they are good option for people who don't want to run 2 sets of tires on their Rav4/CRV.

Sounds good on paper.

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    110% for getting 18” on some cheap aftermarket alloys (they’ll be very nearly the same price as steelies but lighter and not ugly).

@tirebob .
    This! (Or even 17” if your brake calipers allow for it)

Steelies suck. Aside from what was already mentioned, you can’t easily clean behind them during winter and when they start rusting they tend to promote more rust among anything around the hub area that can also rust.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Anyone can comment on Michelin Crossclimate 2?

Wonder if they are good option for people who don't want to run 2 sets of tires on their Rav4/CRV.

Sounds good on paper.
    Not a winter and not a summer all season. Like any middle grounder there will be sacrifices in both directions, but yes, absolutely it is a tire you can run in all seasons. In winter it will be a little better than a standard all season for sure but in summer it will be mushier and wear more poorly than a standard all season. It comes down to how you drive etc. The biggest complaints I have had from that tire has been unever wear/feathering causing it to get noisier as time goes on. If you just toodle around as a commuter car then not so bad, but if you put on long drives where the tire gets hot and stays hot, or if you are a bit of a heavy foot, you really want to watch the wear and be on top of rotating them around more often.

This said, of the all weathers it is a little more aggressive for the winter compared to many. The rule used by the RMA that determines whether a tire can be branded as an AW (3PMS and M&S combined) rather than just an AS (M&S only) is that the tire has to demonstrate a 10% improvement in severe winter conditions over a benchmark standard all season. That really is fuck all and nobody really knows what they use for a benchmark all season. That said, some are definitely better in winter than others, but generally the best in winter are the suckiest in summer.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    They do come in 19" sizing. Either not in your specific tire size or you have to find them through a different supplier (North Country Tire). I have 19" Federal Himalaya Inverno K1's on my Highlander. 245/55R19

I ran Toyo Garit KX which is now Observe GSI-6 when I used to winter drive my Infiniti and they were good. I liked them.
    @dj_rice Interesting... are you happy with the Federals on the Highlander?

Edit. I called the North Country tire to locate who would have the size. They don't have my spec in that size.
    Last edited by tonytiger55; 09-30-2021 at 03:17 PM.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

@dj_rice Interesting... are you happy with the Federals on the Highlander?

Edit. I called the North Country tire to locate who would have the size. They don't have my spec in that size.

IMO they work good. Nice looking tread. Look similiar to Blizzak DM-V2's design. And didn't break the bank for what I paid $160/tire so worth it IMO. Under-rated tire I think. Should of got them studded though.

What size is yours? Maybe you can change the sizing to whats availible below in their 19"

Name:  Screenshot 2021-09-30 152933.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  37.0 KB
    Last edited by dj_rice; 09-30-2021 at 03:30 PM.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    Not a winter and not a summer all season. Like any middle grounder there will be sacrifices in both directions, but yes, absolutely it is a tire you can run in all seasons. In winter it will be a little better than a standard all season for sure but in summer it will be mushier and wear more poorly than a standard all season. It comes down to how you drive etc. The biggest complaints I have had from that tire has been unever wear/feathering causing it to get noisier as time goes on. If you just toodle around as a commuter car then not so bad, but if you put on long drives where the tire gets hot and stays hot, or if you are a bit of a heavy foot, you really want to watch the wear and be on top of rotating them around more often.

This said, of the all weathers it is a little more aggressive for the winter compared to many. The rule used by the RMA that determines whether a tire can be branded as an AW (3PMS and M&S combined) rather than just an AS (M&S only) is that the tire has to demonstrate a 10% improvement in severe winter conditions over a benchmark standard all season. That really is fuck all and nobody really knows what they use for a benchmark all season. That said, some are definitely better in winter than others, but generally the best in winter are the suckiest in summer.
    Thanks Bob. I know there would be compromises but that 640 UTQG and 6 year/100k warranty intrigues me. Didn't think such tire can last that long.

My cousin is in Halifax and he just bought his 1st car in Canada. Living in a condo, space is limited and their temp usually 5-10c warmer than us. Hence it sounds like this would be a good compromise.

If he's over here, I'll ask him to get winters and store it at my place and call it day.

My Ride
    *The First*

Thanks Bob. I know there would be compromises but that 640 UTQG and 6 year/100k warranty intrigues me. Didn't think such tire can last that long.

My cousin is in Halifax and he just bought his 1st car in Canada. Living in a condo, space is limited and their temp usually 5-10c warmer than us. Hence it sounds like this would be a good compromise.

If he's over here, I'll ask him to get winters and store it at my place and call it day.
    I'm sure they're good, but they won't last that long and tire warranties are about as useless as a thing can be.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    IMO they work good. Nice looking tread. Look similiar to Blizzak DM-V2's design. And didn't break the bank for what I paid $160/tire so worth it IMO. Under-rated tire I think. Should of got them studded though.

What size is yours? Maybe you can change the sizing to whats availible below in their 19"

Name:  Screenshot 2021-09-30 152933.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  37.0 KB
    Mine is 235 55 R19.
    Buying tires was not a issue. I wanted to buy the wheels and tires together, 19inches. Do it right once, then for the next 6-7 years its just a case of swapping wheels. Ive just been caught out this year financially with life events. I don't want 18's on steelies. I cant get the 19's to throw them on my OEM. There are other options. Im trying to figure out a way to keep my business with Bob. I think Im going to go the cheap route and then fix this problem next year.

My Ride
    *The First*

Mine is 235 55 R19.
    Buying tires was not a issue. I wanted to buy the wheels and tires together, 19inches. Do it right once, then for the next 6-7 years its just a case of swapping wheels. Ive just been caught out this year financially with life events. I don't want 18's on steelies. I cant get the 19's to throw them on my OEM. There are other options. Im trying to figure out a way to keep my business with Bob. I think Im going to go the cheap route and then fix this problem next year.
    OEM wheels are for winter tires in Alberta, period.
    Buy fancy rims in the spring with some wicked sticky, summer tires.
    Profit.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

“Fancy rims” usually look like shit
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    “Fancy rims” usually look like shit
    Something forged in Japan like Work, etc.

Tire mileage warranties aren't worth the paper they are written on... I am the first to say it. In my 34 years of doing this I can count on one hand how many people I have seen successfully pull it off and make it worth the headaches they give you. Rated for and attainable warranty should be transposed, and even then consider it in an ideal scenario and environment.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

Thinking about going a different route for 3/4 ton truck winters this year. I usually run the Hankook Ipike studded, and while I've been very satisfied with their winter performance I want a more aggressive tread pattern. Considering the Toyo Open Country CT studded this time around.

Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 13 22 23 24 ... LastLast